Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Old Jul 8, 21, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
Northbound, my favorite is Hill, but I only take it from Adams. I use the Fastrak lane up to Adams and then skip the stop and go downtown by going up Hill. The part from Adams to around Pico is pretty quiet and not terribly sketchy, then north of there it's various business districts. The couple of blocks is all it takes to keep you from having to go through skid row, and I think you can turn on Cesar Chavez to get to Union Station.

Southbound it depends on where traffic backs up - mornings I would get off wherever it turned into a sea of taillights and take Fig to Pasadena to Broadway to Temple, or if I made it all the way to the Chinatown exit, take Hill to Temple, then Temple to Hope and then sail down Flower to the 28th St. Fastrak-only on ramp.

I don't think there's any good transit route yet though. The Gold Line is good for where it covers, but there will always be a few sketchy people, and there's too many connections to make all-metro work well. Your original idea of Flyaway from LAX to Gold line is probably the best, but you need a convenient way to park and/or get dropped at one of the terminals for the Flyaway to pick you up. The Flyaway is really meant for the parking to happen far from LAX. Once they open ITF-West, it might be reasonable - park in the ITF economy parking, take the bus (and eventually tram) to the terminals, wait for the Flyaway, then Gold Line from Union Station.
You are correct...so many of those options are a bit of a PITA. I was on the Harbor until El Segundo blvd and then surface streets from there. I am not so concerned about avoiding traffic on surface streets...just not being car jacked. Once I am past Washington, I am fine IMO. I used to work at 9th & Main so know my way around and I took LA street to Union Station.
Old Jul 8, 21, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to chime in late, but you've pointed out a great asset in downtown LA, which is the Union Station parking lot.
I've actually used it a lot over the years, starting from the mid-90's when I was working downtown.
I've used it for various same-day activities (Dodger games, Hollywood Bowl, Pantages, etc.) to avoid 101 traffic. I also have utilized it as a good meeting point with friends and when I did a few staycations Downtown, instead of $50 overnight parking, I'd leave my car at Union Station.
It's covered (b/c it's underground), freeway-close (especially good for me b/c I live in Long Beach and work in the SGV so my approach helps me avoid congestion points west and north of downtown LA), and seems relatively secure. I've even used it for weekend trips where I drive to Union Station, leave my car, take the Flyaway to LAX and then in return on Monday, where I head to office.
It's hard to beat $8/day!
corky likes this.
Old Jul 9, 21, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
Sorry to chime in late, but you've pointed out a great asset in downtown LA, which is the Union Station parking lot.
I've actually used it a lot over the years, starting from the mid-90's when I was working downtown.
I've used it for various same-day activities (Dodger games, Hollywood Bowl, Pantages, etc.) to avoid 101 traffic. I also have utilized it as a good meeting point with friends and when I did a few staycations Downtown, instead of $50 overnight parking, I'd leave my car at Union Station.
It's covered (b/c it's underground), freeway-close (especially good for me b/c I live in Long Beach and work in the SGV so my approach helps me avoid congestion points west and north of downtown LA), and seems relatively secure. I've even used it for weekend trips where I drive to Union Station, leave my car, take the Flyaway to LAX and then in return on Monday, where I head to office.
It's hard to beat $8/day!
How do you get to Dodger games or the Pantages from there?
I agree--seemed very safe and a great deal.
Old Jul 9, 21, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky View Post
How do you get to Dodger games or the Pantages from there?
I agree--seemed very safe and a great deal.
They run a shuttle for the games.

For the Pantages (and Hollywood in general) you just take the Red Line.
Old Jul 9, 21, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
They run a shuttle for the games.

