Walk to LAX

Old Dec 17, 05, 3:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Walk to LAX

I am not from LA and I have a question that I know is going to make me sound like a cheapeskate, but that's okay. I don't mind walking and I occassionally find myself somewhere on Century or LaCienega near the numerous hotels needing to go to LAX.

It has always worked to nonchalantly hop on a hotel shuttle van but recently a van driver noticed that I had walked to the hotel from the sidewalk and wouldn't take me because I wasn't a hotel customer (I usually have a small bag so I look like a customer).

The $12 cab ride was ridiculous for the short ride. I can never remember which MTA bus stops at LAX from that area.

Is there a pedestrian entrance from Century or La Cienega or one of the parking lots that can be entered on foot with a shuttle bus to LAX. Similarly, how does one walk to the MTA transit center and pick up the LAX shuttle bus? The MTA website seems to indicate that a person can walk from the Sheraton Gateway to the LAX transit center.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 05, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
On Century there are also several parking lots. You could try to hop the shuttle at the Parking Spot. Walk in go to the left around a car or two so as you walk to the shuttle you look like you came from where you just parked.
Old Dec 17, 05, 4:51 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Los Angeles public transit sucks for a city it's size...but here's the website. You can look up bus information and trip plan using it....

http://www.mta.net/default.asp
Old Dec 18, 05, 10:51 pm

Programs: OnePass
I think it would be more convenient to keep using the hotel shuttles. Just make sure you enter through the side and walk out the front like a hotel guest.
Old Dec 18, 05, 11:02 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
If you're not a guest of the hotel, IMHO, you should not "rip off" their services.
Old Dec 19, 05, 6:09 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses and ideas.

I'm Hulton and Starwood Gold, so I hardly see how hopping on a shuttle bus with existing passengers is ripping them off, but whatever.
Old Dec 19, 05, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, OWS
I believed you can walk to the Radisson Hotel at the corner of Century and Sepulveda, cross Sepulveda using the crosswalk, and get to Terminal 1.

If you prefer to take a bus, you can ride Metro Bus 117 (Fare US$1.25) at the corner of Century and La Cienega to get to the Transit Center at Lot C. From there, you can hop on the free shuttle.
Old Dec 19, 05, 11:55 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
There are other agencies which service LAX transit center:

S.M. BigBlueBus
http://www.bigbluebus.com/home/index.asp
Culver City (big green) Bus
http://www.culvercity.org/depts_bus.asp

Have you tried the Thrifty rental car shuttle? It's not too hard to sneak in there!

Also, don't hesitate to haggle with a flagged-down cab who is heading to the LAX taxi queue anyways.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: