Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:12 am

Greetings LAX Gambit , we are flying in from Canada and clear US customs there . Our carrier Air Canada (Terminal 2) has an affiliation with United (Terminal 6 ) and would likely check baggage straight through . My thought was to pick up the baggage in Terminal 2 and walk it over to minimize the risk of having it go missing . My baggage has gotten lost a few times at different airports when changing terminals so I have become sceptical on the baggage handling system in general . If you have more insight on this (inter terminal baggage handling ) please share . Thanks .......pat3009
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:53 am

LAX -Luggage transfer between terminals

We are flying into LAX into Terminal 2 and then out on Terminal 6 . My question is how much time do we need to allow in out itinerary for the baggage to be transferred automatically or is it better to collect the baggage in Terminal 2 and then walk it over to Terminal 6 in a smarte cart . Any info is appreciated .............
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
LAX - Access to any other terminal inside security?

I have a 5 hour layover coming up in May, and I really don't want to spend the whole time in terminal 4, because, well, I'm not a big fan of Chilis and I just can't stand that the AAdmiral's Club charges $75 for two people for soda and pretzels, and doesn't even include alcohol. I don't want to go outside of security, though, because that's just a headache and a half.

Is there any other terminal I can get to without leaving security? Did they ever reopen the tunnels that go to 5/6/7? If so, where is the access point? Or is there a shuttle from 4 to Terminal 3, or something?

Someone must know.

I'll pay for the club if I must, but, I so won't be happy about it.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:49 am

There used to be connecting tunnels, but I think that they closed them a few years ago. There is a shuttle bus on the lower level that will take you to the other terminals. The restaurant in the old control tower is pretty interesting and there are several hotels with good restaurants close by, they have shuttles.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:51 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The tunnel is still closed at T4 (as of last month). I have heard that the UA sections of the tunnel are now open, but that doesn't help you in T4. The reason for keeping the tunnel closed is to prevent having to evacuate T4 when there is a security breach in T5, so it isn't likely to change soon.

There is an airside shuttle bus from T4 to the Eagle commuter terminal, and there you can change to a different bus to get to T3 and also T5. However they are supposed to check that you have a boarding pass for the terminal that you are going to, so you could wind up stranded and having to go landside to get back to T4. T4 is the best of the terminals so it is just worse wherever you go, fwiw. But then I have free FL access, making T4 rather nice to spend time in, so I might have the wrong perspective.

For a 5 hour layover, going landside would make the most sense. Security is fast at T4 most of the day (10 min), but lines get long in the early morning (6 am) and late night (10 pm). Mid-afternoon can be zero lines, for example (of course also not many flights then).
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:01 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I have a Priority Pass, though, which gets me into the Delta Club and the Alaska Club rooms (Terminal 5 and 3, respectively.) I'd rather hang there than in Terminal 4.

So if the shuttle to the AE satellite will theoretically get me there, well, I guess I can risk it. All I'd need to do is get over to T5 or T3 in the first place, and I'd have my valid AA T4 ticket to get back.

The Crown Room in LAX is small, but it was newly remodeled and the bartender is friendly.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:12 am
In Memoriam

Lax

Originally Posted by pat3009
We are flying into LAX into Terminal 2 and then out on Terminal 6 . My question is how much time do we need to allow in out itinerary for the baggage to be transferred automatically or is it better to collect the baggage in Terminal 2 and then walk it over to Terminal 6 in a smarte cart . Any info is appreciated .............
More info. would have been useful. Do it automatically(if possible) and budget 1:30-2:00hrs. If you walk it about :20-:25min(for the walk) then check your bags at least 1 hr before flt.
I hope this helps.
Next time include the airlines involved and possible connecting flts(arrival and depart times).
Old May 10, 2007, 8:01 pm

Connections in LAX and Airlines SYD-LAX

Hope this is the most appropriate section to put this in.

I'm a student travelling to Toronto in August (27). However, I'm flying out of LAX in January so I thought it would be better to purchase a Return SYD-LAX and then just a one way LAX-YYZ.

Which is better on the SYD-LAX route? Oantas or United? This is economy with no chance of upgrades etc. I'm able to save about $300-400 dollars with UA (it is the flight that leaves SYD 1345 and arrive 1014). Or would I be better paying the extra and going with Qantas? This is my first trip internaitonal by myself. Last time international was over ten years ago with family.

Connections in LAX.
ATM, I'm interested in the UA because of the savings. I would then fly on to Toronto with Air Canada. There is a AC792 flight at 1215 but I'm guessing there is a snowballs chance in hell of making it? The next one AC744 is at 1505 - would five hours give me enough to go through customs/security etc, swap terminals (I think it would be from T6 to T2), and then pass through security etc again?

