The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Visited Manhattan Beach today while on an overnight LAX layover. Highly recommend for a nice walk, fresh air, and plenty of options for a meal, coffee, gelato, etc. Sunny and mid-70's. We'll definitely visit again.
corky and dlaue like this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I believe that's where we went a few years back with a similar connection (but not on xmas day), although family picked us up and we went for lunch (not likely happening this time). It was a nightmarish 45 minute ride back for the 4 miles. Perhaps a hotel shuttle, leave bags with the bell desk, and have lunch at the hotel might be the best bet (including a restaurant that's actually open).
This is likely your best bet. Almost nothing will be open but hotel establishments, morning coffee shops, and chinese restaurants, unfortunately.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:19 am

If I had a few hours I would either grab some tacos from a local taco shop and walk around Marina del Ray or Manhattan Beach. Don't want to go too far from the airport and have to fight traffic back.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Many years ago, I used to take a Parking Spot shuttle, tip the driver and go to In N Out. Is this still a thing? I don't see any recent discussion on Parking Spot shuttles.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Tiki
Many years ago, I used to take a Parking Spot shuttle, tip the driver and go to In N Out. Is this still a thing? I don't see any recent discussion on Parking Spot shuttles.
For the past few years, The Parking Spot has had a customers' only policy for its shuttles. Please refer to the following thread to continue discussing this topic:
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:22 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Advice regarding long daytime LAX layover

I'll be arriving from AKL with NZ at 16h40 and departing to EWR with UA at 23h00. It'll be on a Saturday. I'll be flying with a group of friends who haven't been to LA yet. Taking into account the time necessary to pass immigration/customs in the way out of the TBIT and clear TSA in the way into UA's terminal, will we have time to get an Uber and go for a brief walk in Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive or Hollywood? Or is it better to try and get a SDC?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tff
I'll be arriving from AKL with NZ at 16h40 and departing to EWR with UA at 23h00. It'll be on a Saturday. I'll be flying with a group of friends who haven't been to LA yet. Taking into account the time necessary to pass immigration/customs in the way out of the TBIT and clear TSA in the way into UA's terminal, will we have time to get an Uber and go for a brief walk in Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive or Hollywood? Or is it better to try and get a SDC?
Yes - that's plenty of time to take a rideshare to Santa Monica, Venice, or Manhattan Beach.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Agree with Kacee.

Also, unless you are choosing to take another routing other than nonstops, your SDC options are going to be limited - either earlie red-eye or next day nonstop; three is a black between late afternoon to early evening where there are no nonstop flights to NY (due to time zone diff and expected arrival time).
tff likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Get ready for expensive Uber ride. It’s like $45 one way to go to Manhattan Beach from LAX which is around 5 miles
tff likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by elmira56925
Get ready for expensive Uber ride. It’s like $45 one way to go to Manhattan Beach from LAX which is around 5 miles
There is a taxi queue in the parking garage across from TBIT, so you can avoid taking the LAX-IT shuttle bus to the rideshare lot. Also, taxis have meters, so the rate will be more predictable (definitely not $45 to MB). Rodeo Drive would be a bit out of the way, and the traffic to get there will be bad. Getting to MB would be very easy/light traffic.
moondog, tff and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
If there are any AVGeeks in the bunch, don't miss out on In-N-Out and 24R arrivals: https://thepointsguy.com/news/lax-in...planespotting/
AS MHT, tff and BoldAndRestless like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by wcpierce
If there are any AVGeeks in the bunch, don't miss out on In-N-Out and 24R arrivals: https://thepointsguy.com/news/lax-in...planespotting/
I love that In-N-Out. I used to walk over there to relax and watch the planes rather than going to the PL on long layovers.
cawhite, tff and BoldAndRestless like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tff

Many thanks in advance.
LA native. Any particular interests in things to see or food that I can point you toward? You have plenty of time to enjoy a nice day in LA.
cawhite, tff and BoldAndRestless like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I love that In-N-Out. I used to walk over there to relax and watch the planes rather than going to the PL on long layovers.
Originally Posted by wcpierce
As an LA native as well…+1 for the In&Out burgers as well. Yes…tons of other wonderful burger options in LA, but for a “fast food” (not so fast with the long lines), i never hesitate to recommend them.
tff likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Venice Beach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.