Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

3 hours in LA [arriving at BUR, departing from LAX]

Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

On April 2nd - mainly for the purpose of adding two UA sectors for a Status upgrade - I will fly from SFO to BUR, arriving at 09:52, and fly back from LAX to SFO departing at 13:50.
I would say my maximum usable time is 3 hours, allowing for getting off the first plane and out of the terminal, and getting in to LAX T7 and on the second plane. Maybe closer to 2 hours.
Plan is to get from BUR to the Chinese Theater and see some of the Walk of Fame, before getting an Uber from there to LAX.
Feasible? Suggestions?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Totally feasible.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
April 2 is a Tuesday. Depending on traffic, at around 10:00 am, it can take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes to drive from BUR to Hollywood Blvd. At 11:00 am, it can take anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour and a half for the drive from Hollywood to LAX. If you have TSA PreCheck, clearing security at LAX can take as little as a few minutes, without PreCheck, it can take 15-20 or longer.

LA traffic is unpredictable. If traffic is light, you can comfortably make it. If it isn't, it's going to be too tight for my comfort.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks, it's the estimate of driving time which was beyond my experience or knowledge. I have previously used a taxi between LAX and Santa Monica and it seemed to take longer returning than going, with the going being late morning and the returning being late afternoon.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:30 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by John Darcy
I have previously used a taxi between LAX and Santa Monica and it seemed to take longer returning than going, with the going being late morning and the returning being late afternoon.
Fairly typical weekday traffic patterns. After about 9:45 in the morning there is a lull in traffic going north from the airport, and starting around 3:15pm in the Santa Monica / West LA area the streets can get congested. Schools get let out, then the usual rush hour messiness continues to close to 7pm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.