Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Disneyland questions & area accommodations/restaurants"[merged threads]

Consolidated "Disneyland questions & area accommodations/restaurants"[merged threads]

Old Jun 27, 05, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
We heard rumors that Disneyland was not crowded on Thanksgiving. We tried it and it was horrible. I couldn't believe it. It really put us off Disneyland. Frankly, I think it is almost impossible to find a good day anymore, and I don't care to spend this much money for a day of waiting in terrible lines. I loved Disneyland when I was growing up, but my children have only been a couple of times, and we are unlikely to go anytime soon.
Old Jun 27, 05, 9:58 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA PremEx MM; AA Gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott Plat, & some other titles with marginal utility value
I worked at Disneyland from October 1975 until January 1981. Thanksgiving and Christmas were always crowded then. I always worked those days, as the Union contract paid us double time.

Last time I was at the park was a random Wednesday, two February's ago. Place was deserted.

Worst day I ever remembered was July 4, 1976. Seem to recall the attendance that day was 72,000 (in those days gate entry count was posted the following day for staff to see). At the time 55,000 was considered an approximate sell out. The front gates typically would be closed for new guests, when the parking lot was full.

Park is much larger in size now, versus the 70's.
Old Jun 27, 05, 10:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Go on SuperBowl Sunday.
Old Jun 28, 05, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
I just got an annual pass to the parks this past Sunday and was there from 9am to 11:30pm. Crowds are less first thing in the morning and gradually pick up throughout the day. If you dont mind not seeing parades and fireworks those are good times to ride rides.

It's gonna be crowded this summer due to the 50th. Plus Space Mtn. reopens soon so that'll add capacity.

I honestly didn't think the wait times Sunday were horrible for a late June Sunday. 30 minutes was longest we waited for the things we chose to ride and if you get a Fastpass even better.

After the fireworks the crowds thin tremendously and they were open until midnight.

My favorite time to go is autumn. No crowds (or minimal crowds), weather is usually lovely too.
Old Jun 29, 05, 5:07 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This summer has been running well over forecast for Disneyland attendance and under (as usual) for California Adventure. Ignoring the overall bump in attendance, best days are Tuesday/Wednesday. As former AP holders, we would typically arrive late afternoon on a Tuesday, stay over and go back at opening Wed and leave after lunch. I can enjoy about 3 hours of Disney per day, with 5 hours being my maximum tolerance before I stop having fun. Sunday mornings are usually ok also. You basically have to be there at opening to do the Fantasyland rides.

The extended family usually ends up in Anaheim for Thx. Thanksgiving Day from opening until around 11 to noon is okay, although getting worse every year. Day before Thx is good, day after unspeakable. As someone noted, Disneyland in the rain clears out fast and is quite fun.
Old Jun 29, 05, 5:17 pm

The only thing to consider when going off season is the rehab schedule. A lot of maintanence was deferred over the last few years, so they're doing a lot of catchup.
Old Jun 29, 05, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP/LTT, HH Gold, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, UA Silver, Recovering ex-AA EXP
Originally Posted by BambooTom
Go on SuperBowl Sunday.
According to Trivial Pursuit, you are correct.
Old Jun 30, 05, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by MarshKing
According to Trivial Pursuit, you are correct.
I have always wondered if this were true and meant for years to give it a try.

I 'thought' going on a rainy Easter Sunday would be a 'smart move' once. It wasn't Lines, crowds,, etc.....just wetter
Old Oct 4, 05, 8:32 pm
Original Member

Spending Thanksgiving dinner at Disneyland

Can anyone suggest any restaurants that will serve Thanksgiving Dinner near Disneyland that won't break the bank? Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 05, 9:55 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Mar Gld, SPG Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sggolf
Can anyone suggest any restaurants that will serve Thanksgiving Dinner near Disneyland that won't break the bank? Thanks.
Look at Downtown Disney - attached to Disneyland. I like the ESPNZone.
Old Oct 15, 05, 10:34 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: Hertz Gold, BMI Gold, CO Plat, National EE, Avis PC,
Disneyland Deal? (I am a Emergency Worker)

Hi, I am trying to find a deal on Disneyland (ananheim) preferably a one day pass but if it is an amazing deal i would do something else.
I Live in LA, And I am A Emergency First Responder (if that helps)

I am looking for tickets for my whole family, for sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Thankx
Old Oct 15, 05, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by ghurty
Hi, I am trying to find a deal on Disneyland (ananheim) preferably a one day pass but if it is an amazing deal i would do something else.

Thankx
I recall that they have reduced rates for CA residents, but not sure if that is current or not. Otherwise, AAA has some packages, or Costco as well.
Old Oct 15, 05, 10:51 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I believe Disney offers a discounted annual pass for Southern CA residents. I don't think there is one for a short trip. They do have one for 1 Day though.

If you belong to a credit union, I'd check there.

Some employers have signed up for entertainment discounts thru a program available to companies. Check with your employer. Not all employers have such program.

Also, if you're a member of AAA, they have discount passes. AAA usually includes free parking. I'd inquire before purchasing.

Some grocery stores also sell admission passes at a discount or includes a perk that is unavailable at the park.

Last edited by goingsomewhere; Oct 15, 05 at 10:56 pm
Old Oct 15, 05, 10:59 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Not 100% sure about Emergency Workers, but I know that Disney are always more than happy to help Military workers.

here are some of the discounts that Military get.

There's more found at here but that's general Military and not necessarily for Medics etc.
Old Oct 17, 05, 7:28 pm

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Originally Posted by ghurty

Thankx
Ask your LA area employer or union about a free Magic Kingdom Club discount card.

Update: Magic Kingdom Club cards are history. Big employers / unions may still offer discounts. Teachers, military with PX privileges, military civilians/contractors, SoCal residents also get discounts. For the complete skinny, see MouseSavers.

Last edited by mbstone; Nov 1, 05 at 11:21 pm Reason: Include military contractors with ID

Search this Thread