FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/477264-lounges-lax-access-showers-questions-one-consolidated-thread.html)

bzcat Feb 5, 2018 5:43 pm

Once you clear immigration and customs, you will go up the ramp to street level. Turn right and head towards to TSA check point at the arrival level. Once you clear TSA, you can go upstairs which will lead you back to TBIT. Star lounge is a short walk away on the 6th level.

This post has some photos: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27685379-post3.html

The walk from TBIT to T7 air side is about 20 minutes if you are a reasonably fast walker. I've never actually walked all the way myself by I've done T6 to TBIT a few times. Just follow the signs closely so you don't accidentally exit the secured area. It involves a few detours and level changes.

TWA884 Feb 5, 2018 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 29383703)
Once you clear immigration and customs, you will go up the ramp to street level. Turn right and head towards to TSA check point at the arrival level. Once you clear TSA, you can go upstairs which will lead you back to TBIT. Star lounge is a short walk away on the 6th level.

Actually, at the exit from the customs hall turn right in the direction of connections, not left towards the street exit. Once you pass the the transfer/re-check desks you'll see the entry to the T4-TBIT Connector TSA Checkpoint.

The_Bouncer Feb 6, 2018 6:28 pm

Priority Pass lounge access from T7

My aunt and uncle have a 5-hour transit at LAX T7, transferring from YVR to MEL.

The Priority Pass website suggests there are accessible lounges in T2, T6 and the Tom Bradley.

Will they be able to move between terminals to access any of these lounges during their transit?

Moderator2 Feb 6, 2018 7:11 pm

Terminal 6 and Terminal 7 (plus Terminal 8 if the YVR happens to arrive there) are connected by a 2nd floor hallway within the secured area. 12-14 minute maximum walk from the furthest points.

The Alaska Airlines lounge in Terminal 6 is a Priority Pass provider. It's pretty mediocre, but is open late enough to allow your relatives to stay there until Melbourne boarding. More info in this thread about recent visits to that lounge: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...ed-thread.html

The Wiki in this thread also has a good map and useful reference links: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...ns-thread.html

The_Bouncer Feb 6, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks for that. Will they need to re-clear security?

Moderator2 Feb 6, 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 29387959)
Thanks for that. Will they need to re-clear security?

No. Just remind them to watch the signs so they don't accidentally leave the secured area.

Particularly, as you are exiting Terminal 6 and the Alaska Lounge before heading east down a long hallway toward United's Terminal 7, there is a right turn. They don't want to head straight. If they are confused there are TSA personnel and an LA Airport police kiosk to ask for directions, at roughly the same place as the right turn.

The_Bouncer Feb 7, 2018 5:24 am

Great. Thanks very much for that.

aresef Jun 21, 2018 1:04 pm

So I'm flying UA LAX-BWI in August, I've never done a lounge before. I've been led to believe in the UA board that the United Club spread at around 8 p.m., 9 p.m. might be just cold cuts or equivalent?

tstauck Jun 22, 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by aresef (Post 29891702)
So I'm flying UA LAX-BWI in August, I've never done a lounge before. I've been led to believe in the UA board that the United Club spread at around 8 p.m., 9 p.m. might be just cold cuts or equivalent?

I recall it still having hot soup at that hour, especially at 8pm. Like all UC's, it "snacky" food, decent but not a full meal. Keep in mind, IMO, the LAX UC is about the best UC domestic club, spacious and nicely remodeled.

aresef Jun 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck (Post 29895280)
I recall it still having hot soup at that hour, especially at 8pm. Like all UC's, it "snacky" food, decent but not a full meal. Keep in mind, IMO, the LAX UC is about the best UC domestic club, spacious and nicely remodeled.

Thank you. I know they charge for booze, too, but I barely drink so, especially at that hour, I'll settle for tea or something instead.

tstauck Jun 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by aresef (Post 29895859)
Thank you. I know they charge for booze, too, but I barely drink so, especially at that hour, I'll settle for tea or something instead.

Actually all of the house booze is still complimentary.

aresef Jun 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck (Post 29905381)
Actually all of the house booze is still complimentary.

I mean I read that stuff that isn't like Miller Lite, Coors Light cost money. Doesn't matter either way to me, since, again, not planning to.

