Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Accommodations for Asian Festival, Traditional Chinese Shopping and Best Chinese Food

Accommodations for Asian Festival, Traditional Chinese Shopping and Best Chinese Food

Old Jun 18, 2022, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by corky
I love that place as well as Osteria Mozza, the fancier of the two. Also a favorite in the LACMA vicinity is Republique.
That too. Melissa will plan to go up to Republique on her trips back home.

David
corky likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the commentary. Wonder if any of you have any thoughts on these 2 locations. My daughter found this location for $300 per night [plus about $600 in expenses- cleaning, taxes...": "It is walking distance to Hollywood blvd, Sunset & Vine, LA Metro, ArcLight Movie Theater, Gym, Restaurants, Bars, Shopping Stores, Grocery Stores, etc." It is a nice house, but I expect it is in a dodgy neighborhood where outsiders not familiar with LA would expect a nice area. 2. I found a place in Arcadia (nice studio but smaller than No. 1) for $123 per night on Longden ave. in between fifth Ave & Lenta lane. Not far from Mayfield village. About 10 years ago, I visited Arcadia and liked it. Don't know what it is like now.

Last edited by DaileyB; Jun 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: UA
Arcadia is nice and all, but definitely not an interesting area in my opinion. They would be reliant on car to get around as well.
corky, TWA884 and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:13 am

Since they are into Asian music, they may also be into Asian food. If you stay near Arcadia, there are lots of Asian food places. The 626 night market there opens the weekend after. That's where all the Asian kids hangs out. But if they stay at Longden Ave, they will need to have a car (or do Uber). There are some strip malls around, but not too much for tourists to do within walking distance. The other place at Hollywood would be more accessible to Metro, and it has more tourists things to do and less Asian things.

BTW, I looked up this Asian Music Festival (Head in the Clouds) and the line up and I have no idea who any of them are LOL.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Got an Airbnb in Vernon (read sordid history in wikipedia) Reviews are very good. On Google Maps noticed it is close to South Central Los Angeles. Reviewers said it was safe. Just double checking here whether Vernon is safe.

Turns out my daughter and her friend changed their mind about the Asian festival. My son will still go. As to "Head in the Clouds" have no idea who is performing either. Pretty sure my son will have a really good time. Was always skeptical whether my daughter's non-Asian friend would have enjoyed it.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DaileyB
Got an Airbnb in Vernon (read sordid history in wikipedia) Reviews are very good. On Google Maps noticed it is close to South Central Los Angeles. Reviewers said it was safe. Just double checking here whether Vernon is safe.
It's an industrial city; hardly anyone lives there.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Need
BTW, I looked up this Asian Music Festival (Head in the Clouds) and the line up and I have no idea who any of them are LOL.
I just looked up the line up and I went to high school with one of the performers??? Wild

Turns out my daughter and her friend changed their mind about the Asian festival. My son will still go. As to "Head in the Clouds" have no idea who is performing either. Pretty sure my son will have a really good time. Was always skeptical whether my daughter's non-Asian friend would have enjoyed it.
Vernon seems like not a very good place to stay; even worse than Arcadia. What are they going to do in Vernon?
corky and OskiBear like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Goodness - do not stay in Vernon. it's an industrial town with about 25 houses and generally bad area of town.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is only for a few nights? Can't they just splurge on a hotel near the festival and metro? LA is huge...you will find places all over but not suitable or fun for kids for a few days. Arcadia=zzzzzz. Vernon=trucks & factories. You don't want them to waste all of their time getting places.
And give up all hopes of seeing the rare and elusive celebrity unless they go to a TV show taping or something....and that takes a big chunk of time. Old town Pasadena is lots of bars and restaurants is very nice and they can go there in evenings after the festival.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:33 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Goodness - do not stay in Vernon. it's an industrial town with about 25 houses and generally bad area of town.
If you want to see what Vernon is like, watch the second season of "True Detective" on HBO. The Los Angeles County industrial town of "Vinci" where most of the bad things happen, is intended to be a thinly veiled pseudonym for Vernon: Vinci | True Detective Wiki | Fandom
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

I explained the situation to my daughter. She chose it and is happy with it. Appears to be close to a lot of places but in a dumpy industrial area. I can live with that and so can she. Much better this way than if, I chose a better, more expensive place -- she would find reasons to criticize it. Thanks for all of the comments. I remember being in the City of Industry -- I assume this is similar.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I remember being in the City of Industry -- I assume this is similar.
The City of Industry is very different. It's a long but narrow city next to huge amount of good Chinese and Korean food and suburban population.
corky and DaileyB like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I explained the situation to my daughter. She chose it and is happy with it. Appears to be close to a lot of places but in a dumpy industrial area. I can live with that and so can she. Much better this way than if, I chose a better, more expensive place -- she would find reasons to criticize it. Thanks for all of the comments. I remember being in the City of Industry -- I assume this is similar.
Well, if she's good with it and you're good with it, I'd say go for it. A quick look at Google Maps seems to show that there are hotels nearby in Montebello and Commerce if y'all change your mind.

David
DaileyB likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are insisting on Vernon?? I wouldnt feel safe as there are no people around.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by corky
They are insisting on Vernon?? I wouldnt feel safe as there are no people around.
The pictures of the place are probably really nice. I remember when my cousin came to visit, she booked one in Long Beach. The picture of the apartment looks amazing and true to life. However, they don't show you what the neighborhood is like. They have pictures of the Long Beach tourist areas but not the actual place. When I drove her there from the airport, the area does not look good. It was in a not too good part of Long Beach. Every house got security bars on windows. I don't think it is unsafe, but you certainly don't want to walk around the neighborhood as a tourist. It is not a big deal if you have a car. You pretty much just use the place to sleep.

It will probably be similar with Vernon. You just drive out and back every time. It actually maybe better when you have 16 years old teenagers there. They can't just decided to take a walk outside the neighborhood in the middle of the night when you are sleeping. They could do that if they stay near Hollywood!
DaileyB likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.