Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX officials plan to rename terminals and gates

Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

LAX Terminal Changes

• Terminal 1 and Concourse 0, the future terminal of the Southwest Airline expansion, will be consolidated to create a a new Terminal 1
  • Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 will be consolidated into a new Terminal 2
  • Terminal B, Tom Bradley International Terminal, and the Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) wil be renamed to Tom Bradley Terminal 3
  • Terminal 7 and Terminal 8 will be consolidated to create a new Terminal 7
Terminals 4, 5, and 6 would remain the same.

The planned future Terminal 9 would be named Terminal 8.
---
“The gate renumbering shall be an alphanumeric system consistently airportwide, starting over at each boarding area,” the proposal states.
  • Terminal 1 would include “A” and “B” gates.
  • Terminal 2 would include “C” and “D” gates.
  • Tom Bradley Terminal 3 would include “E” and “F” gates.
  • Terminal 4 would include “G” gates.
  • Terminal 5 would include “H” gates
  • Terminal 6 would include “J” gates.
  • Terminal 7 would include “K” and “L” gates.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes me appreciate that I mostly fly out of the south complex, so my terminal numbers aren't going to change, even if the gates are going to grow letters.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I was good with the terminal renumbering, and then I got to the part about renaming gates with letters. Nooooo! Khannnnn!
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I found this other undated proposal by another consultant: https://www.greshamsmith.com/project...ture-projects/

Same proposals of T1-T8 numbering and A-D APM stops, but recommending 100s for T1 gates through 800s for future T8 gates.

Seriously, there is no need to simplify APM station names. Looking at several airports such as EWR, JFK, SFO, DFW, etc. They don't simplify station names to one digit.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Kind of reminds me what they did with SFO a few years ago.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by econ
Kind of reminds me what they did with SFO a few years ago.
I'm still getting used to it! But when the Int'l terminal opened 20-some years ago with A# and G# gates, it was obvious that the master plan was to number the BCDEF. What it does accomplish is eliminating the letters after the gate numbers, because each pier was limited to 10 unique numbers - same as LAX terminals.

It will help at LAX with respect to what now shows as Terminal B on many itineraries - "... is Terminal B?" Bradley, of course, built after the current terminal number sequencing (of course, there wasn't a 1 back then )
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm still getting used to it!
I had the old numbers and their precise locations pretty much memorized. But now, I'm still occasionally pulling up a terminal map to remember exactly where a particular gate is!

I suspect same will happen at LAX after renumbering.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm still getting used to it! But when the Int'l terminal opened 20-some years ago with A# and G# gates, it was obvious that the master plan was to number the BCDEF. What it does accomplish is eliminating the letters after the gate numbers, because each pier was limited to 10 unique numbers - same as LAX terminals.

It will help at LAX with respect to what now shows as Terminal B on many itineraries - "... is Terminal B?" Bradley, of course, built after the current terminal number sequencing (of course, there wasn't a 1 back then )
As far as I am concerned, the LAX proposal would make sense only if they were to change the terminal names from numbers to letters and gate labels continued to correspond to the terminal names instead of the councourses. Except for very frequent travelers and aviation nerds, with the exception of the first few concourses, no one is going to remember in which terminals the various lettered concourses are located.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TWA884
As far as I am concerned, the LAX proposal would make sense only if they were to change the terminal names from numbers to letters and gate labels continued to correspond to the terminal names instead of the councourses. Except for very frequent travelers and aviation nerds, with the exception of the first few concourses, no one is going to remember in which terminals the various lettered concourses are located.
Don't disagree But then again, the same issue exists at SFO, ORD, and others.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Just an observation:
Why is there a gate 9 at terminal 1? Every other T1 gate number starts with a 1. Why not gate 10?
Old May 1, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I found this other undated proposal by another consultant: https://www.greshamsmith.com/project...ture-projects/

Same proposals of T1-T8 numbering and A-D APM stops, but recommending 100s for T1 gates through 800s for future T8 gates.

Seriously, there is no need to simplify APM station names. Looking at several airports such as EWR, JFK, SFO, DFW, etc. They don't simplify station names to one digit.
The current plan was further development of this plan.

I think using letter pier for gate numbers is currently in fashion so LAWA is falling victim to chasing trend. The other reason for going to pier or concourse letters is that you can de-emphasize the terminal number in the future, especially on the South complex where there is probably 50/50 chance that AA will end up with all of T5 and operate T4 and T5 as combined facility. You wouldn't want to renumber all the "500" gates to "400" again when that happens. Going with pier or concourse letters solves that problem - you can make T5 "disappear" without changing gate numbers... Gate H1 will always be the first gate on Pier or Concourse H no matter if it is part of T4 or T5.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
The other reason for going to pier or concourse letters is that you can de-emphasize the terminal number in the future, especially on the South complex where there is probably 50/50 chance that AA will end up with all of T5 and operate T4 and T5 as combined facility. You wouldn't want to renumber all the "500" gates to "400" again when that happens. Going with pier or concourse letters solves that problem - you can make T5 "disappear" without changing gate numbers... Gate H1 will always be the first gate on Pier or Concourse H no matter if it is part of T4 or T5.
Similar to what SFO did also, when the C gates magically changed from T2 to T1 even though the gates themselves didn't move at all.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.