Happy Oct 6, 2018 5:10 pm

Can you use TBIT check point with a domestic flight BP?

Have an AS flight but would like to visit the PF Chang, a Priority Pass contracted restaurant, at TBIT for lunch before the AS flight departing at 3:25pm.

I know TBIT is connected to T4-5-6-7 thru Airside Corridors with about 5 to 8 min walk to go thru each corridor.

DPs are much appreciated.

Happy Oct 6, 2018 5:15 pm

@Marjoboston

The time of the day determines which path is faster.

For your 6am arrival and 830am connecting flight, I believe using the T4 Pre would be quicker than using the connector check point which could be like a zoo in the morning hours.
In the early afternoon the check point at the connector is almost empty hardly any passenger, But during the flight bank of international arrivals in the morning, that place is a mad house based on our memory while T4 has much less passengers.

bzcat Oct 8, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by markoboston (Post 30279604)
I am confused about different accounts I've read about minimizing transfer time international to domestic. In some accounts, I've read that it's always fastest to use the security checkpoint in the terminal connector between TBIT and Terminal 4. In other accounts, I've read that the terminal connector does not have a separate line for TSA Pre, or that the main security checkpoint for Terminal 4 is generally very quick and does offer TSA Pre.

I will be landing on an international AA flight at a little after 6:00 a.m. on a Wednesday, assuming it's on time. I have Global Entry but anticipate that I will be held up waiting to take a checked bag through customs. My goal then (especially if my incoming flight is late) will be to minimize time passing through security to make an 8:30 domestic connecting flight in Terminal 4. Should I head for the terminal connector or walk up the road to Terminal 4 and enter through its security checkpoint?

Thanks once again!

Time of day is a big factor. Early AM, there are lots of Qantas pax connecting to AA and they jam up the TBIT arrival level (connector) TSA. T4 precheck will definitely be quicker.

Late mornings or early afternoon when there are relatively few int'l arrivals, the TBIT arrival level TSA is pretty empty.

The good news for anyone coming out of TBIT custom is you can see the line at TBIT arrival leval TSA. If that line looks long, you can turn around and head for the exit to curb side and walk to T4.

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30286665)
Can you use TBIT check point with a domestic flight BP?

Have an AS flight but would like to visit the PF Chang, a Priority Pass contracted restaurant, at TBIT for lunch before the AS flight departing at 3:25pm.

I know TBIT is connected to T4-5-6-7 thru Airside Corridors with about 5 to 8 min walk to go thru each corridor.

DPs are much appreciated.

You should be fine with using TBIT TSA but the walk from T4 to TBIT is not that different than walking all the way to TBIT.

Happy Oct 8, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30292701)
You should be fine with using TBIT TSA but the walk from T4 to TBIT is not that different than walking all the way to TBIT.

AS flight departs from T6. Our flight is in late afternoon but we would check out Hilton LAX by 11am.

So the plan, if it works, is to clear security at TBIT, (online check in to get the AS BPs) and then head to PF Chang to use the Priority Pass benefit. After lunch, walk all the way to T6 for our late afternoon flight.

Alternatively, check in at T6 and hope our F waitlist would clear (highly unlikely). Walk to T4 to clear security, Priority Pass also has a contracted restaurant at T4 (Campanile). We can have lunch there instead of PF Chang at TBIT. Walk back to T6 via airside corridor.

What would you pick?

bzcat Oct 8, 2018 6:50 pm

PF Chang is definitely not worth the walk to TBIT. But if you are getting dropped off by Hilton shuttle, it's fine to go there first. PP member also has access to the KE lounge at TBIT.

Alternatively, PP members can access the AS lounge in T6 which should be below capacity in the afternoon. The pancake machine at the AS lounge is great if you really want free food.

Hawaiian717 Oct 8, 2018 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30293721)
The pancake machine at the AS lounge is great if you really want free food.

I don’t know if things have changed but they used to only have it out during breakfast hours. I did have a chance to use one at a hotel earlier this year and it is pretty nifty.

Eastbay1K Oct 9, 2018 4:47 pm

Barney's Beanery in T2 is now part of Priority Pass (for all hours other than breakfast). Worth a stop (when the other option for me is the T2 DL lounge)?

