Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Here is what I did during my layover at LAX (a little over 1 hour) today/yesterday (depending on the location you are reading this) - inbound arrived after 1230pm, next flight board time ends at 145pm (scheduled departure at 2pm).

1) Went to landside to retrieve a new boarding pass for the next flight - reason not important - back to airside in less than 5 minutes for the entire process

2) While relaxing and getting some work done (on my computer) at an empty gate, I observed a passenger inquiring with airport personnel on directions to the international terminal (TBIT). First, she tried to interact w/ a TSA agent standing in the gate area - he was getting ready to call someone right before she approached; he had his back to her, turned after she spoke, but completely ignored her, he turned back around and resumed his phone dialing/conversations Next, she asked an airport employee sitting at one of the seats at the gate, and he told her to go outside (to landside), but didn't really give good instructions. I intervened, and told her she could use the tunnels to get there, without having to re-clear security. I volunteered myself to take her there. Snuck a quick look at my phone, and it was already 115pm (5 minutes until the start of boarding; 30 minutes until the end of boarding), but I am always up for a good challenge - have 30 minutes or less to go from T6 to TBIT and back.

Had some really good conversations with her along the way...by the time we got to TBIT and walked to the gate (luckily, her flight's gate is 148, and if anyone's familiar with the gate locations, 148 is the closest. At the time when I left her with the gate agent, I looked at my phone again, and it was 134pm, meaning it took 19 minutes to get her from T6 to TBIT, and get her situated. I now have 11 minutes before door closing, and I made back to T6 in 9 minutes w/o running (speed walking) while the last groups was still boarding for my flight.

I am glad I could help her, and I would do it again at any time. I just wish some of these airport personnel can lend a hand some times, considering most of the time I see them doing absolutely nothing.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I've done that a couple of times too when I saw the LAX or TSA workers being deliberately unhelpful to people just trying to figure out where to go. Airline employees tend to be more helpful because they know the people they encountered in their terminals are likely their customers.

Once I walked an elderly women from T5 to TBIT after I saw the TSA worker shouting at her to "get out" and pointing at the exit from the secured area. She had just missed the stairs going down the tunnel and only needed simple directions. Another time I overheard TSA at T4 telling a family they were in the "wrong terminal" for an Eagle flight and should exit the terminal and re-enter at T5, even though the two terminals were connected. I was pretty upset with that suggestion so I interrupted the TSA agent and walked the family downstairs to the T4 bus gate.
DC9 likes this.

Last edited by bzcat; Feb 15, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17

I am glad I could help her...
Good for you! I like to believe that good deeds are contagious, even if it doesn't always seem like it.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ewoo
Good for you! I like to believe that good deeds are contagious, even if it doesn't always seem like it.
Thanks.

I often make my way out to TBIT anyway (usually longer layover times), so this is par for the course.

Not gonna lie, but I was sweating a bit after making it back to my flight, but really enjoyed the short trip to TBIT, for more reasons than one
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:07 pm

6hr layover lax options

so american changed my first leg to eu and now i have a 6hr layover in lax. originally i wasnt thrilled but thought, ok atleast i can just stay in the centurion lounge or other priority pass lounges. come to find yesterday that the centurion lounge is closed for remodel and no real other priority pass lounges are open either.

called and asked american if they can issue me a pass to their lounge since they changed my flight and of course the reply was ‘sorry we have no way to do that.’

at this point what do you guys think my options are?

happy holiday and hope every stays healthy
🙏🏼
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
Have a steak in one of the Airport Hotels (LAX Marriott is my favourite)?
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
California? Shave your head and get a cup and a sign that says "International Society For Krishna Consciousness" and panhandle until you get the $59 needed to buy an AC day pass.

Seriously, FWIW there is a hotel less than a mile away with a free shuttle, I think it's a Hyatt, you could go there and hang out in the lobby and watch whatever's on the TV.

Yeah, it sux.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:24 pm

haha both good ideas 👍🏼

🙏🏼
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
In and Out
fdog, UAPremierGuy and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
A six-hour layover? If the time of day is right, book a nice spot for lunch in Venice/Santa Monica/Culver City, all of which should be close enough that you don't get panicked about missing your flight. That'll be a bit more interesting than going to sit in a hotel lobby somewhere for hours on end.
corky likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Hop an Uber over to Santa Monica Pier! Nice Mexican place down at the end with great views.
corky likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wrp96
In and Out
Agree with the food suggestion and also that's the ideal motto for LAtWA. Get in and out.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum
For me, six hours isn't long enough to go anywhere outside and then have to clear TSA etc. again, unless you're a masochist. Not that there's anyting wrong with being a masochist, after all, you're flying AA to eu in cattle class.
Spend the$59 on the AA club day pass and watch the tarmac and people. The booze in the club is worth something at least.
Then take some of that downtime to complain to AA customer service with a polite email and see if they'll reimburse you.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Hop an Uber over to Santa Monica Pier! Nice Mexican place down at the end with great views.
Or go to the Manhattan Beach pier. It is much closer than SM and lots of shops and restaurants if you want to walk around downtown MB or just along the strand & gawk at the multi-million $ oceanfront homes and the beautiful beach. I think that you have plenty of time for that.
TWA884, chrisl137 and merlin90 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, if of interest, if the OP is interested in breweries and places to imbibe as well as (usually) things to eat, here's a list of places relatively close to LAX: LAX Meetups and DOs Thread

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.