Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Old Jun 12, 11, 11:16 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Folks.... I will be in LAX for 2 days for a couple of meetings and wine events. I can get a good rate at the Westin LAX, but my meetings are in Av. of the Stars and in the Beverly Hills area.... how long a commute do I have from the Westin LAX to these destinations...? Ive been told to ignore what MapQuest says as LA based folks tell me the transit times quoted are not realistic....

I will arrive in LAX on Thursday... and leave Saturday... from the posts above it seems that the day of the week is important in traffic determination, etc.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.... bottom line, do I need to forget the Westin LAX and go elsewhere...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Jun 12, 11, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Folks.... I will be in LAX for 2 days for a couple of meetings and wine events. I can get a good rate at the Westin LAX, but my meetings are in Av. of the Stars and in the Beverly Hills area.... how long a commute do I have from the Westin LAX to these destinations...? Ive been told to ignore what MapQuest says as LA based folks tell me the transit times quoted are not realistic....

I will arrive in LAX on Thursday... and leave Saturday... from the posts above it seems that the day of the week is important in traffic determination, etc.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.... bottom line, do I need to forget the Westin LAX and go elsewhere...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
It really depends on what time of the day you travel, as traffic is fairly bursty yet predictable. I would say you could do that trip in about half an hour without traffic. With traffic, it can get much longer, and I'd take the surface streets. Unfortunately, I've found Fridays to be the worst days for traffic, especially around the 405 and 10 interchange and the Wilshire area around there, starting at about 2pm.
Old Jun 12, 11, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
This is almost like my daily commute. The rush hour drive will be about 40 minutes. Don't take the 405 freeway which can easily double your time. The local route via Sepulveda blvd is slow too but will get you to Century City faster.
Old Jun 12, 11, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
This is almost like my daily commute. The rush hour drive will be about 40 minutes. Don't take the 405 freeway which can easily double your time. The local route via Sepulveda blvd is slow too but will get you to Century City faster.
Great advice... thank you kindly.

I guess I will configure my Never Lost to calculate me a route and avoid Expressways, I assume that will do the trick.
Old Jul 11, 11, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Getting from SNA to LAX

Looking for options for getting from SNA to LAX. SuperShuttle says they do it for $73.

Any other suggestions ... excluding flying?
Old Jul 11, 11, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
A one-way car rental would be cheaper.
Old Jul 11, 11, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by PokerHammy View Post
A one-way car rental would be cheaper.
I had looked at Hertz with a AAA discount, and they want slightly over 50 bucks for the trip. A bit cheaper, yes. But then there is the hassle of driving unfamiliar roads, and hunting for gas near LAX to avoid paying their refuel rates.
Old Jul 11, 11, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Try using Hotwire or Priceline - could be under $40 a/i. The directions are pretty straightforward - go 405 north, exit Century Blvd., and there are plenty of gas stations right after exiting the freeway. Google Maps is your friend if you don't have GPS.
Old Jul 11, 11, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
There is the Flyaway Bus from the Irvine Train Station.

http://www.lawa.org/popup.aspx?id=2512
Old Jul 11, 11, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Continental (Gold)
I believe there is bus service that runs from LAX to SNA... you may want to check the SNA website for details.

Car rental used to the be the best options, but it has gotten expensive in the last year to drop cars at different airports in socal from where you picked it up.
Old Jul 11, 11, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX View Post
There is the Flyaway Bus from the Irvine Train Station.
Excellent suggestion ... except not sure I can make the 12:45 PM departure, and the next one is not until 4:45 PM (which is much later than desired).
Old Jul 12, 11, 12:54 pm

How much time do you have?

It's possible to do this by public transportation but it will take a while. SNA is the least transit accessible airport in LA area.

Do you really want to attempt this? http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=sn...h&z=11&start=0

I take Metro in LA all the time and even I wouldn't try this. Public transportation option in Orange County blows.

One-way rental car is the way to go if Irvine Fly Away schedule doesn't work for you.
Old Jul 12, 11, 3:28 pm

Another option

Not sure if you have time for this or if it would work.

Take the I shuttle (Monday to Friday) from SNA to the Tustin Metrolink station.

http://www.irvineshuttle.net/connections

Then take Metrolink to Union Station. Finally take the FlyAway bus from Union Station to LAX.
Old Jul 12, 11, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
How much time do you have? ...
I totally cracked up when I noted Google's projected travel time of 3 hr 59 min ! Not exactly practical, but immensely creative. Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 11, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr View Post
Not sure if you have time for this or if it would work.

Take the I shuttle (Monday to Friday) from SNA to the Tustin Metrolink station.

http://www.irvineshuttle.net/connections

Then take Metrolink to Union Station. Finally take the FlyAway bus from Union Station to LAX.
The OP is arriving around midday. Metrolink OC line doesn't go all the way to Union Station during that time (I think it ends in Fullerton). Otherwise, this is the best option.

Originally Posted by jmd001 View Post
I totally cracked up when I noted Google's projected travel time of 3 hr 59 min ! Not exactly practical, but immensely creative. Thanks.

Public transportation is not for faint of heart in good ole Orange County. If you were landing at BUR and trying to get to LAX, it would be very simple to do via public transportation.

Search this Thread