Eastbay1K Oct 10, 2018 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 (Post 30294216)

I don’t know if things have changed but they used to only have it out during breakfast hours. I did have a chance to use one at a hotel earlier this year and it is pretty nifty.

It was out at dinnertime a couple of weeks ago.

Hawaiian717 Oct 10, 2018 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30297376)
Barney's Beanery in T2 is now part of Priority Pass (for all hours other than breakfast). Worth a stop (when the other option for me is the T2 DL lounge)?

The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in T2 is also open to Priority Pass, but only in the mornings from 5am to 10:45am (10:30am beginning November 4, 2018).

zoefish Oct 10, 2018 11:09 am

I would chose the DL lounge. Barney's Beanery in T2 simply not that exciting.

Happy Oct 14, 2018 11:07 am

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30293721)
PF Chang is definitely not worth the walk to TBIT. But if you are getting dropped off by Hilton shuttle, it's fine to go there first. PP member also has access to the KE lounge at TBIT.<br /><br />Alternatively, PP members can access the AS lounge in T6 which should be below capacity in the afternoon. The pancake machine at the AS lounge is great if you really want free food.

Yes, can have the HH shuttle drop us off at TBIT or T4, and walk to T6 airside afterward, as there would be zero possibility to clear the waitlisted F on a late afternoon Transcon Thanksgiving Day. In fact, any day, for that matter on the VX flights.

TBIT is simply a much more pleasant terminal than T6 for spending a few hours. Though there are Wolfgang's at T6 that may work, but the setting is less than preferred.

Been in AS lounge a couple times when flying AS own metal Fs. The impression is AS lounge should be avoided it if there are other options. Does not compare to any of the OneWorld / Star Alliance lounges (not even considering the foods, just the settings) at TBIT. Or even the DL lounge at T2. Not sure how others rave about the pancake machines. No way the pancake machines can compare to PF Chang's foods by the same standard. A basic noodle / rice dish at PF Chang would beat the pancake machines by miles in my book. But of course food is very subjective.

Unfortunately just found out Campanile at T4 left PP in less than a month after joining. Must be over-utilized than the business has anticipated. I imagine PP cardholders flying out of T4, 5 and 6 all flocked there to use their benefits, with some did not leave tips... So it is no more in such short order.

Eastbay1K Oct 16, 2018 8:55 am

Originally Posted by zoefish (Post 30300198)
I would chose the DL lounge. Barney's Beanery in T2 simply not that exciting.

Barney's Beanery was proudly displaying its "C" rating from the LA County health department. (I'd imagine it might be the cleanest restaurant in the airport now, trying to get rid of its scarlet letter.) The DL Lounge in T2 has a B rating.

Wow

zoefish Oct 19, 2018 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30320982)
Barney's Beanery was proudly displaying its "C" rating from the LA County health department. (I'd imagine it might be the cleanest restaurant in the airport now, trying to get rid of its scarlet letter.) The DL Lounge in T2 has a B rating.

Wow

Excited to see you Eastbay1K. Thank you for all the fab-u-lous trip reports.

Boraxo Nov 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30297376)

It is reported that Barneys (like Campanile) will not longer participate in the PP program. I see this as a major loss for WN customers (Barneys was the closest option for T1) but others may differ. The Virgin lounge in T2 may now be the best option on the north side of the airport, assuming your flight departs before 11am as it shuts to PP members around 10am.

Colin Nov 12, 2018 5:12 pm

that would have to be some nasty kind of flight delay to incent me to clear security 2 or 3 times at multiple terminals just for some crappy free snacks

Jonathan m Nov 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Delta one lounge access

flying delta one from LAX to Tokyo in December. Flight appears to depart from TBIT, but all the delta one check in experience and sky clubs are in T2... is it worth checking in there and taking the shuttle? Or just skip and go straight to TBIT? I also am not sure what lounges I would be allowed in TBIT... it looks like maybe KAL but they are not open in the morning when my flight departs

Hawaiian717 Nov 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan m (Post 30433848)
it looks like maybe KAL but they are not open in the morning when my flight departs

The KAL Lounge actually opens at 8:30am. They just don't accept PriorityPass until 12:00 noon.

