Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I'd change that "may" to "will" Anything eastbound on the 210, 10 or 60 towards ONT in the afternoon is b-a-d.
Yes, especially on Fridays. Everyone is heading home and/or going to Las Vegas.

Originally Posted by dimramon
So, BUR would be the lesser of two evils in the afternoon?
Yes, you would be heading against traffic for the most part, 210 to 134 freeways.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
ONT may be a tad closer to Monrovia, but no more than five to ten min. driving time.
Actually, it isn't. I just went to Mapquest to check this out, as I wasn't sure myself. BUR is ~5 miles closer.

The nicer properties are in Pasadena, about 8 miles away on the 210, which can get pretty bad during rush hours.
Yeah, but you'd at least be heading against traffic. Still, I'd recommend not even dealing with that.

Originally Posted by kingalien
Yes, you would be heading against traffic for the most part, 210 to 134 freeways.
Of course, gettng to BUR will involve a little traffic, too. There's sure to be some traffic heading north on I-5 at that time of day. I'd also recommend flying home through BUR, but, as always, make sure you leave time for traffic.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Carson, Buena Park, or LAX: Is being close to the airport worth it re a.m. traffic?

I have a 10:00am flight on a Friday in May from LAX. I will be turning in a rental car. I will have been visiting in Orange in the afternoon and early evening of the night before.

The question: I need a Hilton HHonors credit, so these are the three possibilities in my price range with their rates:

$107 Buena Park
$110 Carson
$129 LAX

What will the traffic be like from Buena Park or Carson on a Friday morning? How long would you think it would take from each?

Or do you think it's worth the extra money to be at LAX and not deal with any morning traffic?

TIA.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have a 10:00am flight on a Friday in May from LAX. I will be turning in a rental car. I will have been visiting in Orange in the afternoon and early evening of the night before.

The question: I need a Hilton HHonors credit, so these are the three possibilities in my price range with their rates:

$107 Buena Park
$110 Carson
$129 LAX

What will the traffic be like from Buena Park or Carson on a Friday morning? How long would you think it would take from each?

Or do you think it's worth the extra money to be at LAX and not deal with any morning traffic?

TIA.
IMHO, the closer you are the better. That said, Carson would be closer than Buena Park. However, if you're not finishing up very late on Thursday, I'd just as soon get to LAX and be right at the airport and not have to worry about any traffic the next day (and maybe sleep in a little).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Thanks.

Any ballpark of time from either Carson or Buena Park to LAX on a Friday morning?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:08 pm
JTG

Programs: UA/AA/SW/MR Gold/Hyatt/HH
I wouldn't even consider Buena Park. It's about 30-miles from LAX and you'll have to traverse 3 different freeways. Basically, that means if there are no problems on any of the FWs, and there's a usual Friday morning light, you're talking 60-90 minutes.

Carson's about 15-miles due south, but your going with the traffic commute so, with the same caveats, you're probably looking at 45-60 mins. I don't know where the Hilton is, but Carson has some very dicey areas.

So, the question you need to ask yourself is . . . do you want an extra hour of sleep and a stress-less trip to LAX by staying close to the airport?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

Any ballpark of time from either Carson or Buena Park to LAX on a Friday morning?
About 70 minutes from Buena Park and 40 minutes from Carson.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:36 pm

I think you guys have convinced me!

I assume in the evening, traveling from Orange to LAX would only be about 45 minutes?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think you guys have convinced me!

I assume in the evening, traveling from Orange to LAX would only be about 45 minutes?
Depends what you mean by "evening". On the 405 SNA-LAX from ~4 PM - ~7 PM count on 1.5 hours.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:51 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
I would say any later than 2 or 3 pm will be pushing it.....
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:56 pm

OK. Noted. Thank you. Would likely be heading out of Orange ~7:30 or 8pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At that time it should be lighter traffic, though for us, lighter means doubling your speed from 15 to 30 mph on freeway . Once you get on the 105 freeway it should be much better ride. Still you're looking at a minimum 50 minute drive from Orange County.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You should be fine at that point. If you are coming from the City of Orange (and not just the "greater Orange County" area), you have a few options in getting to LAX depending on traffic.

If you are near the "Crush" which is where the 22/57/5 freeways meet, you can consider taking 22 to the 405 or the 5 to the 91. If either those encounter difficulty along the way, you have the options of going north on the 605, 710 or 110 to the 105 and you would still be making forward progress.

A great website if you have internet access before you leave is: www.sigalert.com

It shows the freeway map with speeds and incidents to help you plan your route.

BTW - the Hilton (I think it's now a DB if we are talking about the same place) in Carson is a dump. The only redeeming thing is that it's on the other side of the freeway from an IKEA. But, the overall area/neighborhood is not too nice.

Good luck!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:38 pm

Good stuff. Thank you.

As to where I'm coming from, not too far from the Doubletree on near Chapman Ave. (?) and I5

In the past I've usually done CA-22 to I-405.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I make the commute from the LGB area to past LAX to the ocean. I work 430AM to 2PM. At 6AM in the Carson area, the 405 freeway is already packed. (it only moves 30-40 mph even at 6AM--at 415AM, full speed 99% of the time). I would estimate 45 min drive from Carson to LAX at approx 730AM. I usually avoid driving to LAX at that time 7-10AM, if possible.

What about the Doubletree or HGI in El Segundo? Maybe it prices out too high. I have stayed in the LAX Hilton & it's OK if you don't get one of the tiny corner rooms that given to people not in the "know" or to opaque online bidders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.