Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by pmorrison
I fly into LAX at 2.30pm and fly out at 11.45pm. Can anyone give me any ideas of what we could do to fill in time? My son hasnt been to LA before, so I thought it would be good to take him down to Hollywood. Ca anyone tell me the best way to get there? or any other ideas???

Pmorrison
Hollywood itself is a bit of an anticlimax--it's run down. LA has spent money fixing the place up and there is currently a lot of construction in the area.

I'd suggest renting a car and driving to Grauman's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Boulevard--there is lots of parking around there. The theater is where all those hand prints are--you can see all the stars on Hollywood Blvd too--plus the Kodak theater that hosts the Oscar's.

You could also drive down to the La Brea Tar Pits on Wilshire--it's close by Grauman's. Make sure you have change for the meters. Also, if you park on the streets read the signs carefully. There are main streets where you are not allowed to park from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.: if you do, you will be towed (that would kill some time for you )

You could drive up around Beverly Hills and see where all those Hollywood types live.

Just a few things to do. You will need a car--it's probably cheaper than paying taxis.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
On the way back from TPE, I stopepd over in LAX again. This time I had a solid five hours and I put them to good use. I went to Venice Beach and met two hotties, preceeded to get them dunk and entered the Body Shot Zone, where time, space, flesh melds into a cornucopia of lights, sounds, tastes as salt, lime, tequila, sweat, and saliva mix.

Oh yeah, I even made it to In and Out too!

So next time, my dear Flyer Talk brethern, when you are in LAX and have an hours long layover, do the LAX layover right.

Not sure if you've flown yet, but I would suggest leaving the airport ASAP. While its not all that exciting during the day, LAX sucks after 10pm.

My advice, take a quick taxi ride to Venice Beach and enjoy the people-watching show. Be careful though, your son could wind up in the Body Shot Zone.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 18, 2017 at 11:47 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Excellent follow-up.

In-N-Out is a favorite excursion of mine when I have a few hours at SFO.

I may try the In-N-Out at LAX next week (if I don't feel like spending the dough at Encounter ).
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
Time warning

9 hours might seem like a lot, but let's do some math. It will probably take you at least an hour to get your bags and your rentacar and hit the road. On the other end, you have to allow plenty of time to check in your car and get to the airport itself; everything at LAX is offsite and requires shuttle buses. THEN you have to make sure you get to the terminal and in line early enough to make your flight.

I'm thinking this leaves you 4 or 5 hours in town, which frankly isn't that much. LA is really, really big and spread out, so as others have mentioned, pick a thing or two and stay close to the shore. Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West LA, those are good choices. Hollywood is not. You can drive up and down most any streets in BH and see beautiful houses; some belong to people you've heard of, most aren't, but they are still very nice houses. Walking the bluff in Santa Monica is a good suggestion, perhaps adding the SM Pier. The beaches are not much and parking is expensive.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:56 pm
In memoriam

Randy's Doughnuts

If I had a relatively short LAX layover, I would head to Randy's Doughnuts, 805 West Manchester at the 405 Freeway. Its hopping any time after 5am or so. Open 24 hours. Was featured on the Simpsons (remeber the giant doughnut on top of the store that Homer was disappointed to discover was not real?). Doughnuts good, coffee so-so (but a little whiskey could help it out) and atmosphere 100% authentic L.A. And 5-10 minute cab ride from LAX. Tell the cabbie to turn off the meter and buy him a doughnut and coffee, I love the cream filled chocolate long-johns. Sometimes you will find the Culver City Fire Dept. in full regalia and with trucks lined up for breakfast.

As for the beaches suggestions above, all good, but water near LAX is not so very clean. I prefer Newport Beach or Zuma (north of Malibu). Too far for a short layover.

Last edited by biggestbopper; Jul 20, 2006 at 7:19 pm
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not sure why the water near LAX isn't so clean? Heal The Bay rates Manhattan Beach an "A". I'd have to look up the others, & it's not really that relevant for the purposes of this thread.

This is the 2nd thing I've learned that's near LAX that I didn't know about before - Randy's dougnuts & some Buggy place.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:20 pm
In memoriam

It's that big sewage plant right by LAX (Hyperion) thant makes me nervious. Go for the doughnuts!

But, the beach towns (e.g. Mannhattan Beach) are great for a beachside stroll, dining and sightseeing.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:54 am
JTG

Programs: UA/AA/SW/MR Gold/Hyatt/HH
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
It's that big sewage plant right by LAX (Hyperion) thant makes me nervious. Go for the doughnuts!
No need to be worried about the Hyperion plant. Dockweiler and El Segundo Beaches are consistently highly rated for quality. Usually better than the beach south of the Manhattan Pier. Though Dockweiler is directly under the departing flight paths of LAX.

But, the beach towns (e.g. Mannhattan Beach) are great for a beachside stroll, dining and sightseeing.
In most cases, I would recommend the beaches in Manhattan Beach because of the other amenities that are not available at El Segundo Beach. But the OP had only 4hrs and, though it's a relatively short drive to the south, it would still take an extra 1/2hr away from his time at the beach.

SkiAdcock, I can understand not knowing about the Buggywhip, but Randy's Doughnuts? Inconceivable. It was even in Randy Newman's "I love LA" music video. If someone ever buys it to tear it down, I imagine it will quickly be given Historical Landmark status.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Late Night Layover at LAX - food/drink?

Hi All -

Doing a mileage run on Saturday and will be at LAX from about 9pm until 1:30am ... I know Encounter is closed then, and not sure about the places in the International terminal.

Should I catch a hotel van for a nearby bar? Anywhere nearby where I can still get back safely in time for my return flight?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:55 pm

Go To the Bradley Terminal many Things to do I once spent the night there
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:38 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I don’t know if this kind of thing appeals to you, but if you take the free shuttle to the green line metro station, you come upon the Wild Goose, a bar with, er, entertainment.

Better check on how late the shuttle runs back, else you will end up taking a cab.

Hope the strippers don’t cost you more than the mileage run.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
If you want to stay in the Central Terminal Area, Tom Bradley is your best bet as they have some fast food restaraunts that are pre-security. The fast food places that are there are the Hamada Express (Chinese and Japanese food), El Paseo (Mexican), Euro Coffee and Haagen Dazs, Sushi Boy, the Daily Grill, and, of course, McDonalds. There's a bar-ish place in the Daily Grill. I never tried since I am underage but it's there in the upper mezzanine along with the other restaraunts.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Thanks everybody ...much appreciated!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Daily Grill has reliable food and decent service.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kentski
Hi All -

Doing a mileage run on Saturday and will be at LAX from about 9pm until 1:30am ... I know Encounter is closed then, and not sure about the places in the International terminal.

Should I catch a hotel van for a nearby bar? Anywhere nearby where I can still get back safely in time for my return flight?
The Marriott has a nice sports bar... could always jump on that shuttle. May want to call the hotel, but I would imagine that it is open (I think the Bar is called Champions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.