Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:58 am
  #901  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Posts: 14,936
Originally Posted by tff
I'll be arriving from AKL with NZ at 16h40 and departing to EWR with UA at 23h00. It'll be on a Saturday. I'll be flying with a group of friends who haven't been to LA yet. Taking into account the time necessary to pass immigration/customs in the way out of the TBIT and clear TSA in the way into UA's terminal, will we have time to get an Uber and go for a brief walk in Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive or Hollywood? Or is it better to try and get a SDC?

Many thanks in advance.
I’d suggest that you unleash your inner tourist and visit Hollywood. It’s a pity you’re not arriving even earlier, as a bus tour (hop on/off) is something I recommend. Visiting the beach communities is fun: I usually suggest Venice Beach. You could head over to Melrose and enjoy all those funky shops, maybe grab dinner. It’s close to the Dolby Theatre, a tourist Mecca. Give yourself 45 minutes to get back to the airport.

Although it seems like a lot of time, it really isn’t. By the time you arrive back a LAX, you may well spend another 45 minutes getting to your terminal.

Have a good time!
tff and lsquare like this.
ContinentalFan is offline  
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:24 pm
  #902  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 20,206
Originally Posted by BoldAndRestless
As an LA native as well…+1 for the In&Out burgers as well. Yes…tons of other wonderful burger options in LA, but for a “fast food” (not so fast with the long lines), i never hesitate to recommend them.
Is the food actually good? I have to admit I've never been there before!
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:36 pm
  #903  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 21,143
Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is the food actually good? I have to admit I've never been there before!
For indexing and future search purposes, please refer to the following thread and discuss that subject there:Thank you,

TWA884
Moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:28 pm
  #904  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,244
Originally Posted by tff
I'll be arriving from AKL with NZ at 16h40 and departing to EWR with UA at 23h00. It'll be on a Saturday. I'll be flying with a group of friends who haven't been to LA yet. Taking into account the time necessary to pass immigration/customs in the way out of the TBIT and clear TSA in the way into UA's terminal, will we have time to get an Uber and go for a brief walk in Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive or Hollywood? Or is it better to try and get a SDC?

Many thanks in advance.
What do you want to do? Eat? Drink? Shop? Absolutely skip SaMo, Rodeo and absolutely skip Hollywood at this point...
tff, TWA884 and chrisl137 like this.
lax01 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:35 pm
  #905  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,938
Originally Posted by lax01
What do you want to do? Eat? Drink? Shop? Absolutely skip SaMo, Rodeo and absolutely skip Hollywood at this point...
I totally agree with the above. Hollywood is kind of dumpy. It's nicer than it was 25 years ago, but still nothing really to see/do. I tell everybody that when they come visit, they always go, I sometimes take the train and meet them there (if I gave them my car) and just say "I'll find you". They're always at Hollywood and Vine, and they always say "yeah, you were right".

Walking around Manhattan Beach and getting food/drinks/coffee can be very pleasant evening in LA. It's a really nice beach to sit and watch the sun set. If you're going to go farther than MB, I'd maybe aim for Little Tokyo or K-town (which is intermingled with a lot of Oaxacan restaurants), maybe leaning towards K-town so you don't have to deal with traffic into/out of DTLA, which can be bad on a saturday evening because there will likely be multiple events plus people who need to get through to get across the city.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is the food actually good? I have to admit I've never been there before!
At risk of upsetting all the locals, it's ok but nothing special. It's not like White Castle, which are special in their own late night trash food way.

If you're aiming for something local, unique, and cheap, the bacon wrapped hotdog sold on the street, or tacos from a cheap truck would be better choices. They may or may not be good.
corky, tff, TWA884 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by chrisl137; Jul 13, 2023 at 10:41 pm
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:42 am
  #906  
tff
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LIS
Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Posts: 1,190
Many thanks for the great advice, Kacee, Repooc17, elmira56925, downinit, wcpierce, MatthewLAX, BoldAndRestless, zombietooth, WineCountryUA, ContinentalFan, lax01, and chrisl137.

After checking with my friends, we have decided to head to the beach for a stroll, to watch the sunset, and have an early dinner. It'll be either Manhattan Beach or Venice Beach. Do you have any restaurant suggestions? As long as it isn't fast food, any type of cuisine is welcome
lsquare and lax01 like this.
tff is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:39 am
  #907  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,244
Originally Posted by tff
Many thanks for the great advice, Kacee, Repooc17, elmira56925, downinit, wcpierce, MatthewLAX, BoldAndRestless, zombietooth, WineCountryUA, ContinentalFan, lax01, and chrisl137.