Thanks for your help
Old May 11, 2007, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Honestly, I would save the $300-400 and fly UA. While service, food, and IFE are probably better on QF... it can't be $400 better.

On your return, since you'll essentially be buying two separate tickets, I would go with the later flight to YYZ (AC744) so you leave yourself room for any delays, and if you get there early, just standby for the early flight. You will be going from T7 to T2, which actually isn't so bad... either take the A shuttle T7>T1>T2, or just walk across, going by the Encounters restaurant.

I would see, however, if you can somehow buy either a) YYZ-LAX(long layover)-SYD-YYZ to get it on one PNR, or b) YYZ-LAX (one-way), then LAX-SYD-YYZ (open jaw return), so that at least the backend of your trip is on one PNR (which would protect you in case you're delayed).

Hope that helps.
Old May 11, 2007, 1:17 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If you are not a Canadian citizen or otherwise have the right to live in Canada, you will have problems entering Canada without proof of an intent to leave (such as a return flight). Depending on your other details, there is some chance of being refused entry by Canadian immigration if traveling on a one-way ticket. At a minimum they will require proof that you have enough money (it sounds like you are staying in Toronto for 6 months, and again depending on your citizenship might require a special visa, as tourists are limited to 90 days). Immigration typically requires that you have cash equivalent of about $2000/month, so you would need to prove that you have over $10,000 available to fund your trip. It might be advisable to have a return ticket instead. You probably should investigate what visa you need, if any, and other paper work such as letter of credit, rather than assuming that it is automatic admission to Canada as a tourist.

As for the QF vs. UA question, there is a reason that UA is so much cheaper: it isn't as good as QF. However, as Icetrojan mentioned, can it be $400 better for your purposes? Finally, a 2 hour connection is fine on a single ticket, but on separate tickets you need more time, as with separate tickets the risk of missing the flight is yours (and buy your tickets as a UA codeshare on AC and not as AC -- AC is very harsh on the ticket terms, UA is much more reasonable, esp. in LAX).
Old May 11, 2007, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
If you are not a Canadian citizen or otherwise have the right to live in Canada, you will have problems entering Canada without proof of an intent to leave (such as a return flight).
Nice catch. That's some upper-level thinking right there.
Old May 15, 2007, 2:06 am

Thanks IceTrojan and number_6 for your help.

I might as well give my reasons for going to Toronto - I'm an Australian citizen studying at an Australian university who is going on exchange for one semester to a university located an hour or so outside Toronto.

My plan is once I finish my study in mid December to travel by train (I'll also have non-immigrant US visa -I think thats the correct term) to New York and then travelling through the US until my departure back home in mid/late January. I'll be on a study permit in Canada - although I realise that this isn't issued to me until I meet an Immigration officer in Toronto - I only have a Letter of Introduction.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean separate tickets. I'm assuming they are seperate tickets but they are etickets and they are on the same page from the travel agent. This probably sounds dense but they appear separate tickets to me. It is UA840 SYD-LAX arriving LAX 1014 and then the return on the 21st Jan (keeps changing!) and then AC744 1505 LAX-YYZ.

Because of this scenario - Am I able to send my bags through all the way to YYZ from SYD? If so where would I do this - through my travel agent or checking in at SYD?
If I could check my baggage all the way through, what would be involved Security/Immigration wise at LAX including terminal change to get on my flight to YYZ? What about if I couldn't check my baggage, what would change?

And finally, how would I put myself on standby and what would happen to my bags?

Thanks for your help - I probably seem really dense but I haven't travelled overseas since 1994 and that was with my parents and I want to get everything straight.
Old May 15, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Terminal Times Between T7 and T2

I'll be flying in on an United flight from DEN. I'll be arriving and transfering to Air New Zealand in Terminal 2. I will not have to retrieve my luggage, but apparently I need to make my way from possibly Terminal 7 to Terminal 2, and go through Security. How long will it take me to get from the plane in Terminal 7 to Secuirty at Terminal 2? And how long do you think the security line will be around 7 pm at Terminal 2? Is there a priority line at Security for passengers traveling Business Premier on Air New Zealand?

Thanks for you help.
Old May 15, 2007, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You can wait for the shuttle or you can just walk across from T7 to T2 near the Encounter restaurant. If you don't have a lot of carry-on, that might be faster. It's been 3 years since I flew ANZ, but IIRC the security line was quite long around that time. I can't remember if there was an elite line or not. For some reason I don't recall actually having to spend too much time in the line, so maybe there was or the skycap I tipped heavily to get my bag sorted through TSA got me to the front of the line. Cheers.
Old May 15, 2007, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There is an elite line at T2 (all it does is get you through initial ID screening faster). Entrance is on the left side of the stair/escalator going up to the security stations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.