The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
My suggestion is that you take the strollers and kids and walk around Marina Del Rey or Venice Beach aka Muscle Beach... It should take 20-30 minutes each way in a cab....

You can walk around either of those, and it will be great if it is a nice day... stop for some lunch somewhere along the way.

Just make sure you give yourself enough time on the return.
Silvercar promo is $39/day and includes free child seats. Plus it's the easiest rental company to use since they drop you off upon return.

Cheers
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I second the IN-n-Out burger run. You can take The Parking Spot to the Sepelveda location and its right there. Watch A380's land right over you on 24R.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by cgyroof
During our 7 hour layover @ LAX, we hopped on a city bus and took our kids to the Mattel HQ factory store @ 333 Continental Blvd, El Segundo, CA 90245.
The Torrance Transit bus "8" was a dollar per adult {each way} and free for the kids under 5 or 50 cents for student age. We hopped on at Sepulveda Bl & Century Bl.
We got off near the LA Kings Practice facility (Toyota Sports Centre) at Nash/ Grand.

There are online coupons available for a further discount at Mattel.
http://www.matteltoystore.com/locati...egundo-ca.aspx
Doubletree Hotel is next door to Mattel and has a free shuttle to/from airport. The beach in El Segundo has a great walking path suitable for strollers.

Another option is is Marriott hotel on Rosecrans (behind a mall). Also a free shuttle. On a 5 hr layover, did the shuttle there, had lunch on the terrace of a restaurant in the mall and returned to airport. Delightful. Time flew by (excuse the pun).

Last edited by Bartolo; Jan 13, 2017 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by saxman66
I second the IN-n-Out burger run. You can take The Parking Spot to the Sepelveda location and its right there. Watch A380's land right over you on 24R.
Plane watching is my favorite reason for eating at that location!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saxman66
People using Uber ruined this for the rest of us... they no longer allow burger run passengers.

From north side of LAX, it is quicker to walk to In-N-Out.

From the south side of LAX, you can take shuttle C to the cell phone waiting lot and it is a short walk over to In-N-Out from there.

Read the wiki in this thread for detailed step by step instruction to reach In-N-Out and back to the terminals: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...d-threads.html
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Doubletree Hotel is next door to Mattel and has a free shuttle to/from airport. The beach in El Segundo has a great walking path suitable for strollers.

Another option is is Renaissance hotel on Rosecrans (behind a mall). Also a free shuttle. On a 5 hr layover, did the shuttle there, had lunch on the terrace of a restaurant in the mall and returned to airport. Delightful. Time flew by (excuse the pun).
Great options, I think I will look for shuttle/bus options. The last thing I want to do is install 2 car seats for a 15 mins ride each way and then carry them around with me. Traveling with Young kids should come with a Sherpa.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
Great options, I think I will look for shuttle/bus options. The last thing I want to do is install 2 car seats for a 15 mins ride each way and then carry them around with me. Traveling with Young kids should come with a Sherpa.
If not staying at hotel and asked by shuttle be prepared to have a good response such as having lunch in restaurant me meeting someone, etc. I've seen passengers asked about reservations, checking in etc.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
Apologies, hasn't been a Renaissance hotel for ages. It's a Marriott (full service). Didn't want you to mix it up with the Renaissance hotel at LAX which has a free shuttle also.

This Marriott is on a golf course so the aspect is quite pretty. Several restaurants in that property so the idea you are meeting someone or going for lunch is very plausible. At one time, AC crew stayed there.

If you stay in the airport, you can also go up to the observation deck of the restaurant. Your older one might like that. I think the restaurant is still called Encounter. Don't have to eat there to use the deck which is one floor higher than the actual restaurant. Free standing structure in the middle between the various terminal buildings. It would mean doing security again to re-enter the terminal.

Last edited by Bartolo; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:29 am

The *A lounge in Tom Bradley is pretty nice. Save the fuss of moving leaving and then coming back. It's quite the trek from Terminal 6 or 7 though, so not sure how that'll play with kids....
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Chingyul
The *A lounge in Tom Bradley is pretty nice. Save the fuss of moving leaving and then coming back. It's quite the trek from Terminal 6 or 7 though, so not sure how that'll play with kids....
TBIT security has a special line for kids/strollers so you effectively jump the queue, although it moves a bit slower. Of course if you have any formula/breast milk it and you will have to be manually processed. But the lounge is indeed very nice.

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this seems much more an LAX stopover thread than an Air Canada specific thread it's been relocated to the Los Angeles destination forum for firum discussion.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tcook052
As this seems much more an LAX stopover thread than an Air Canada specific thread it's been relocated to the Los Angeles destination forum for firum discussion.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Where it is now merged with The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread.

TWA884
Moderator, Los Angeles forum
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Originally Posted by Chingyul
TBIT security has a special line for kids/strollers so you effectively jump the queue, although it moves a bit slower.
TBIT is connected behind security to Terminals 4 through 7. There is no need to go through security when going between T6 or T7 and TBIT, but it is a long trek through tunnels (T4 - T5 - T6) and and departure level connectors (T6 - T7 and T4 - TBIT).
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:57 am

What to do in LA for a few hours?

So I booked a trip coming up on the 25th to LA and was wondering what to do as I have some time to kill.

I get in on the 25th at around 12PM but dont check in to my Airbnb(close to UCLA) till like 3-5PM. I leave on the 26th but check out at like 11AM and dont have to be at Long Beach Airport until after 3. I am thinking of taking the flyaway bus then Uber pool to LGB.

I dont drink so no bars. I was wondering though for a 24 year old solo traveler what there is to do for my tip coming up?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Vic121
I was wondering though for a 24 year old solo traveler what there is to do for my tip coming up?
What are your interests?

You can get some ideas in the following threads:

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 15, 2017 at 10:25 am Reason: Moot after threads were merged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.