Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Disneyland questions & area accommodations/restaurants"[merged threads]

Consolidated "Disneyland questions & area accommodations/restaurants"[merged threads]

Old Feb 26, 16, 9:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by swise View Post
There are a ton of hotels directly across Harbor Blvd. They're not super fancy, but they are fine, and they are reasonable. I've stayed at the Parkvue Inn. It's fine, and you can't get closer unless you stay at the Grand Californian for 5 times as much. They have breakfast included every morning, and parking is free.

Agree that you can get by without a car. I was carless my first two days in Anaheim. Von's will deliver groceries for free. They showed up with them a couple of hours after our arrival, as scheduled. Uber and taxis are great. Note: you'll probably need car seats for small children if using uber but not for taxis, if you are ok with the risk. My 3-y-o came down with pneumonia in the air en route to LAX (yay asthma), and so we ended up ubering and taxi-ing to dr appointments and pharmacies the first two days. It was fine.

Great information. I didn't think about staying at a someone house. I think we might explore that options. Thanks again.
Old Aug 2, 16, 12:51 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Hi all,
We are driving to Disneyland around August 15, for 2 days; then we have a reservation at Huntington Beach Hyatt to "recover"
It's our first Disneyland and I may need to step up for my wife.
What's the best way to get 2 days including any fast pass (line jumping?) privileges? And should we just stay at Disneyland hotel instead of Hyatt house Anaheim resort? Or is it easy to drive from Hyatt house to Disneyland parking lot?
Should I just buy from Disneyland website or are there better (legit) 3rd party vendors?
Old Aug 2, 16, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Hi all,
We are driving to Disneyland around August 15, for 2 days; then we have a reservation at Huntington Beach Hyatt to "recover"
It's our first Disneyland and I may need to step up for my wife.
What's the best way to get 2 days including any fast pass (line jumping?) privileges? And should we just stay at Disneyland hotel instead of Hyatt house Anaheim resort? Or is it easy to drive from Hyatt house to Disneyland parking lot?
Should I just buy from Disneyland website or are there better (legit) 3rd party vendors?
The Hyatt House Anaheim Resort is brand new. It's actually closer to Disneyland than the nearby "Toy Story" parking lot, and is pretty easy to walk to the front gate. Staying at one of the Disney properties is nice, there are a few benefits. Notably, Disney hotel guests can usually get into one of the parks an hour early before they open to the public, and there's a hotel guest only entrance to California Adventure from the Grand Californian hotel (available to guests of all three hotels). It's also nice to be able to remain in the Disney environment when staying at the Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian, but not critical, especially if you're saving a fair amount of money by staying at a non-Disney hotel.

Disneyland is not like Universal, they don't sell special "front of the line" tickets. Fast passes are distributed on a first come, first served basis at each attraction that offers it, and has a designated one hour time window for you to come back and use the fast pass entrance. It will also have a time you can get another fast pass, usually two hours later or whenever the return window opens, whichever is first. Some shows (Frozen and World of Color, for example), use the fast pass system for ticketing for shows, and having those fast passes doesn't impact your ability to get fast passes for other attractions.

There aren't many legitimate public ways to get discounted Disney tickets; watch for third party sites offering discounted tickets since they may try to resell multi-day tickets for use by several people one day at a time; Disney doesn't allow this and now takes a picture of guests with multi-day tickets at the entrance so they'll catch this and won't let you in. You may be able to get discounted tickets through your employer, credit union, or the AAA; other than that you might as well just get them through the Disneyland web site.
Old Aug 2, 16, 2:03 pm

Solid advice from Hawaiian717.

With only two days at Disneyland and "may need to step up", I suggest staying on Disney property at the Grand CA or the Disneyland Hotel.

For tickets, I suggest arestravel.com...save a few bucks. No need for the park hopper, spend 1 day at each park.
Old Aug 2, 16, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Solid advice from Hawaiian717 and Troopers!

There *is* a way to get front-of-the-line access at Disneyland, but it's going to cost you. They offer "VIP Tours" with a guide, and while front-of-the-line is never promised, that's basically what you get. They also make sure you get the best viewing of any shows, reservations and any restaurants you want, etc. I don't know the current pricing, but it's something like $400 per hour with a six hour minimum. There's not much more "stepping up" one can do at Disneyland than a VIP tour.
Old Aug 2, 16, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
There *is* a way to get front-of-the-line access at Disneyland, but it's going to cost you. They offer "VIP Tours" with a guide, and while front-of-the-line is never promised, that's basically what you get.
Disneyland Resort VIP Tours

Welcome to the ultimate VIP theme park experienceóyour own private tour guide, and priority access to 30+ attractions and shows!

