Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by absoluy
My flight that was due to leave LAX at 1pm has been cancelled and I've been re booked onto a flight leaving 3 hours later. Sitting in the AC, it looks like an awesome day out... Can anybody recommend someplace (within walking distance) of T4 that has outdoor seating (even if it's just a Star bucks) so that I could make the most of my delay (enjoying the last bit of sunshine before going back to 6 months of winter)?
There's a nice little park by In & Out burger right at the threshold of runway 25R. I think you can take the Parking Spot shuttle (next door to In & Out) there and back.

EDIT: Be sure you take the shuttle to the Sepulveda location, not the Century location.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I imagine hurricane Sandy is having a knock-on effect as well as the usual travails that can occur when flying.

I don't know of anyplace outside that's very exciting at LAX, but if you are up for a small walk and an interesting place, The Encounter restaurant at LAX (the big UFO on stilts you see in the center of the airport area).

Encounter's hours are: Lunch from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., 7 days a week. Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, 4:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The observation deck is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It is located at 209 World Way at LAX.
(N.B. Soon moving to a more appropriate forum)

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 28, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Traditional answer would be to go to In-N-Out for a big burger and plane spotting.

The Sheraton Gateway has an outdoor seating area between the bar and pool. Take the hotel shuttle. They also seem to have wifi in the entire ground floor area.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:58 pm

Assuming you want to stay on airport grounds, the Observation Deck just above The Encounter might be nice on a day like today.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by absoluy
My flight that was due to leave LAX at 1pm has been cancelled and I've been re booked onto a flight leaving 3 hours later. Sitting in the AC, it looks like an awesome day out... Can anybody recommend someplace (within walking distance) of T4 that has outdoor seating (even if it's just a Star bucks) so that I could make the most of my delay (enjoying the last bit of sunshine before going back to 6 months of winter)?
You are right, it is a gorgeous day here in Southern California. Real picture postcard weather.

If you take the upper walkway between T4 and TBIT, there are some benches where you could enjoy fresh air and sunshine, without going too far away.

The In-N-Out Burger place is also a great idea, but you'll have to get there by shuttle. In-N-Out is truly the world's best hamburger.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for all the responses - I went with the observation deck suggestion and enjoyed 2 hours of quiet sunshine! A nice break from being stuck inside the Admirals Club / terminal.

I was surprised how empty it was up there... Just me and 4-5 other guys who seemed to have been camped out plane spotting for the day.

(I was also surprised how painless it was to get through security / exit from air side / get through security again... A world of difference from my experience arriving into TBIT)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
You are right, it is a gorgeous day here in Southern California. Real picture postcard weather.

If you take the upper walkway between T4 and TBIT, there are some benches where you could enjoy fresh air and sunshine, without going too far away.

The In-N-Out Burger place is also a great idea, but you'll have to get there by shuttle. In-N-Out is truly the world's best hamburger.
"World's best".... LOL..
It might be the best in that price range, but the best.........LOL
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
There is a Starbucks with outdoor seating nearby on Sepulveda. It is located inside the Ralph's shopping center. You can take the Parking Spot Red shuttle (the same one that take you to In-N-Out Burgers). I would exit the In-N-Out burger door and turn left to get over to Sepulveda Blvd. The shopping center is one block north of Parking Spot garage and In-N-Out Burger - basically across the street.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
In-N-Out is truly the world's best hamburger.
You really ought to try Umami Burger.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For burger-wars posts, please add on to one of the threads in Dining Buzz, thanks

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:25 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Food (esp breakfast options near LAX)

I'm looking for reasonably priced good food, especially breakfast options, near LAX. I'm stuck at the Hilton for a couple of days without a car and I can probably survive on the Executive Lounge food for dinner, but the continental breakfast is lacking and $20 for breakfast at the hotel seems absurd. I'm probably looking for something better than McDonald's. Even a Denny's / IHOP within walking distance of the hotels would be wonderful. Does Lyon's still exist anymore? Something like the land-side restaurant that used to be in Terminal 1 at SFO would be wonderful. Shuttle back to LAX is fine or walking distance for the hotel is best. A reasonable taxi from the hotel is probably OK but I suspect it is going to be cheaper to eat at the hotel than pay for two taxis esp for breakfast.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by stc
I'm looking for reasonably priced good food, especially breakfast options, near LAX. I'm stuck at the Hilton for a couple of days without a car and I can probably survive on the Executive Lounge food for dinner, but the continental breakfast is lacking and $20 for breakfast at the hotel seems absurd. I'm probably looking for something better than McDonald's. Even a Denny's / IHOP within walking distance of the hotels would be wonderful. Does Lyon's still exist anymore? Something like the land-side restaurant that used to be in Terminal 1 at SFO would be wonderful. Shuttle back to LAX is fine or walking distance for the hotel is best. A reasonable taxi from the hotel is probably OK but I suspect it is going to be cheaper to eat at the hotel than pay for two taxis esp for breakfast.

If you are staying at the Hilton LAX, and will settle for a Dennys for breakfast, there is one about 3/4 of a block straight east down Century. Just east of Aviation Blvd. 5 minute walk.

HP
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
There's a Denny's just on the other side of Aviation, and a couple Subways a little further away.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Denny's is very close but if you want something else, there is a Panera Bread on Sepulveda next to Trader Joe's (one block north of In-N-Out).

It's a long walk from Hilton but manageable if you go out the back of the hotel (instead of exiting the front on Century Blvd) and cut across the Sheraton parking lot between 98th and 96th Street.

http://goo.gl/maps/k1M3v
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
LAX - 2hr layover.. enough to meet someone in terminal?

Hey guys,

I've got a 2hr layover in LAX (Coming in from Hawaii, going out to Chicago) next week. Being my birthday, I'd love to meet an old friend in the Terminal for a beer, but that would mean going out of security. I'm flying F, so I assume in LAX there's a separate security line.

Any thoughts on this? Or the 'approach' I should take?

Also, my "upgrade requested" (RPU) for a particular segment has changed to "this segment is waitlisted". I haven't seen this before. Ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.