Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Stamos
...and would want to be at Terminal 7 by about 8:00 to check in and then go though Immigration.
There is no "go[ing] through immigration" when the departing the US.

If both your flights are on United, you should simply check your bag all the way through to Australia when you check in for your first flight. There is no need to claim it at LAX.

Five hours should be sufficiently long to go to Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach. There are plenty of suggestions earlier in this thread as well as here.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
There is no "go[ing] through immigration" when the departing the US.

If both your flights are on United, you should simply check your bag all the way through to Australia when you check in for your first flight. There is no need to claim it at LAX.
OK, thanks.

Different airlines. So will I be able to check my luggage in early, or will I be stuck with it all day?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stamos
Different airlines. So will I be able to check my luggage in early, or will I be stuck with it all day?
If the flights are on the same ticket, or if both airlines are in the same alliance, you probably will be able to check your luggage through from origin to destination. If not, United's ticket counters are open throughout the day and you should be able to check your bags early.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:02 am

25 hour stopover in L.A

Hello, I arrive this November at 9am from a flight from Seoul. I have a full day to explore the city. What arevthe absolute top things to see in a day. Also, what are some great places to eat. We are staying at the Hyatt Place by Lax and got a car rental. One thing I want to try is good fish tacos.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
If you have the time to spare, the Southern California iconic burger chain IN-N-Out is not far from the airport and WELL worth a stop. Three ways to get there:

1) Cab (probably less than $5)
2) Walk (about 20 minutes from T3)
3) Ride the Parking Spot Sepulveda shuttle, which drops you off next door to In-N-Out. Don't tell the driver you don't have a car parked at the Parking Spot garage--they tend to frown on people using their shuttles to visit In-N-Out...

One of the airport shuttles goes to the city bus center, which I understand is not far from In-N-Out, but I'm not personally familiar with this option. Perhaps someone can give a fourth option to get there that works well...
Hopefully some one caught this already, but a minimum cab fare out of LAX is $25..and even that is with an evil glare by the cabbie.

HP
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by HighPotter
Hopefully some one caught this already, but a minimum cab fare out of LAX is $25..and even that is with an evil glare by the cabbie.

HP
Holy old-post-quote, Batman! I'll edit the post to make reference to that.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:15 pm
Suspended

I am ariving at 5.30 pm(17.30) on UA international and leaving at 12.30 am,so I have 7 hours,my priority is 1.Sleeping,2 Sleeping. What I want to do is gom to a cheap motel and crash. How much time would this realistically leave me in the room,I have no checked luggage.The Places I have been looking at are something like 2 kilometer from LAX,they have shutles,but I realy do not trust hotel shutles,would it be better to take the free LAX shutle to a place close to a stop? How much is a cab for that sort of distance,if some realy close places have a realy reliable shutle I might og a bit upmarket,the quality of the room is totaly unimportant,but getting a bit more sleep is!!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Sep 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by geirfugl
How much is a cab for that sort of distance
There's a minimum fare of something like $25 (IIRC) from LAX, no matter how short of a cab ride it is.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geirfugl
I am ariving at 5.30 pm(17.30) on UA international and leaving at 12.30 am,so I have 7 hours,my priority is 1.Sleeping,2 Sleeping. What I want to do is gom to a cheap motel and crash. How much time would this realistically leave me in the room,I have no checked luggage.The Places I have been looking at are something like 2 kilometer from LAX,they have shutles,but I realy do not trust hotel shutles,would it be better to take the free LAX shutle to a place close to a stop? How much is a cab for that sort of distance,if some realy close places have a realy reliable shutle I might og a bit upmarket,the quality of the room is totaly unimportant,but getting a bit more sleep is!!!
You have about 3 hours to catch some sleep. I think it is too long for a power nap and too shot for a real good rest.

Which hotel did you book? 2 km is still within the airport zone so I would assume the shuttle is reliable. It may even be in walking distance.

I would DEFINITELY not take a cab.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
New rental car option:

Found out that Zipcar has cars near LAX. http://www.zipcar.com/losangeles/find-cars

For those that don't know, Zipcar is a car sharing service where you rent a car by the hour. I used it a bit when I was going to school at UCLA.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WaxComb
New rental car option:

Found out that Zipcar has cars near LAX. http://www.zipcar.com/losangeles/find-cars

For those that don't know, Zipcar is a car sharing service where you rent a car by the hour. I used it a bit when I was going to school at UCLA.
Looks like it is located at Avis lot, which in my opinion negates the convenience factor of Zipcar because you still have to take shuttle buses to/from the airport. If it was located at Park One lot or in the central parking structures, I think it will be used a lot more by people on short layover.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
I've got a 24hr layover from 8pm October 11th and considering my first college football game at Cal v UCLA at the Rose Bowl on the 12th. Most sites show the game start to be TBA except for Stub Hub which shows 1pm.

What's the latest start time for the game that would get me to TBIT in time for BA 268 at 9 30pm?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
IMO, any starting time after 3 PM would be risky unless you are willing to leave the game before it ends.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
OK thanks - how soon till they finalise the schedule?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by mattyw
OK thanks - how soon till they finalise the schedule?
Generally when TV broadcast schedules are finalized about a eight to ten days before game day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.