After checking with my friends, we have decided to head to the beach for a stroll, to watch the sunset, and have an early dinner. It'll be either Manhattan Beach or Venice Beach. Do you have any restaurant suggestions? As long as it isn't fast food, any type of cuisine is welcome
I just don't know MB that well but there are plenty of great restaurants along Abbot Kinney in Venice. I would absolutely avoid the Venice strand (bike/walking path along the beach) after dark - in terms of restaurants, we really liked Felix Trattoria when we went. Also not that Abbot Kinney isn't really along the beach, its a few blocks away
tff likes this.
lax01 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:54 am
  #908  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 21,143
Originally Posted by tff
Do you have any restaurant suggestions? As long as it isn't fast food, any type of cuisine is welcome
Take a look at these Eater Los Angeles articles:Any of David LeFevre’s restaurants are going to be great.
tff likes this.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:57 am
  #909  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,438
Manhattan Beach or Venice Beach are both fine. But don't sleep on Playa Del Ray which is actually the nearest beach town from LAX. The beach and walking path here is less crowded than Venice Beach and you can enjoy views of planes taking off from LAX. Plus there is less traffic issues going back to LAX since you are literally at the back door of LAX. Playa Provision is a great place to eat too.

https://www.playaprovisions.com/

There is more to do and see in Manhattan and Venice Beach but if you just want to enjoy some beach time and watch the sunset, I would head to Playa Del Rey.
SPN Lifer, OskiBear and tff like this.
bzcat is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:02 pm
  #910  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 21,143
Originally Posted by bzcat
Playa Provision is a great place to eat too.
That's Brooke Williamson's restaurant. She won season 14 of Top Chef.
corky, SPN Lifer, OskiBear and 3 others like this.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:04 pm
  #911  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 31,265
Originally Posted by lax01
I just don't know MB that well but there are plenty of great restaurants along Abbot Kinney in Venice. I would absolutely avoid the Venice strand (bike/walking path along the beach) after dark - in terms of restaurants, we really liked Felix Trattoria when we went. Also not that Abbot Kinney isn't really along the beach, its a few blocks away
I love Felix but it is really hard to get a reservation. No Abbot Kinney isn't along the beach but has lots of great restaurants ( https://gjelina.com/home/ ) and lots of funky stores.

Originally Posted by bzcat
Manhattan Beach or Venice Beach are both fine. But don't sleep on Playa Del Ray which is actually the nearest beach town from LAX. The beach and walking path here is less crowded than Venice Beach and you can enjoy views of planes taking off from LAX. Plus there is less traffic issues going back to LAX since you are literally at the back door of LAX. Playa Provision is a great place to eat too.

https://www.playaprovisions.com/

There is more to do and see in Manhattan and Venice Beach but if you just want to enjoy some beach time and watch the sunset, I would head to Playa Del Rey.
I love Playa Provisions but there really isn't anything else around there. I have not been to the beach in Playa del Rey but is there anything else around other than just sitting on the sand?
If you do make it to Manhattan Beach (and I think Manhattan or Hermosa Beach are your best bets) , a good place to eat with a fabulous view is The Strand House https://www.thestrandhousemb.com/. Depending on the time, it is a good idea to make a rez ahead but it shouldn't be hard to get in. Or even just go to the bar. Beaches in Manhattan and Hermosa will provide lots of people watching....volleyball is always being played on the beach, you can walk out to piers, the strand is a great walk and you can drool over all the expensive homes. Lots of people walking their dogs along the strands and roller skating etc. Hermosa is a bit of a younger and eclectic crowd. A great place to eat in Hermosa would be Hennesey's Tavern on the pier...if you request to be seated upstairs, you will have a very nice view of the ocean and pier. Hennesey's is much more casual than Strand House. https://www.hennesseystavern.com/loc...-hermosa-beach great burgers.
When are you coming? I just read that it is a Saturday---expect beach crowds but that's ok.
DJ_Iceman, tff, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
corky is online now  
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:09 am
  #912  
tff
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LIS
Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Posts: 1,190
Awesome advice once again, many thanks to everyone! It'll actually be tomorrow, we'll be boarding soon. We're still undecided between MB and Venice Beach, but the majority seems to prefer Venice Beach because of the proximity of Santa Monica. As I've been there myself several times, I'll try to convince them to go to MB instead. Let's see.

If you need any advice from Portugal, let me know
corky and lax01 like this.
tff is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2023, 8:38 am
  #913  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LAX/SMF/PDX/HNL
Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Posts: 1,774
Originally Posted by tff
Awesome advice once again, many thanks to everyone! It'll actually be tomorrow, we'll be boarding soon. We're still undecided between MB and Venice Beach, but the majority seems to prefer Venice Beach because of the proximity of Santa Monica. As I've been there myself several times, I'll try to convince them to go to MB instead. Let's see.

If you need any advice from Portugal, let me know
Manhattan/Hermosa beaches are more refined and attract families.
Venice Beach is busy and crude and attracts tourists.
Enjoy your trip!
dlaue is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:37 am
  #914  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 31,265
Originally Posted by dlaue
Manhattan/Hermosa beaches are more refined and attract families.
Venice Beach is busy and crude and attracts tourists.
Enjoy your trip!
It has been a while but the last time I walked along the beachfront in Venice it was all weed dispensaries. Abbot Kinney which is a street in Venice is not the beach but lots of interesting & funky stores and eateries. I would call Abbott Kinney a bit Bohemian but in an upscale way.
Please report back....whatever you choose will be fun. Really hot here right now. Welcome!
tff and TWA884 like this.
corky is online now  
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:11 am
  #915  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,244
I just rode the strand through Venice yesterday afternoon...its VERY busy and touristy at this time of year - lot of people watching there
corky, SPN Lifer, dlaue and 2 others like this.
lax01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.