Call for Reservations (714) 300-7710
Old Aug 3, 16, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recommend staying at a Disney property. Even Paradise Pier. ..the cheapest of the 3 is a special experience. As others have said...getting in to the park early is great. Know that people line up for the early entrance. Get your tix before you go there. I don't know how old the kids are but it's also nice to be able to walk back to the hotel mid day for naps or pool time.
Some attractions have single rider lines which go fast. ..so if one of you wants to go on something that others don't it's quick. Do a little reading on the art of the Fast Pass....you can really cut down on wait time if you juggle properly. I can't think of the name....mousetime maybe...for the free app that is good for updating you on wait times.
I prefer park hopper tix....sometimes one park is busier than the other ---just more flexibility and options.
Have a corn dog! Btw...you can take a bottle of water in the park now which they didn't used to allow. Better than paying $2.50...I just refill kine at fountains.
Old Nov 22, 17, 6:48 pm
Original Member

Disneyland Ticket discounts

Does any FTer work at a SoCal company or know of a credit union that sells Disneyland tickets at a discount? Looking for 2 day tickets (PH or 1 day). Or appreciate any tips on discounts.

Appreciate if you can help! Thanks!

Last edited by sggolf; Nov 24, 17 at 12:37 pm
Old Dec 8, 17, 7:06 am

Those discounts have just about disappeared for everyone. With record crowds, they have no incentive to provide discounted admission to anyone. Up until a couple years ago, I used to get them through my union, my employer, my husband's employer, and AAA. They slowly decreased the size of the discount before eliminating them completely. The only 'discount' they have offered in the last few years is ~$20 off when you renew an annual pass (which keeps increasing exponentially in cost). The best tip to maximize your time and money is to go midweek when school is in session, and to be standing in line at the front gate when the park opens. The first couple hours are OK, but it gets mobbed by lunch time. It usually does not thin out until a couple hours before closing.

The crowds in the last couple years have been unbearable during the weekend. I live 25 minutes away, but there are many times that I have considered letting go of my $1k annual pass and taking a few extra trips to Hong Kong to enjoy that park, devoid of the maddening crowds and lines. Tokyo trumps them all, but the you definitely have to consult the crowd calendar when planning a trip. As cheap as airfare to Asia has become, it is almost cheaper to travel across the ocean than across the country.
Old Dec 9, 17, 11:22 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
If you plan to go just for a day, you can get slightly cheaper 1-day Parkhopper tickets by purchasing from an online silent auction. Bonus: you get to support a special cause in the process! The best site for online fundraising options I have found is http://handbid.com.
Old Feb 20, 19, 9:58 am

Forgot to say that Hyatt House was great when we stayed there in 2016! Big thank you
Old Feb 23, 19, 11:44 pm

Maxpass is $15/day per person for mobile phone and it’s worth it
basicslly Disney isn’t cheap and it’s going to be amazing for any budget. But best to budget it so that one can enjoy it!
Old Feb 25, 19, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Maxpass is $15/day per person for mobile phone and itís worth it
basicslly Disney isnít cheap and itís going to be amazing for any budget. But best to budget it so that one can enjoy it!
Disney is crazy expensive on every level. I used Maxpass when I went in November but it was packed. I am surprised you needed to buy and use it for this past week. Was it really that crowded?
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:10 pm

Maxpass works out well when you have a park hopper, but it seems to be a bit too expensive if you have single park/day tickets. It is only 5-10 minute walk from one end to the other, and you only need to send one person in your group to get the Fastpasses at the kiosk if it is out of the way. We have it included with our AP, but I doubt I would spend the money on it otherwise. Many people do not realize that Fastpasses are and always have been free for everyone, which is why FP usage and FP lines have increased quite a bit since Maxpass came out. Maxpass just saves you the trip to the kiosk in front of the ride, and it includes photopass (but you can always hand your phone/camera to the Photopass person instead).
Old Mar 4, 19, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by downinit View Post
Maxpass works out well when you have a park hopper, but it seems to be a bit too expensive if you have single park/day tickets. It is only 5-10 minute walk from one end to the other, and you only need to send one person in your group to get the Fastpasses at the kiosk if it is out of the way. We have it included with our AP, but I doubt I would spend the money on it otherwise. Many people do not realize that Fastpasses are and always have been free for everyone, which is why FP usage and FP lines have increased quite a bit since Maxpass came out. Maxpass just saves you the trip to the kiosk in front of the ride, and it includes photopass (but you can always hand your phone/camera to the Photopass person instead).
Oh my---AP holder! I am impressed and jealous.
Even if just in Disneyland, MP is big time saver if the place is crowded and you don't want to have to plow your way from Space Mountain to the Haunted Mansion. But if not too crowded I probably wouldn't buy it. I don't even really know what the photpass deal is so we didn't use that part of it.