Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The "Greater LA Area Restaurant Recommendations/Questions" thread 2001-13 [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Newer posts on this topic are located in the current thread:
Print Wikipost

The "Greater LA Area Restaurant Recommendations/Questions" thread 2001-13 [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:08 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
The owners of the Wine Bistro for many years also ran Le Sanglier in Tarzana, who's menu is fairly similar (not 100% sure that ownership is still mutual). The Tarzana location is more traditional upscale French. Its been an institution in the San Fernando Valley for probably north of thirty years.

Prices at Le Sanglier are now in the $39 range for the three course meal, with typically a dozen entree choices, and 6-8 starter and dessert options. Wine Bistro has also gone up from the $30 price point, but is still a few dollars less than Le Sanglier.

I personally like Le Sanglier a bit better, as it is more elegant, and the menu options are more exotic-French.

18760 Ventura Blvd (entrance is actually on Crebs, which is Burbank Blvd. as it goes south of Ventura Blvd.)

Tarzana, CA 91356-3303
Phone: (818)345-0470

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 7:13 pm

Allesio's Restaurant in West Hills (West San Fernando Valley)

This is one of our favorite restaurants in the west valley. Tony, who is the owner, is awesome, and their food is always consistantly excellent. They are located in a strip mall of all places, but the inside is open and I feel romantic. Their pricing is very reasonable at 10 - 15 per entree with salads ala carte. Generally speaking we are always full prior to our meal arriving as we eat a bunch of the hot fresh bread that is served. Their bread is served with a garlic and olive oil dipping sauce that allows anyone to keep the vampires away. Their salad with gorgonzola is great and so is their minestrone for an appitizer. I personally love the chicken dish prepared in a white wine sauce. They are all double breast portions so you can share with a loved one. They even go as far as splitting all of the dishes in the back for you so that you have your own sampler platter if you so desire.

The service is top notch. I always ask for Bobby (true New Yorker). He is a crack up and he is as reliable as they are. He has been working for Tony and at Allesio since they opened many many years ago.

Whatever you do, save room for dessert. While they don't make their dessert themselves, they get the dessert from Edie's Pasteries from what I remember. My favorite is the strawberry florentine cup. This is a florentine cookie cup that is dipped in chocolate filled with custard cream and strawberries. This is one of my favorite desserts anywhere.

Food wise, this ranks in one of the top restaurants in the valley. They are located at 6428 Platt Avenue West Hills, CA. Their number is 818.710-0270.

I also forgot to mention that on the weekends, they have a piano bar. Dress is nice casual. Kakhi's are enough. They also have another restaurant in Reseda, but I have not visited that location.

Hope you enjoy this restaurant. If you have any feedback on this restaurant or if you are planning on coming out to Los Angeles, please feel free to drop me an email as I will be more than happy to steer you into some of my favorite restaurants in the area in which you are staying.

Andrew
Old Mar 13, 2003, 12:35 am
DCW

Japanese Restaurant - Kaiseki

Anyone know if there is a good Japanese Restaurant that serve Kaiseki in LA or OC area.

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:23 am

matsuhisa
Old Apr 13, 2003, 3:57 pm
R&R

Go to the Bellagio in Las Vegas and you will get the best food at the Japanese restaurant. Ask for the Sampling Menu.

Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:20 am

Long Beach area restaurant recommendation??

I will be in Long Beach for 2 nights in August, does anyone have any restaurant recommendations in the area??

I will be staying at the Westin.

Old Jul 10, 2003, 2:22 pm

There are many to choose from. What type of food are you looking for, and what is your price range? Downtown, close to the Westin, are a number of good restaurants within walking distance, such as 555, Mum's, L'Opera, and King's Fish House.

Down at Shoreline village, there is the Yardhouse, (good food, good selection of beers) and Parker's Lighthouse, among others.

If you want to venture to Belmont Shore area (you can take the Passport for 90 cents) I would recommend Bono's, a new, upscale restaurant, Shenandoah, or Lucille's depending on what you are looking for. Plus other cute little places.

If you go a little further to the marina, there is Buster's, and a new one, McKenna's, which is beautiful inside, and I hear very good, though pricey.

Let me know what you are looking for, and I might be able to help you narrow it down. And have fun out here!

Old Jul 10, 2003, 4:26 pm

Wow, thanks for the start.

We are staying 2 nights in Santa Monica and then 2 nights in Long Beach because I have never been south of LAX.

Price is not a big obstacle, though I prefer casual to stuffy. I live in Atlanta and enjoy the differences of the California cuisine . I love a great short rib and would enjoy good seafood, and some good california wines we don't see here.

A run on the beach will be followed by a good breakfast somewhere.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:46 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
If price is not an object, the Skyroom has decent food, good music, and amazing views.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 3:37 pm

Just came back froom LB and had a wonderful NC BBQ at Jonny Rebs out on Bell flower just ast the 91 It is about 4 miles from the water inland but waht a great meal Breakfast of grits and ham bisquits sausages etc Dinner of pulled pork BBQ chicken Brunswick stew all with lots of sides Yummm
Old Jul 17, 2003, 8:25 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions
Old Jul 31, 2003, 6:11 pm

I like new places

What is Buster's or Bono's? Type of food, ambience, price...?

Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 2:40 pm

Buster's is a fun place and casual. Here is a link to their website (I guess there is also one in San Diego).

http://www.bustersbeachhouse.com/

Bono's is a little more upscale, white tablecloths, with both a nice indoor and outdoor eating area, and nice decor on the inside. The menu has some Italian influences, but I wouldn't necessarily call it an Italian restaurant. It is Christy Bono's 3rd restaurant in the area (she sold Nico's, but still has Christy's), and it is very popular, judging by the crowds I see there. I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm sure I'll find someone to go with soon. :-)
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Try Papadakis for fun - "not suit" but "not shorts" - Greek. Dancing and plate smashing included.
One large room owned and operated by the brothers Papdakis. Has won many many awards. Make sure to call and get a reservation first.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 3:37 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
LA Food Show a restaurant near LAX in Manhattan Beach

I went to this restaurant last night and it was very good. The restaurant is owned by the people of the California Pizza Kitchen and has a variety of foods ranging from lettuce cups to bangers and mash. It is quite trendy looking with red, black decor and lit up counter bar but it is more casual and moderately priced. The bar has two large TV's with sound for sports and there is bar to sit and watch the chefs as well as tables and booths.

It is located at the Manhattan Village which is located on Sepulveda and Rosecrans

LA Food Show
(310) 939-9033
3212 N Sepulveda Blvd
Manhattan Beach, CA
90266-2454 US

Distance: 3.18 miles

Total Estimated Time: 7 minutes

Driving Directions Distance

1. Start out going East on WORLD WAY/CENTER WAY. 0.01 Miles

2. Take the CA-1 S/SEPULVEDA BLVD SOUTH ramp toward I-105. 0.06 Miles

3. Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp. 0.02 Miles

4. Stay straight to go onto ramp. 0.04 Miles

5. Merge onto S SEPULVEDA BLVD/CA-1 S. 3.06 Miles

[This message has been edited by wingless (edited 10-24-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.