The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2006 -2012) [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Newer posts have been relocated to the current thread:
The information contained in this wiki post is accurate as of September 2, 2015.

See LAWA website for fare info and purchase tickets: http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/default.aspx#FFares

A few important notes for visitors:

1. Unlike many similar services in other international airports, there are no FlyAway ticket vending machines or ticket counters at LAX. For Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Westwood, you can purchase tickets on the bus with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit or debit card. For Union Station and Van Nuys, purchase tickets at the kiosk located when the bus discharges you, also with a valid credit card. Union Station customers may additionally purchase FlyAway tickets via Metrolink ticket machines, which are located on the floor below the FlyAway stop. These ticket machines accept US currency (except pennies) in addition to credit and debit cards. Select a "LAX to LA Union Station" trip, and ask one of the attendants for help if you can't figure out the machine.

2. Tickets are good for 30 days so you can purchase them well in advance of your trip to and from LAX. The bus driver will scan your ticket or mobile device as you board.

3. If you have no ticket (and going to Union Station), the driver will tag your luggage to "hold". When you arrive at Union Station, you will be directed to purchase a ticket at the vending machine. Once you show the proof of fare, you will be allowed to claim your luggage.

4. Catch the bus at the Arrival Level (lower level) roadway center island. Look for GREEN sign that states FLYAWAY, BUSES, LONG DISTANCE VANS.

Some tips:

1. The FlyAway departure schedule from LAX is the times the buses are scheduled to leave Terminal 1 Arrival Level. It typically takes at least 30 minutes for the bus to complete the pickup from Terminal 1 all the way to Terminal 7. If you are at the north side terminals (T1, T2, T3) and just missed a FlyAway bus, you can beat it to the other side of the airport by walking across LAX using ground level crosswalk and sidewalk, and catching the same bus at the south side terminals (T4, T5, T6). Walk across the airport will take about 10~15 minutes depending on your exact locations.

2. If you are connecting to Amtrak, Metro, Metrolink, and Megabus services at Union Station - Consult this map for locations of various service: http://media.metro.net/projects_stud...hure_v7_rb.pdf

And some useful info here: http://www.metro.net/about/union-station/

3. Make sure you get on the right bus. The destination sign is displayed in front of the bus.

The Union Station and Van Nuys service utilize fullsize Van Hool buses. These buses are white with light blue FlyAway logo - see here

The Hollywood/Expo Line, Westwood, and Santa Monica service utilize midsize Ford cutaway buses. These buses are white with dark blue FlyAway logo - see here
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2006 -2012) [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
No more cash payments.

Credit card only.

Kinda weird, 'cause for years it was cash only, no credit cards.

Maybe somebody figured out there was a little cash "disappearing." @:-)
Yes, the cash part was annoying since it's not so easy to get change from the bus lady. They always ask for exact change, so one time, I gave her a bag of coins. She didn't seem to care, nor did she count it.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:50 pm
In memoriam

Yep, cash only was a pain. No miles!

But, since coming from LAX you pay on getting to Van Nuys I wonder what they do with someone who has cash but no credit card?

By the way, fare is now $7.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
$7 each way now-Union Station LAX

As reported above.$14 rt as of yesterday.And I paid cash at the Union Station ticket booth with no problem
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:12 pm

C l a r i f i c a t i o n

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
No more cash payments.

Credit card only.

Kinda weird, 'cause for years it was cash only, no credit cards.

Maybe somebody figured out there was a little cash "disappearing." @:-)
This is for the Van Nuys Flyaway, the Union Station Flyaway still accepts cash, debit & crebit cards (Visa, AMEX, MasterCard).
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by stimpy
Wait, you are flying First and you can't spend 25 quid on a taxi? I assume you are using air miles, but still. If you are traveling first class, you should do it end to end.
I used Flyaway for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was nicer and more comfortable than an LA taxi! Only 20 minutes from Union Station to LAX on a Monday afternoon.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:25 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Earlier this month at VNY every automated ticket machine was out of order. So the person in the booth was the only way to pay. Still would not take cash though.

I don't get it. Why not have automated ticket machines that take currency? The security at the VNY Flyaway is very heavy. There are one or two armed LAX policeman there 24/7, and tons of cameras.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Welcome to the 21st century. You can now buy FlyAway tickets online...

http://lawa.org/newsContent.aspx?ID=1665
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Does the transit day pass work on these? I saw you can use their RFID card, but nothing about passes.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Does the transit day pass work on these? I saw you can use their RFID card, but nothing about passes.
No. Flyaway Buses are not operated under the Metro umbrella.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull

Metro day pass does not work on FlyAway but the monthly LA countywide EZ Pass does.

EZ Pass is now a sticker on Metro TAP card (the RFID card).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.