Colin Nov 15, 2018 5:06 pm

assuming TSA pre, olci boarding pass, and no checked luggage, i’d be dropped off at T4 60 minutes prior to departure, clear TSA pre security at T2, and get directly to the Bradley gate at 45 minutes prior to departure.

neither the T2 or Bradley lounges available to you are worth arriving to LAX any earlier, though you’d pass right by the KE lounge on the short walk

bzcat Nov 16, 2018 3:30 pm

If your flight leaves from TBIT, there is no reason to waste your time with T2 Delta One nonsense or Sky Club. Just do OLCI and go straight to TBIT arrival level or T4 TSA which are closer to the KE lounge than the regular TBIT departure level TSA.

lsquare Mar 15, 2019 5:42 am

I can’t decide whether to go to a lounge or a restaurant with my Priority Pass. Last time I was at LAX, I just spent my layover time at PF Chang. I’ll be flying with DL from MSY and suppose to land at T2 and fly out from there with WS. It’ll be a 3 hours 46 min. layover. Which point would you guys recommend or even restaurant? What else would you do?

bzcat Mar 15, 2019 11:24 am

I guess VS Club in T2 is out of the question due to your arrival time?

If you are willing to trek to TBIT for PF Chang, why not just go to KE lounge?

lsquare Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30891100)
I guess VS Club in T2 is out of the question due to your arrival time?

If you are willing to trek to TBIT for PF Chang, why not just go to KE lounge?

Why would VS Club be out of the question? I’m not against going to KE lounge. Have you been there before? Worth going? How long is the walk from T2 to TBIT?

Hawaiian717 Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30891414)
Why would VS Club be out of the question?

VS Club accepts Priority Pass only until 10:30am, though this will change to 11:30am on March 31. Looking at Delta's schedule, if you're on the morning MSY-LAX flight you should be able to use the VS Club since it arrives around 8:30am; the other flights arrive in the afternoon so the VS Club wouldn't be an option.

bzcat Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30891414)

Why would VS Club be out of the question? I’m not against going to KE lounge. Have you been there before? Worth going? How long is the walk from T2 to TBIT?

Because that's the obvious answer if you are arriving and departing from T2. Just go to VS Club. Unless you are arriving outside of PP hours.

T2 to TBIT is about a 10 minute walk landside. DL also operates an airside shuttle that can take you to TBIT.

KE lounge is ok... not that great but it's better than no lounge. My point was if you are willing to walk to PF Chang (which is in TBIT), you should just go to the KE lounge.

But obviously if you land during VS PP hours, don't even bother with KE lounge (or PF Chang for that matter).

joseeantonior Jun 5, 2019 11:20 pm

I have a 4h15 layover in LAX, and options to access the Polaris Lounge, *A Business, or *A First. My connecting flight departs on United. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

EDIT: Does anyone know if the *A First lounge considers domestic First as First Class?

TWA884 Jun 6, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by joseeantonior (Post 31175234)
EDIT: Does anyone know if the *A First lounge considers domestic First as First Class?

This thread in the United forum may be relevant:

tstauck Jun 6, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by joseeantonior (Post 31175234)
I have a 4h15 layover in LAX, and options to access the Polaris Lounge, *A Business, or *A First. My connecting flight departs on United. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

With 4 hours and if you don't mind stretching your legs, I would hit both *A Business in TBIT and the Polaris Lounge in T7 (United). Both have nice showers. It's about 15 min each way from T7 to TBIT, walking fairly briskly.

Not sure on the *A First access.

mustard Sep 7, 2019 11:42 am

LAX lounges - how early?

Hi everyone,

Due to a spot of poor planning, I'm going to arrive at LAX about seven hours earlier than my departure time. I leave tonight on an overnight to JFK with Alaska, so from Terminal 6, departing around 11pm. I have the Amex Platinum Priority Pass, so do you know how early I can use the benefits? I've seen three-hour limits in Europe, but not sure if its similar here and if it's checked/enforced.

I've also read posts about patchy PP service at the Alaska lounge in T6, so might try one of the other terminals first if you have recommendations?

Thanks!