Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping a last leg on AA and flying with AC instead

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Skipping a last leg on AA and flying with AC instead

Hello,

Just a quick question, I am flying from SYD-LAX-YYZ on AA. If i skipped LAX-YYZ on AA and instead took a direct flight to YYZ on AC, will this cause any issues at the LAX ? I have never skipped any flights before, I am merely doing this to save upto 6 hours in transit. I have called AA but they are unable to change the flights. I wont have any bags checked.

Can anyone please advise if this will cause any issues with immigration or customs ? Also I am a Canadian if that matters.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Celticfrost
Hello,

Just a quick question, I am flying from SYD-LAX-YYZ on AA. If i skipped LAX-YYZ on AA and instead took a direct flight to YYZ on AC, will this cause any issues at the LAX ? I have never skipped any flights before, I am merely doing this to save upto 6 hours in transit. I have called AA but they are unable to change the flights. I wont have any bags checked.

Can anyone please advise if this will cause any issues with immigration or customs ? Also I am a Canadian if that matters.
LAX wouldn't know, and neither would AC. AA likely won't care if you do it once or twice, but if you don't let them know they will be calling you before the gate closes since you'll already be checked in and as far as they know, past security,, so best to let them know that you decided to get another flight to YYZ. If you do it often, they could take sanctions on your aadvantage account given all the hub bub around hidden city bookings pre-COVID. Also if this there is a return flight it will cancel all future flights on that ticket.
Celticfrost likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a quick question, I am flying from SYD-LAX-YYZ on AA. If I skipped LAX-YYZ on AA and instead took a direct flight to YYZ on AC, will this cause any issues at the LAX ? I have never skipped any flights before, I am merely doing this to save up to 6 hours in transit. I have called AA but they are unable to change the flights. I wont have any bags checked.

As you have to clear immigration & customs, with all your carry-on and checked bags, at the first port of entry to USA, then bag drop for any following flight, will not make a lot of difference. USA does not have the concept of transit. In very rare instances an airline may reprice the trip, but to me a low risk. Assume this is the last flight, based on CA in your profile.
Celticfrost likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
There should be no issues with immigration or customs. The only concern would be that if you have any additional flights on that ticket or itinerary, the remaining segments will be cancelled.

Please refer to the following thread in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum:
Celticfrost likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.