Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Old May 11, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smartinez
One problem with going in and out of Burbank is that if there is a problem there are very few options. LAX is a hassle, but in a jam, you'll have lots of options.

I agree with this 100%

For first time visitors to LA, LAX is probably better choice because there are a million ways to get there. If you fly out of Burbank, your transportation option is limited and cab is often the only choice.

Also, I highly recommend the FlyAway bus option to Union station and then Gold line to Pasadena. It is the most painless way of getting to Pasadena from LAX. Sheraton Pasadena is 2 minute walk from Del Mar station... couldn't get any more simple than that! Why would you want to drive in our mad traffic when public transportation takes you almost door to door?

If you want to visit other LA area attractions, buy a Metro day pass for $5 (unlimited Metro bus and rail rides for the day) and take the Gold line to Union St. From there you can get to most tourist destination with just one train or one bus ride.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by iapetus
Agreed with the other posters -- this is a pretty good deal. Unless you get a great deal through something like Priceline, you're likely to wind up relatively far from the convention. But there's no harm in looking!

And, unlike FlyinHawaiian, I think the FlyAway/Gold line option is very convenient. () You can get off at either the Del Mar station or the Memorial Park station, provided you're willing to walk 3 blocks or so with your bags. But if you want to explore beyond Pasadena, California, you're likely to want a car.

Agreed!
Old May 19, 2010, 2:18 pm

A very big constrution project on the Sunset Blvd. bridge over the 405 has begun, and traffic on the freeway over Sepulveda Pass is supposed to be adversely impacted for a long time. You might check www.latimes.com for info, or post a question specifically about this. Leaving Burbank at 5 p.m., I'd allow a couple of hours to get to LAX. Then you need to return your rental car, etc. If you can fly into and out of Burbank, I'd do it. It's a small airport and the rental car lots are (or at least were) right next to the terminal. Considering the time it takes to get through LAX, and to the rental car facilities, and then drive to Burbank, you could save time by flying into Bob Hope Airport (Burbank), even without the construction projecte on the 405. You can get from/to BUR by taxi, rental car or, for some locations, Metrolink train (or a combination of modes, by taking Metrolink from the airport to Union Station, then light rail or subway from there).
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Did some searches and couldn't find an answer. Any idea about how long it will take to get from El Segundo to an Angels game on a Monday night? Google Maps says 40-45 minutes but I have a feeling that's conservative. I was thinking 60-75 minutes but just want to be sure.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
1 hour minimum from El Segundo to the Big A. You are going to be stuck in rush hour traffic so leave yourself plenty of extra time or be prepared to miss the start of the game.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum
LAX to Long Beach?

Hi

Family of 4 will arrive LAX from UK on a Thursday about 4.30pm. We are staying at Hotel Maya on Queensway Drive (near Queen Mary).

We aren't picking up or hire car until the following morning. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to travel LAX to the hotel. It seems our options are airport shuttle (these are shared so how does this work?), cab (but will 4 plus luggage fit?) or public transport

Given that we will be tired the most efficient method would be best for us.

Thanks for any input

nickyboy
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
First I would contact the hotel about whether or not they have a shuttle service. If not I suggest hiring a car and driver. With four people and luggage this might cost a bit more than the cab but if you get one where the driver stands at the exit from passport control and holds up a card bearing your last name it might expedite an orderly departure from LAX.
There are cabs that will take all of your family and luggage but you will probably have a higher level of comfort it you do the driver and car routine. I don't know which service to recommend at LAX. Perhaps the hotel can recommend one to you.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:03 pm

DO NOT DO A SHUTTLE. I recommend a van taxi....You will find a guy with a radio who can order a van taxi. This is common route as many people take cruises out of Long Beach.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
DO NOT DO A SHUTTLE. I recommend a van taxi....You will find a guy with a radio who can order a van taxi. This is common route as many people take cruises out of Long Beach.
Yup. I was just thinking the same thing. All the taxi stands at LAX have guys on radio. You tell them you need a van. Should be able to fit they are used to having groups like this and not just to Long Beach. People going all over LA in groups with luggage. There are plenty of vans they should cost the same. I'm often going home in a van and it's just me and my rollerboard. That happens to be what shows up when its my turn in line. I live the other direction from LAX but similar distance guessing it should be no more than $50 to get you all to LB. Someone else on the forum probably knows exactly how much.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Thanks v much for fast feedback. Van it is!

nickyboy
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'd suggest giving ExecuCar a look. I believe they are an offshoot of Super Shuttle but they use Honda Odysseys that are dispatched to pick you up and deliver you to your destination - without trolling the airport for other fares.

Pricing is about $58 - for a party of 4, that should be a reasonable expense.

I've used them on a few occasions and they even give mileage on some airlines!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Agreed. The shared vans (Super Shuttle, etc.) are not pleasant. They won't leave the airport until they're full, which means you could spend half an hour circling the airport and loading more people in until they're crammed to the gills. And the drivers are (I've found) usually more nausea-inducing than cabbies. And since they charge per person (though there's a discount for multiple people in the same party), it's probably going to be about the same cost for a cab or car service.

Public transit to Long Beach is available and cheap, and while it's what I would do as I'm far too cheap to pay for a taxi, it'll take you at least an hour and fifteen just to get to downtown Long Beach and then another half an hour on a city bus to your hotel. That said, if money is a consideration and you want to do that, you'd follow these steps:

1) Take LAX shuttle bus G to the Green Line/Aviation Station
2) Take the Green Line to Rosa Parks
3) Transfer downstairs to the Blue Line (lift available)
4) Get off at Long Beach Transit Mall (last stop, though the train makes a loop, so it won't look like the last stop)
5) Walk one block south and board bus C
6) Ride to the Queen Mary and then back towards downtown Long Beach; get off bus at your hotel (will be on right shortly after departing Queen Mary)

Again, though, while I would do that, I probably wouldn't recommend it for your tired family of 4 with luggage.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Hi

I think the shuttles are limited to 3 loops of the airport before they have to leave or get back in line, at least thats how it was,

As far as getting to Long Beach , take a limo, it cost you already a ton of $$$ for this trip, a Limo is probably $100 or so, and something to tell your friends back home

Rally
Old May 16, 2011, 11:38 am

How long to drive Irvine to LAX in rush hour?

I was contemplating taking a 5:00pm flight on a Monday from LAX. Will be starting in Irvine. How long do you think this drive will take in rush hour? Do you think it would be much better if I flew home on sunday rather than monday.

Would it be faster to take a connecting flight from SNA which take 100 minutes longer. What time would you leave Irvine for a 5:00pm flight on a monday from LAX assuming I normally arrive airport 1 hour before departure.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd leave Irvine no later than 3 pm. If I had to gas up and return a rental car, I'd say 2:30 pm would be reasonable.

I'd also check www.sigalert.com before I left and listen for traffic reports on AM 980 and 1070. You'll be taking the 405.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.