Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: aa
LAX lay over

Next week, I have 8 hours lay over at LAX coming from HND going to LHR. I'm on AA. So what do I do with my 8 hours. Don't really want to sit in FS lounge for that time if I can avoid it.
Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...ns-thread.html
Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread
The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)
What are fun things To do In Los Angeles?
How do you do an In-N-Out run from LAX or other LA area airports? [merged threads]
Studio tours: Warner Bros. vs. Paramount vs. Sony vs. Universal
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1823281-layover-video-guide-16-hours-los-angeles.html
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Grab a rental car and head down to Manhattan Beach. Much less crowded and touristy than Santa Monica or Venice Beach and closer to LAX anyways.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
As suggested in the other thread this is not a one sized fits all situation.

Is this:
Solo travel/couple/family/friends?
Have you been to LA before?
What generally interests you in a city?
Is this layover to be done on a budget or are you looking to splurge a bit if you find an activity you like?

LA traffic can be quite a nightmare so plan accordingly to either allow plenty of time to get to the airport on the return or plan activities so that your last one is closest to the airport.

Originally Posted by Bryan Murphy
Next week, I have 8 hours lay over at LAX coming from HND going to LHR. I'm on AA. So what do I do with my 8 hours. Don't really want to sit in FS lounge for that time if I can avoid it.
Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
As suggested in the other thread this is not a one sized fits all situation.

Is this:
Solo travel/couple/family/friends?
Have you been to LA before?
What generally interests you in a city?
Is this layover to be done on a budget or are you looking to splurge a bit if you find an activity you like?

LA traffic can be quite a nightmare so plan accordingly to either allow plenty of time to get to the airport on the return or plan activities so that your last one is closest to the airport.
Opps. My bad.
Just me.
Oh yeah. Many times but timing did not work out between flights this time. Usually just couple of hours in lounge. Not this time
Interests in LA. Good question. To kill time, I suppose. But one thing. I have never been on a bus in LA. lol
Luckily, i don't have to do budget.
Thank for help.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The FlyAway bus is a good cheap(er) way to get from the airport but since you're not doing this trip on a budget I'd suggest Uber/Taxi back from whatever you decide to do.

-Clear Immigration & Customs with any baggage recheck
-Maybe a stop by the lounge, if you have access, for a shower which requires reclearing security.
-Many people love In-N-Out burger. It's a cheap but good for its quality fast food option, but I'd suggest heading to Santa Monica for some fish tacos instead and hit the pier for some touristy amusement.
-I find the walk of fame to be just a crowded mess of people and it smells like pee
-The Griffith Observatory is a beautiful location and good spot to visit.
-Rodeo drive is flashy and if you want to pickup something nice it has plenty of it but if you're not shopping I'd avoid it. The Third Street Promenade is a good alternative and is in Santa Monica
-La Brea tar pits & Art Museum are next to each other making it convenient.
-If you enjoy architecture there is the Greystone Mansion.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-I find the walk of fame to be just a crowded mess of people and it smells like pee
I tell that (more or less) to everybody who comes to visit. Nonetheless they all need to see Hollywood and Vine, and they all come back and say "yeah, you were right"
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:00 pm

-La Brea tar pits & Art Museum are next to each other making it convenient.
And the Petersen Auto Museum.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Bryan Murphy.

Walk to In N Out? Eat a 4x2 with extra whole grilled onion as the heavies land?

<mod hat on>
Please follow the redirect as we send this to our LA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:53 pm

Solved

Thanks everyone. A friend says he will be staying home from work, since he "feels" a bad cold coming on the day I'm in town.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Last time I went to La Brea tar pits, I walked what seemed like miles there from the Chinese Theatre and back along Wilshire to a Metro station and saw one bus the whole time (weekday)!

If you do go to the Hollywood Walk Of Fame (agree that it's a touristy pile of <deleted by moderator> that once you see, you'll never want to visit again), it's nice to walk down Hollywood? and go to In N' Out down there across from the high school.
Suppose it's handy having the Metro station right there rather than having to walk quite a few blocks from the Flyaway bus stop.

Non-exciting hour each way on the Metro from Union Station to Santa Monica although cheaper and more direct on the Big Blue bus from somewhere near the airport.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 1, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reason: FT Rule 16: "Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed."
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Last time I went to La Brea tar pits, I walked what seemed like miles there from the Chinese Theatre and back along Wilshire to a Metro station and saw one bus the whole time (weekday)!
It is a long way to walk. About 4.5 miles, and takes a good deal of time (since jay walking is a capital crime in Los Angeles, you are constantly waiting for lights to change at intersections).

You just got unlucky on the buses. L.A. has one of the largest bus fleets in the U.S., but you have to be on the right north-south major street to catch them in that part of the city. For example major north-south thoroughfares Highland and La Brea are only about 300 yards apart, but I don't believe buses run on Highland at all. Once on Wilshire, you should see a bus every 8-10 minutes.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
In-N-Out is NOT worth going out of your way for, IMO. It's a decent, above average fast-food burger; the place is open late (usually till 1:00 or 1:30 AM), so handy for late-night food cravings. It is NOT a "beefy" pub- or burger-joint burger. Beef flavor is mild to almost nonexistent, frankly. Menu is very limited. There, you've been warned!
jackal likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Six hour layover in LAX. What to do?

In a couple of weeks, I'll have a six hour layover in LAX after flying in from PVG. I guess I could spend six hours in a lounge, but I rather not unless there is a very good lounge at LAX? I'm scheduled to arrive at 14:05 and flying out of LAX at 20:05. I do have TSA-Precheck. I have never been to LA before. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You should read this thread, which is three down from your new post. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.