Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Looking for reasonable family hotel

Looking for reasonable family hotel

Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, PC Plat, ICH Royal Ambassador
I just recently did the same thing the OP was talking about. I was in LA/Anaheim for 6 days and didnt rent a car. Got into LAX, took Super Shuttle to Universal/Hollywood area, was $15 for me plus $10 for additional person. yes, it took about 1 1/2 hrs and they drive 3 or 4 circuits around the airport but for people who havent been to LA much like me, its a good tour to go downtown and such without having to actually drive there.

3 days at Beverly Garland Holiday Inn which has free shuttle to Universal.
Train station close to Universal Studios that you can use to go to Hollywood Highland area for like $2.

Then taxi from there to Anaheim, got $80 fixed rate fare when I asked someone at the desk how I could get there, go in the afternoon around 2pm and its better than after work.

Then 3 days in Anaheim, walking distance to Disney and $8 cab ride to Angel stadium, $20 cab ride round trip to go to Walmart in Anaheim Plaza to buy cheap stuff. Yeah people DO look at you funny taking a cab to and from Walmart though.

It cost $100 a night with tax at Holiday Inn, then Super Shuttle back to airport at LAX from Anaheim, took 45 mins in the 8am-9am timeframe cause we used carpool lane.

Total cab/shuttle fare was $130, where car rental was $275 a week without gas cost or parking fees or the stress of driving. Not saying it is the BEST way, the American in me says I need a car. but not really if you arent comfortable driving, it does work out in the end and might even be cheaper, although less convenient.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:23 pm

Not sure where you got the $15 rate because that is simply outstanding. I live 1 mile from Universal. The rate on SuperShuttle to my house is $34 for the first person and $9.00 each additional (so for the OP it would be $61 one way).

You can get exclusive van service for $79 for up to 7 people. That might be a better option if the OP does not want to drive around L.A. to drop other people off first. You can also hire ExecuCar (Supershuttle's limo service) for $75 for up to 4 passengers (limited luggage space though).

I guess we're a little OT because the OP asked about hotels, not transportation and we haven't heard back from them to see what, if anything that has been said here works for them. Oh well...
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by OZJET
2 adults 40 plus 2 early teens first time to LA safe hotel for 4 days walking at night and disney hollywood universal by day.

thinking of sheraton delfina but it is a bit expensive. we dont drive in LA

any suggestions
Welcome to FlyerTalk, OZJET.

I would stay at one of the many hotels/motels in the Disneyland area (Anaheim, California USA) and take day trips via tour bus to the other venues. I believe these tour buses still pick up and drop at many hotels in the Disneyland area. As others have said, Southern California does not have the best public transportation in the world.

The following link is not a recommendation but perhaps will give you some ideas. They may be exemplary. I'm just not familiar with this company.

Sightseeing, tours, attractions and events - book online

Happy Travels and Welcome to Los Angeles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.