Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Hotel to Stay for a Football Game at the Pasadena Rose Bowl [and "must see" places]

Hotel to Stay for a Football Game at the Pasadena Rose Bowl [and "must see" places]

Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador

Hey everyone, I'm looking at planning a trip to LA over Labor Day weekend for the LSU/UCLA game at the Rose Bowl. It would also be the first trip since my GF and I got engaged so I'd like to stay in a nice hotel/area. Would primarily use Uber to get around.

Thoughts, ideas and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
The Langham Pasadena is quite a nice hotel with really nice grounds. The area is residential, but it is relatively close to a whole bunch of restaurants.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Trustguy
The Langham Pasadena is quite a nice hotel with really nice grounds. The area is residential, but it is relatively close to a whole bunch of restaurants.
+1

Visit California - The Langham Huntington, Pasadena
The splendor of a bygone era comes alive in Pasadena.
Trustguy and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Trustguy
Thanks for the reccomendation, I'll check that one out! Some friends are staying at the Loews Hollywood and the Alumni Association is staying at the JW at LA Live.

EDIT: Looks like that hotel is sold out for the dates in question.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Jul 28, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
I've had several good stays at the Westin Pasadena and the Courtyard by Marriott.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The Langham is, by far, the nicest hotel in Pasadena. The Westin is ok, but the rooms are on the small side. The Sheraton and Hilton aren't much to get excited about, IMO.

The Hyatt Place in the Paseo is new and quite nice and the Old Town area has many food and beverage options within walking distance.

Adjacent to Pasadena is a new Le Meridian by the Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia; it's a few exits on the 210 to the Rose Bowl.
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 28, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
It would also be the first trip since my GF and I got engaged so I'd like to stay in a nice hotel/area. Would primarily use Uber to get around.
Thanks for the reccomendation, I'll check that one out! Some friends are staying at the Loews Hollywood and the Alumni Association is staying at the JW at LA Live.
It's been some time since I stayed at the Loews Hollywood Hotel. While I can't comment on the current condition of the hotel, I'm guessing it still qualifies as a nice hotel. As long as you're not on a low floor, the views are well above-average.

That said, I doubt anyone objective would ever refer to Hollywood Blvd as a nice area.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
That said, I doubt anyone objective would ever refer to Hollywood Blvd as a nice area.
Hollywood and Highland does at least have a lot of stuff going on.

Visitors always want to go to Hollywood and Vine and I always tell them it's kind of dumpy and they don't believe it and go anyway, and then always agree.

Staying near Old Pas isn't a bad idea because there's a lot going on, you can walk to/from the Rose Bowl, and can take the metro to a lot of other places. Staying not in Old Pas I'd recommend staying near a Metro station to make it easier to get to the Rose Bowl without having to park a car.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
How about hotels in Glendale/Burbank?

David
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Hollywood and Highland does at least have a lot of stuff going on.

Visitors always want to go to Hollywood and Vine and I always tell them it's kind of dumpy and they don't believe it and go anyway, and then always agree.

Staying near Old Pas isn't a bad idea because there's a lot going on, you can walk to/from the Rose Bowl, and can take the metro to a lot of other places. Staying not in Old Pas I'd recommend staying near a Metro station to make it easier to get to the Rose Bowl without having to park a car.
I'd like to have the option to walk/take the metro as I have no intentions of being able to drive a vehicle that day. It is an LSU game after all.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The Langham is, by far, the nicest hotel in Pasadena. The Westin is ok, but the rooms are on the small side. The Sheraton and Hilton aren't much to get excited about, IMO.

The Hyatt Place in the Paseo is new and quite nice and the Old Town area has many food and beverage options within walking distance.

Adjacent to Pasadena is a new Le Meridian by the Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia; it's a few exits on the 210 to the Rose Bowl.
I agree. The Langham (nee Huntington Sheraton) hotel is the best in the area. Grew up a few blocks from it and it's always been a silent beauty. The restaurants on the property are excellent. Fun facts: 1960s #1 rock-n-roll radio station, KRLA, had its studios in the Langham. Some wealthy widows lived in individual houses on its property....don't know it these bungalows even exist anymore. The OJ Simpson jury was sequestered in the Langham.
Note that there are no restaurants within walking distance, other than those at the hotel.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Staying not in Old Pas I'd recommend staying near a Metro station to make it easier to get to the Rose Bowl without having to park a car.
I've enjoyed my Rose Bowl experiences (Go Badgers!), but trying to get out of the massive parking lot after the game was an unpleasant aftermath. I was able to catch my flight from BUR, but not by much.

I highly recommend not driving within a mile of the Rose Bowl on game day, if at all possible. Walk in and out.
TWA884 and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW: https://www.visitpasadena.com/places-to-stay/

David
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Ended up booking at the Loews Hollywood as some of my friends are going to be there as well. Flying in and out of LAX on DL. Arriving early Friday AM and leaving early afternoon on Sunday. Considering getting a rental car to get around on Friday.

No set agenda on Friday, any places that are must sees?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ended up booking at the Loews Hollywood as some of my friends are going to be there as well. Flying in and out of LAX on DL. Arriving early Friday AM and leaving early afternoon on Sunday. Considering getting a rental car to get around on Friday.

No set agenda on Friday, any places that are must sees?
The Page Museum and La Brea Tar Pits are one of my favorite places to take people. The museum is small and you can see the whole thing in an hour or two, depending on if you sit through the movies and how much you like looking at bones. It's in the middle of Hancock Park, so you can get a little outdoor walking time checking out the tar pits and the lake with the captive mastodons. LACMA is right next door if you want to do a couple museums in a day.

Closer to Pasadena (but far from where you're staying) are also Huntington Gardens just south of Pasadena, and the LA Arboretum a few miles further east.

Closer to Hollywood, if you want something outdoors and very LA, is Runyon Canyon.
ajGoes and wakesetter93 like this.

Last edited by chrisl137; Aug 6, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.