Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is it any good? Have you been there before?
What Chis said is exactly right.
Yes, I have been there many, many times but not a very exciting place....Home goods, Petsmart, Container Store, CB outlet, Nordstrom Rack, and I think maybe some sporting goods store in addition to a very big WF. Other than the WF, which it sounds like you are interested in, there is no reason to go unless you are looking for something specific. A little further south (actually right next to this strip center) is The Point. https://thepointsb.com/ The Point has some nice stores and restaurants. Across from The Point (across Rosecrans) is Manhattan Village mall...Macy's is the anchor store and then other upscale stores (Apple store, Williams Sonoma, Kiehls, Gap, West Elm, Anthropologie etc.)
There is also a bus service between the beach cities and LAX & it looks like it stops at The Point, Plaza El Segundo but I don't know much about it. https://www.redondo.org/depts/recrea...it/default.asp
If you are walking from a hotel to the WF and get hungry along the way, this is a good stop as they sell very good pizza by the slice. https://primepizza.la/
It is right on Sepulveda before you pass Top Golf. There is also a lot of prepared foods at WF and there are tables set up in the store to eat.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and chrisl137 like this.

Last edited by corky; Jul 23, 2023 at 12:35 pm
Old Jul 24, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
At the far east end of Plaza El Segundo shopping center is the Northern Cafe serving some of the best Chinese food in the area.
Good fresh food in a very clean facility.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
There are 2 nearby Whole Foods: The first one is in El Segundo which has been mentioned already. The second one is in Playa Vista which is located in the Runway shopping center and there are also several restaurants and a Starbucks in the same complex.

https://plazaelsegundo.com/

https://www.runwayplayavista.com/

Neither are really walking distance from LAX so you have to take a taxi or uber. The Playa Vista location is more walkable once you get there... there is an outdoor plaza and lots of nearby parks and walking trails. The El Segundo location is just a typical suburban sprawl shopping center surrounded by acres of parking lot and super busy roads. But it is also connected to The Point which is another shopping center with more dinning options, and closer to Manhattan Beach if you want to make a combo visit.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't sure whether to put this here, in the "where to eat at LAX" or Terminal/Landside modernization threads. Or somewhere else entirely.

With the completion of airside connectivity throughout LAX, LA Times finally did an article on it - one of their reporters did a two-mile walking tour of the airport and wrote about things to see and do airside. I have a subscription and am not sure what the access is without one, but it's probably some small number of articles per month.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Fortunately, the article was archived.
​​​​​​
Quote:
Thanks to a recently completed connection between LAX’s Terminal 3 and the Bradley International Terminal, ticketed travelers have the freedom to roam all nine terminals without going through TSA multiple times. (Air travel cognoscenti call this unrestricted pedestrian access “airside connectivity.”)

For any traveler who is early or whose flight is delayed, this means access to about 90 eateries, 85 retailers and dozens of artworks and striking architectural features in LAX’s horseshoe arrangement of terminals. Across all of the terminals, it’s a 2-mile, post-TSA, one-way journey, or 2.5 miles if you include the far-flung West Gates of the Bradley International Terminal.
https://archive.ph/8OMw9
corky, DJ_Iceman, econ and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
As word travels about post-TSA connectivity, I expect a growing stream of travelers nipping over to Bradley from Terminal 4.
Interesting read, although kind of an odd comment as this particular airside walkway has been open already for many years.
dlaue and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SAS EBD, IHG Ambassador, HH Gold++
Friday noon to Sunday noon in LA
I have 48 hours on my own in LA in January and have a few things planned that I would like to get your views on.

Flying in from Oslo, Norway on Friday noon and plan on staying at Hyatt Regency LAX, but I'm open to other hotels and areas if it fits with the rest of my plan. Need to kill a few hours before dining at Musso & Frank in the evening (yes, bucket list). What's the easiest way to get there from Hyatt? Uber? Is that like an hour drive on a Friday afternoon, or more? Are there places worth going to in the same area or along the way? Have seen all the tourist stuff before and don't need to repeat.

Picking up a Shelby GT-H from Hertz on Saturday morning and returning it in the evening. Any proposals for a day trip along some nice roads? Did San Diego to San Francisco last year and really enjoyed it, although that was bit more than a day trip. How about going east? Have considered Palm Springs and back.

Sunday will just be a late check out before going to LAX.

Thank you!
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Points4Fun

Picking up a Shelby GT-H from Hertz on Saturday morning and returning it in the evening. Any proposals for a day trip along some nice roads? Did San Diego to San Francisco last year and really enjoyed it, although that was bit more than a day trip. How about going east? Have considered Palm Springs and back.
East is pretty boring...have you done the canyons near Malibu? Take the PCH and drive Topanga Canyon and Mulholland...much better drive than going East on the 10
TWA884 and Points4Fun like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friday noon to Sunday noon in LA
I have 48 hours on my own in LA in January and have a few things planned that I would like to get your views on.

