Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Truxton's is very good.

Please also see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384510

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:27 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jonfriedman
due to a schedule change, my family of four will get into lax at 6pm and not leave until 8am the following day.
At least the carrier is giving me two vouchers for a local hotel.
Can anybody recommend a good place to eat w/in a reasonable cab ride distance away from lax?
thanks!
There's an In & Out on Sepulveda right outside LAX. Get a taste of true Southern California cuisine! ^ ^

If you're feeling white napkin, there's the Pacific Dining Car in Santa Monica... ^
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:34 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
George Petrelli's

steak house in Culver City, straight shot N of LAX on Sepulveda.

Or just before you get there, Dinah's for fried chicken.

They don't sound very SoCal, though do they?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abraxis
If you're feeling white napkin, there's the Pacific Dining Car in Santa Monica... ^
Cab ride is at least 30 minutes from LAX-area hotels to this place.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cafe del Rey in the Marina is great plus if you get a window table you have a beautiful view of all the boats----VERY California-ish!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Disneyland question for little kids

I know it is not appropriate for this forum, but could someone please give some advice related to taking little kids to Disneyland? I was able to use miles to send my wife and kids out to California to meet me on a business trip and am taking them to Disneyland for one day. I cannot seem to find an FT like site related to getting advice related to advice on things to do with little tykes in the park.

I would appreciate some direction.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by JB123
I know it is not appropriate for this forum, but could someone please give some advice related to taking little kids to Disneyland? I was able to use miles to send my wife and kids out to California to meet me on a business trip and am taking them to Disneyland for one day. I cannot seem to find an FT like site related to getting advice related to advice on things to do with little tykes in the park.

Check out http://www.mouseplanet.com ... They have great weekly updates and a great set of forums.

Have a great time!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Have you tried the California and Travel with Children fora?

Last edited by mahasamatman; Sep 19, 2007 at 8:27 pm Reason: mis-read the OP
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by JB123

You would probably get a better response in the California forum or Travel With Children forum. Perhaps the mods will move it for you.

However, my son lives in Anaheim and worked at both Disneyland and Disneyworld. If you have some specific questions, I'll be happy to offer my .02
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS
I'm sure someone will move this but here's an answer to get started in the meantime.

There are rides for just about every age able to comprehend the world. For young kids most will be in toon town and fantasy land. Depending on just how young the kids are and how easily they frighten you may want to scope out some of the fantasy land rides like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as it's a bit dark (in the theatrical sense) and moves fairly fast. Still, kids tend to love this section of the park.

This time of year there will also be a few shows on the weekend in both California Adventure and the main park. Rides like startours are a must do for boys over 4 or 5 and small world for girls of any age. The new nemo ride is now open and kids do love nemo, the line however can be unforgiving.

Besides rides there's the obligatory over priced meal. For better food or healthier food try the space cafe in tomorrow land (near the starwars theater) or the pavilion just past main street on the road to fantasy land. If the kids are old enough they may enjoy the starwars theatre which is interactive with kids getting light sabers and the whole 9 yards.

You can also take photos with the cast characters, some will be wandering the park, others will be in set seating areas with lines. There's a plethora of shops to waste money on those "must have items" and lots of junk food to consume from any of the dozens of snack shops. It's all a part of the Disney experience and makes for more photos. Be sure to bring spare batteries and memory cards, neither are cheap in the park.

If you're going in the next few weeks you'll find the park is all done up for Halloween, which is rather fun and something that many people don't see. There are a few rides altered for this like the haunted mansion but younger kids may not do too well on that. After that they switch to Christmas theme which is also fun with fake snow and lots of other extras.

If you plan to stay all day bring or rent a stroller if the kids are still in that age. Disneyland isn't the size of disneyworld by a long shot but it's big enough that I feel it after a full day and just about every time I go (season pass holder) I watch some poor father or mother trying to carry their kid from the very back to the very front.

There's a calendar of events which you may also want to check out that lists each day's special events. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...&date=20070928

Have fun and remember, the best way to enjoy the park is to make sure you get to enjoy it too.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Be sure to hit Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! and listen for my voice...
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Mouseplanet.com is a great resource!! I have learn tons from that site over the years. In fact, I have learned so much that I have complied a "Disneyland Tips" guide that I am happy to share. Please pm me and I can email it to you - is about 14 pages (word doc) so I don't think I can post it here (although if anyone else wants its, I am happy to send it to them).

Last edited by sierranevada; Sep 19, 2007 at 9:55 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Be sure to hit Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! and listen for my voice...

Okay - been on that many times.... what do you say?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:59 pm

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT UNLESS YOUR CHILDREN ARE OLD ENOUGH TO WALK ON THERE OWN DO NOT TAKE THEM. If they are out of strollers they should have a great time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.