Good hotel for celebrity spotting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good hotel for celebrity spotting?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, if you REALLY want to spot celebrities who won't run away from you, how about the waiting area of the emergency room at Cedars-Sinai Hospital?

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Actually, the 8th floor of Cedars Sinai is pretty good for celeb-spotting. This is the VIP floor (think it's the north tower). Rooms are large suites and that is where the celebrities stay. I recall that when Frank Sinatra was there, all visitors to the floor had to check in with security and receive a special pass to gain access to 8. Hope no-one actually tries this. Even celebs deserve their privacy at times like this.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by high_flyer
I met Steve Martin at an Art Gallery on a Tuesday afternoon. I told him LA Story was one of my favorite movies of all time. A wonderfully skewed LA derived version of Allen's Manhattan.
Did you have lunch at L'Idiot afterwards?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Did you have lunch at L'Idiot afterwards?
We couldn't get in. The wait was for over 3 months.

And I couldn't have the duck anyways.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The FS is a favorite location for studio junkets, such as publicity tours for films about to be released, so there are frequently any number of celebs in residence (even those who have homes in L.A.).

The Pen is favored by studio execs even more than by recognizable celebs, partly because it is located next door to the I. M. Pei-designed headquarters building of CAA, a major Hollywood talent agency.

Part of the "challenge" is that some of the celeb favorites put a premium on privacy - celebs who stay at places like the Sunset Marquis and the Marmont typically will hide out in the private bungalows, rather than staying in the main buildings.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

The Pen is favored by studio execs even more than by recognizable celebs, partly because it is located next door to the I. M. Pei-designed headquarters building of CAA, a major Hollywood talent agency.
Does anybody think the cache will transfer to the Century Plaza when CAA moves back to Century City upon once its new offices are completed?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:24 pm

Don't focus on hotels... they LIVE in Los Angeles

Try just about any Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf coffee shop either in West LA of the San Fernando Valley. Whenever I have friends from out of town that want to stargaze, I take them to the Coffee Bean in either Marina del Rey or the one in Brentwood, order an Ice Blended Mocha and wait. On a weekday morning, you'll get a good half dozen in an hour.

The other option that's also a "can't miss" opportunity is the Farmer's Market on weekends in the Pacific Palisades.

What you need to remember, is that "stars" on the weekend don't necessarily look like stars; they look like "regular people". You have to know people pretty well to see them without makeup, in everyday clothes and a hat pulled over their face to recognize them. Most celebrities don't go flauting their status unless they want the unwanted attention that goes with it; read about any celebrity that says they don't talk about their private lives to the media and you'll see what I mean.

The other problem: what constitutes a celebrity? I have plenty of friends that have appeared in movies, television shows and the theatre. But are they Tom Cruise status? ...of course not. Someone like him has "people." But many other, say tier three celebs, don't have their own people to fetch them what they want. Are they the kind of "celebrity spotting" that you're looking for?!?!?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:58 pm

Programs: United 1K,MM
Celebrity Spotting

"Check out the Ivy resteraunt. It is located on I believe Robertson in the West Hollywood/Beverly Hills area."
I have eaten at "The Ivy" on 4 occasions and have never seen a celebrity there, perhaps I am just unlucky. I am not sure I would bother going back, the food is not that great and the staff is incredibly rude for the most part.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:19 am

Also if you will be in town on Monday, go to Mortons. Mondays at Mortons are legendary within the industry. But, make your reservation NOW if you want to get in.

Locanda Veneta is good for lunch for stargazing, though it will have more studio execs than stars, unless they are meeting to make a deal. Almost any of the upscale restaurants on 3rd between Doheny and LA Cienega are likely to have someone you have seen at lunch time on a weekday. The Ivy used to be one of Drew Barrymore's favorite lunch spots, not sure if it still is. POlo lounge for drinks between 5-7 is also a likely spot.

In the Valley Dalt's will have WB tv people there at lunch and dinner. Ca del Sole will have Universal people.

Spago Beverly Hills is sometimes good for stargazing at night, though the Hollywood location isn't any more.

All in all, you will have more luck at lunch time than dinner in your stargazing endeavors. Simply find an upscale restaurant near a studio at lunch time and your odds are good.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:49 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This website may be of help/interest:

http://www.seeing-stars.com/index.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.