Flying in from Oslo, Norway on Friday noon and plan on staying at Hyatt Regency LAX, but I'm open to other hotels and areas if it fits with the rest of my plan. Need to kill a few hours before dining at Musso & Frank in the evening (yes, bucket list). What's the easiest way to get there from Hyatt? Uber? Is that like an hour drive on a Friday afternoon, or more? Are there places worth going to in the same area or along the way? Have seen all the tourist stuff before and don't need to repeat.

Sunday will just be a late check out before going to LAX.

Thank you!
I am a desert lover and Palm Springs/Palm Desert are both beautiful at this time of the year. A lot of the ride can be boring but once you get close it gets interesting. It is a long way to go for a just a day trip though. Santa Barbara or Ventura can be nice day trips.
An Uber to Musso & Frank will be expensive but there is really no other way to get there other than driving. If you decide to drive, keep in mind that their drinks are pretty stiff! And Friday afternoon traffic in LA sucks (well anytime really but especially then) and it could take longer than an hour. Weather this weekend is beautiful so far so enjoy your tirp!
chrisl137 and Points4Fun like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by corky
An Uber to Musso & Frank will be expensive but there is really no other way to get there other than driving.
It's doable on public transit; however, it's going to be a long ride.

Just take the LAX Metro Connector shuttle from LAX to the Metro C Line (Green Line) station. Take Line C to the A Line (Blue Line), where they meet at the Willowbrook / Rosa Parks station, and take it to the 7th Street / Metro Center station. Transfer there to Line B (Red Line) towards North Hollywood. Get off at the Hollywood/Highland station; from there, it's a short walk, <5 minutes, to Musso & Frank.
Points4Fun likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
It's doable on public transit; however, it's going to be a long ride.

Just take the LAX Metro Connector shuttle from LAX to the Metro C Line (Green Line) station. Take Line C to the A Line (Blue Line), where they meet at the Willowbrook / Rosa Parks station, and take it to the 7th Street / Metro Center station. Transfer there to Line B (Red Line) towards North Hollywood. Get off at the Hollywood/Highland station; from there, it's a short walk, <5 minutes, to Musso & Frank.
This is easily over any Uber transit times...like 60-80 mins?
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by lax01
East is pretty boring...have you done the canyons near Malibu? Take the PCH and drive Topanga Canyon and Mulholland...much better drive than going East on the 10
I have not, but looks good on the maps. So maybe do PCH to Topanga Canyon and up and continue to Santa Barbara and do Mulholland on the way back.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:23 am

TWA884 Tried quoting your post, but I'm not allowed yet. Thank you! How about going on the LAX Flyaway bus to Union Station and on to the Metro B-line to Hollywood/Highland? Should take around 90 minutes according to Google Maps. I have all afternoon and can get there early to test out some of the stiff drinks and don't have to drive.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
TWA884 Tried quoting your post, but I'm not allowed yet. Thank you! How about going on the LAX Flyaway bus to Union Station and on to the Metro B-line to Hollywood/Highland? Should take around 90 minutes according to Google Maps. I have all afternoon and can get there early to test out some of the stiff drinks and don't have to drive.
The FlyAway and the Metro B Line are a viable option. It going to cost a bit more, but is likely to be faster than taking a shuttle and three trains.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I have not, but looks good on the maps. So maybe do PCH to Topanga Canyon and up and continue to Santa Barbara and do Mulholland on the way back.
Topanga is ok... its full of commuters and not the greatest road to drive for fun.

You have the Mustang rental for 1 day so you got precious few hours to get as many of our world class canyon roads in as possible.

I live near LAX and work in Westlake Village so I take the canyons multiple times a week... I will give you a route to follow.

Start at Hertz lot, program your GPS with these way points:
1. Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice Beach (this will take you towards PCH instead of freeway)
2. Las Flores Canyon Road 34.053, -118.640
3. Piuma Road 34.073, -118.683
4. Paramount Ranch, Agoura Hills
5. 2362 Sierra Creek Road, Agoura Hills
6. 1959 Latigo Canyon Rd, Malibu
7. Pacific Coast Highway 34.030, -118.754

This is what I like to call the SoCal canyon starter pack... you cover some of the easier to get to roads. If you are doing this on saturday, this route will take you about 2 hours non-stop. But you would want to stop along the way to take photos so it could easily be 3 hours. There are some good hiking and view points near Paramount ranch.

Once you get back to PCH, you can either turn East (left) to go back towards Malibu or turn West (right) toward Zuma Beach. There are a bunch more canyon roads you can drive.

If you want to turn back towards Malibu, follow these way points
1. Tropicals Freshfruit, 3824+2M, Malibu 34.050, -118.693
2. Mulholland Corridor Overlook, Mulholland Hwy, Calabasas
3. Topanga Lookout Trailhead, Saddle Peak Rd, Malibu
4. Tuna Canyon Trail Head, 2802 Tuna Canyon Rd, Topanga
5. Tuna Canyon, Malibu
6. Malibu Country Mart, 3835 Cross Creek Rd, Malibu

This will complete a loop of Malibu Canyon's finest roads in another hour of non-stop driving. But more like 2 hours if you stop along the way to take in the views.

All of the way points I mentioned above will work with Google Map.

Take a look at this website: https://www.thebackrd.com/

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 24, 2023 at 9:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.