Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have a flight out of LAX on Monday the 22nd of December at 7.20 PM. My return flight is Friday January 1st at 11.30 am .

I live in Irvine, maybe miles max from SNA. I was looking for the most economical and easy way to get to LAX but reading one of the posts gave me this idea:

I have 9 free rental days on National. I've had them for a long time and never redeem them. Would I be able to rent two one ways rewards, sna-lax and lax-sna?
A better question for the National forum probably. In any event, I believe the free days can be used for one-way rentals.
See this recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...ay-expire.html
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:40 pm

LGB to Westin South Coast Plaza

Will be flying into LGB, staying at the Westin South Coast Plaza. Any suggestions on how to get from one to the other would be appreciated. Cabs? A reasonable local airport car services? Lyft? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Getting from LAX to LA: what are my options?

I'll be flying in on a Friday afternoon, so let's just get this out of the way: yes, I'll probably be stuck in hellish rush hour + beginning of the weekend traffic; can't be helped. I also have zero desire to rent a car and deal with said traffic after spending 8 hours flying, so, what are my best options for getting from the airport to the city (Beverly Hills, specifically)?

I know there are some shuttles that run from the airport to the city. Are they a good value proposition, and which one would you recommend?

Is a taxi going to break the bank? What about Lyft, especially if I do the Lyft Line option and share the ride?

EDIT: my hotel the first night is actually in Beverly Hills; I had a brain freeze moment and wrote Hollywood at first.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by DrRodneyMcKay; May 3, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Flyaway bus has direct service to Hollywood but it only runs once per hour so may not work out for your schedule. But if you happen to catch it in time, this is your best bet.

If your arrival time doesn't match the Hollywood Flyaway, you can take the Union Station Flyaway which runs up to 4 times per hour, and then transfer to Metro red line subway at Union Station.

Buy your Flyaway ticket online and use your phone to board at the terminals or on the bus. Buy your Metro TAP card once you get to Union Station.

More info can be found in the Los Angeles forum

https://www.lawa.org/flyaway

https://media.metro.net/documents/b4...8dbca1e7e9.pdf

Last edited by bzcat; May 3, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving to our LA forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old May 3, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I have used SuperShuttle terminal to door and you can cost and buy the trip on their web site. They were reliable both times that I used them but only a helicopter will get you out of the traffic!
Old May 3, 2018, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Last edited by TWA884; May 3, 2018 at 7:17 pm Reason: Remove circular link
Old May 3, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I'll be flying in on a Friday afternoon, so let's just get this out of the way: yes, I'll probably be stuck in hellish rush hour + beginning of the weekend traffic; can't be helped. I also have zero desire to rent a car and deal with said traffic after spending 8 hours flying, so, what are my best options for getting from the airport to the city (Beverly Hills, specifically)?

I know there are some shuttles that run from the airport to the city. Are they a good value proposition, and which one would you recommend?
Thursday traffic is actually worse than Friday, so at least you have that going...

Shuttles are generally ok, but things like supershuttle make multiple stops, so even if traffic isn't bad, you'll spend more time in it. They often also have a few locations that are discounted and are likely to stop first at (universities, big hotels, convention centers). I took a Lyft from LAX to Altadena once and I think it was reasonable, given the 35 mile distance- maybe in the $65 range. I think you can look up estimates online, and in an Uber or Lyft the driver will be able to use carpool lanes if there are any on your route.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I have used SuperShuttle terminal to door and you can cost and buy the trip on their web site.
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Shuttles are generally ok, but things like supershuttle make multiple stops, so even if traffic isn't bad, you'll spend more time in it. They often also have a few locations that are discounted and are likely to stop first at (universities, big hotels, convention centers). I took a Lyft from LAX to Altadena once and I think it was reasonable, given the 35 mile distance- maybe in the $65 range. I think you can look up estimates online, and in an Uber or Lyft the driver will be able to use carpool lanes if there are any on your route.
The last time that I took SuperShuttle home from LAX, the driver took me around the loop twice in search of additional passengers. That took an extra half an hour. The next few times that I did not have a car at the airport, I took Uber or Lyft (whichever had the shortest time estimate to get to my location). Those were much faster and did not cost much more than the shared van (in the low $40 range for a 27 miles ride).
Old May 3, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you are on the west end of Beverly Hills, you can consider taking the LAX Flyaway bus to Westwood: https://www.lawa.org/flyaway
Then you can use Uber/Lyft to get to your hotel.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:28 am
JBD

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay

Is a taxi going to break the bank? What about Lyft, especially if I do the Lyft Line option and share the ride?

EDIT: my hotel the first night is actually in Beverly Hills; I had a brain freeze moment and wrote Hollywood at first.
Thanks in advance for the help.
I saw your post in the SPG Forum's SLS thread. If the SLS is your Beverly Hills hotel where you're spending your first night, know that it's on BH's far eastern edge, on La Cienega.

If you go by cab/Lyft/Uber I'd tell the driver to "take La Cienega" and avoid the freeway. (Pronounced La See-en-eh-ga)
Old May 5, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Thanks all. I ended up taking a Lyft line and since I was carpooling with other passengers, the ride came to $20, which must be a record for getting from LAX to the city. Took a while due to traffic, but I had a driver who was really good at taking shortcuts to avoid it.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I just realized there are just four Metrolinks on Sunday on the Orange County line. Let's say I miss the last one just before 7 and need to get back into LA with all my stuff. Is there a transit plan B or am I gonna have to Lyft?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by aresef
I just realized there are just four Metrolinks on Sunday on the Orange County line. Let's say I miss the last one just before 7 and need to get back into LA with all my stuff. Is there a transit plan B or am I gonna have to Lyft?
Plan B is Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. It runs the same route, stops at most of the same stations (but skips a few), comes more frequently, and is more expensive.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by cbn42
Plan B is Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. It runs the same route, stops at most of the same stations (but skips a few), comes more frequently, and is more expensive.
For some reason, I had it on my head that run way less often. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.