Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Old May 3, 18, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
If you are on the west end of Beverly Hills, you can consider taking the LAX Flyaway bus to Westwood: https://www.lawa.org/flyaway
Then you can use Uber/Lyft to get to your hotel.
Old May 4, 18, 1:28 am
JBD

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
I'll be flying in on a Friday afternoon, so let's just get this out of the way: yes, I'll probably be stuck in hellish rush hour + beginning of the weekend traffic; can't be helped. I also have zero desire to rent a car and deal with said traffic after spending 8 hours flying, so, what are my best options for getting from the airport to the city (Beverly Hills, specifically)?

I know there are some shuttles that run from the airport to the city. Are they a good value proposition, and which one would you recommend?

Is a taxi going to break the bank? What about Lyft, especially if I do the Lyft Line option and share the ride?

EDIT: my hotel the first night is actually in Beverly Hills; I had a brain freeze moment and wrote Hollywood at first.
Thanks in advance for the help.
I saw your post in the SPG Forum's SLS thread. If the SLS is your Beverly Hills hotel where you're spending your first night, know that it's on BH's far eastern edge, on La Cienega.

If you go by cab/Lyft/Uber I'd tell the driver to "take La Cienega" and avoid the freeway. (Pronounced La See-en-eh-ga)
Old May 5, 18, 1:03 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG, AGR
Thanks all. I ended up taking a Lyft line and since I was carpooling with other passengers, the ride came to $20, which must be a record for getting from LAX to the city. Took a while due to traffic, but I had a driver who was really good at taking shortcuts to avoid it.
Old Jun 26, 18, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Alaska Mileage Plan, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I just realized there are just four Metrolinks on Sunday on the Orange County line. Let's say I miss the last one just before 7 and need to get back into LA with all my stuff. Is there a transit plan B or am I gonna have to Lyft?
Old Jun 26, 18, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by aresef View Post
I just realized there are just four Metrolinks on Sunday on the Orange County line. Let's say I miss the last one just before 7 and need to get back into LA with all my stuff. Is there a transit plan B or am I gonna have to Lyft?
Plan B is Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. It runs the same route, stops at most of the same stations (but skips a few), comes more frequently, and is more expensive.
Old Jun 26, 18, 6:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Alaska Mileage Plan, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Plan B is Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. It runs the same route, stops at most of the same stations (but skips a few), comes more frequently, and is more expensive.
For some reason, I had it on my head that run way less often. Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 18, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
You need this timetable! Page 7 is the weekend north bound schedule. There are 16 trains between Irvine and Union Station a day on weekends.

https://www.metrolinktrains.com/glob...-timetable.pdf

Metrolink and Surfliner basically run an interline combined schedule between San Diego and Ventura County. So you just take the first train that comes (and work with your schedule). Amtrak is actually a little bit faster because it only stops 4 times between Irvine and Union Station whereas Metrolink stops 7 or 8 times.

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 26, 18 at 7:29 pm
Old Aug 21, 18, 4:06 pm

Was looking for one of those shuttle rides to LAX from Orange County, ie. Prime Time, Super Shuttle, etc....

Prices increased dramatically from the last time i took one (Feb 2017). Used to pay $22.95 and now i'm getting quotes for $46. Might as well take an Uber or Lyft at these prices.
Old Aug 21, 18, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by miuk View Post
Was looking for one of those shuttle rides to LAX from Orange County, ie. Prime Time, Super Shuttle, etc....

Prices increased dramatically from the last time i took one (Feb 2017). Used to pay $22.95 and now i'm getting quotes for $46. Might as well take an Uber or Lyft at these prices.
Shuttle2lax.com should still be $25 for one person for most parts of Orange County except the far southern end.
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Shuttle2lax.com should still be $25 for one person for most parts of Orange County except the far southern end.
Thats my regular site and they're quoting $54 for Tustin pickup.

Actually after playing around, i realized that if i use my office address in Irvine it's back to $20.

Just contacted them, apparently it's now on their website, $20 for the first 10 miles and $0.99 for every other mile. What a joke, Uber/Lyft is cheaper.

Last edited by miuk; Aug 21, 18 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 9, 18, 10:54 am
Original Member

What's the best way to get from BUR to LAX?
Old Oct 9, 18, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Best way is Uber or rental car.

There are other ways that are cheaper but will take longer. For example, you can take Metrolink (commuter rail) to Union Station then transfer to the FlyAway express bus to LAX. Or you can take a Burbank bus to the Metro station in North Hollywood and take the Orange line BRT to Woodley station and transfer to a different FlyAway express bus to LAX.

BUR transit center info: https://hollywoodburbankairport.com/.../buses-trains/

Burbank bus from BUR to Metro Station info: http://www.burbankbus.org/maps-sched...oho-to-airport

FlyAway Bus info: https://www.flylax.com/flyaway%20bus#Routes

Last edited by bzcat; Oct 9, 18 at 11:58 am
Old Oct 9, 18, 11:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Or you can take a BUR shuttle bus to the Metro station in North Hollywood and take the Orange line BRT to Woodley station and transfer to a different FlyAway express bus to LAX.
If you take the shuttle to the Metro station, you can also take the Red Line to the Blue Line to the Green line to the Airport station and take the shuttle into LAX from there.