For the Pantages (and Hollywood in general) you just take the Red Line.
The Dodger shuttle is great - they even block off a lane on the route so the buses have right of way while heading to the stadium.
They used to run a shuttle directly to the Hollywood Bowl - although I'm not sure if they still do so. I've also just taken the Red Line to Hollywood/Highland and walked the rest of the way (although there's also a shuttle from Hollywood/Highland to the Bowl)
Old Jul 9, 21, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
The Dodger shuttle is great - they even block off a lane on the route so the buses have right of way while heading to the stadium.
They used to run a shuttle directly to the Hollywood Bowl - although I'm not sure if they still do so. I've also just taken the Red Line to Hollywood/Highland and walked the rest of the way (although there's also a shuttle from Hollywood/Highland to the Bowl)
They also run shuttles from the Griffith Park Zoo parking lot to the Hollywood Bowl, so I've usually taken that.
Old Jul 9, 21, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always done the Park & Ride to the Bowl and I love it...good price, easy, can sleep on the way home. Perfect for me.
I thought I was going to the Greek a few weeks ago and couldn't really find an easy way to get to and from there.
Old Jul 15, 21, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Metro is introducing a new service to help cover the "last mile" from transit systems to destinations using on-demand & pre-bookable small buses. They're using ~10 seat sprinter vans that you can book with an app. The service is divided into zones that look mostly like places that transit passes into/through but that aren't well served for connections internally or to the transit. Intro prices are $1/ride for the first six months and if you go to their website they'll send you a referral code for two free rides. The service doesn't run 24/7, but is sort of broadly commuter hours in most of the areas (5:30am to 9:30 pm). Unfortunately the LAX/Inglewood zone is mostly filled by airport - it really looks like they should extend it down to maybe Artesia and out to Hawthorne to make it useful to a meaningful number of people.

For me the Pasadena one covers the ~4 mile hike I would have to take to get to Gold line station to get to the flyaway without getting a ride from someone.
corky, KathyWdrf and VickiSoCal like this.
Old Jul 20, 21, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Metro is introducing a new service to help cover the "last mile" from transit systems to destinations using on-demand & pre-bookable small buses. They're using ~10 seat sprinter vans that you can book with an app. The service is divided into zones that look mostly like places that transit passes into/through but that aren't well served for connections internally or to the transit. Intro prices are $1/ride for the first six months and if you go to their website they'll send you a referral code for two free rides. The service doesn't run 24/7, but is sort of broadly commuter hours in most of the areas (5:30am to 9:30 pm). Unfortunately the LAX/Inglewood zone is mostly filled by airport - it really looks like they should extend it down to maybe Artesia and out to Hawthorne to make it useful to a meaningful number of people.

For me the Pasadena one covers the ~4 mile hike I would have to take to get to Gold line station to get to the flyaway without getting a ride from someone.
So that would be Metro Micro, right? Looks like they have 9 service zones -- 7 are in operation and 2 more coming soon.

Metro Micro is your local, on-demand ride. - Metro Micro
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
transportation LAX to SNA

To m y amazement AA does not fly anywhere in bay area to SNA--not even from Sacramento. Ill be staying maybe 4 nights at hotel near SNA< would prefer not to rent a car and drive and pay for parking whatever. What is the best method of transportation between the 2? i see a couple of shuttles online...1 is probably too cheap the other a bit pricey. for some reason checking uber it kept coming up wth Uber black etc which is also pretty expensive. Am I missing something?
Old Sep 15, 22, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AS flies SFO-SNA; if you still have status in the AAdvantage program, you'd get decent benefits when flying AS in Economy.

If you must fly AA into LAX, would you consider a one-way car rental LAX-SNA? If you returned it the same day, you would not have to worry about parking.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 12:44 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by retirementdreams View Post
To m y amazement AA does not fly anywhere in bay area to SNA--not even from Sacramento. Ill be staying maybe 4 nights at hotel near SNA< would prefer not to rent a car and drive and pay for parking whatever. What is the best method of transportation between the 2? i see a couple of shuttles online...1 is probably too cheap the other a bit pricey. for some reason checking uber it kept coming up wth Uber black etc which is also pretty expensive. Am I missing something?
If you want to pre-book a shuttle, I would recommend shuttle2lax.com as they tend to have decent rates. But you should be able to use Uber/Lyft as well.
Old Sep 20, 22, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
AS flies to SNA as already mentioned so I would see if that works with your schedule.

If AS doesn't work, then the least painful way is Uber or Lyft.

One-way rental is doable but you have to deal with traffic depending on time of day.

Suttle is fine but they are not significantly cheaper than Uber or Lyft. There is a reason why long distance airport shuttle is basically out of business unless it is subsidized.

But really... just fly Southwest like a normal person. Loyalty to AA is not rewarded on segment like this anyway.

Search this Thread