Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Hotel to Stay for a Football Game at the Pasadena Rose Bowl [and "must see" places]

Hotel to Stay for a Football Game at the Pasadena Rose Bowl [and "must see" places]

Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
No set agenda on Friday, any places that are must sees?
Lots of suggestions in these threads:
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
What do you like to do? How much traffic are you willing to fight?

David
DJ_Iceman and cwerdna like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:58 am

Ended up booking at the Loews Hollywood as some of my friends are going to be there as well. Flying in and out of LAX on DL. Arriving early Friday AM and leaving early afternoon on Sunday. Considering getting a rental car to get around on Friday.

I take a lot of friends and relatives coming to LA from other countries or out of town around, and there is only one "must see" on everyone's list. It is Hollywood hall of frame walk and the Hollywood sign. Fortunately your hotel is right there. Nothing else in LA is really must see, just what you want to see. I like to take them to Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive since it is close to Hollywood anyway. The other more common tourists traps, I mean places to see, are Santa Monica pier and Griffith Observatory. All those places will be very recognizable when people post the pictures on social media.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another thing I've done with a lot of people is a day trip to Joshua Tree. It's best if you can do overnight or a few days, but when I take people who can't really hike anyway it works ok as a day trip with just getting out to stretch legs at scenic points.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Need
I take a lot of friends and relatives coming to LA from other countries or out of town around, and there is only one "must see" on everyone's list. It is Hollywood hall of frame walk and the Hollywood sign. Fortunately your hotel is right there. Nothing else in LA is really must see, just what you want to see. I like to take them to Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive since it is close to Hollywood anyway. The other more common tourists traps, I mean places to see, are Santa Monica pier and Griffith Observatory. All those places will be very recognizable when people post the pictures on social media.
Thanks Need, all of Saturday is going to be devoted to tailgating/football so Friday could be a good day to swing by the beach and then hit the BH/Hollywood tourist traps quickly.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB lifetime Gold, BW Diam Sel
The Griffith Observatory happens to have an excellent view of the Hollywood sign.

I have no idea if you are interested in art, but the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena is a gem.
ajGoes and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
The Griffith Observatory happens to have an excellent view of the Hollywood sign.

I have no idea if you are interested in art, but the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena is a gem.
Thanks Kathy! Unfortunately I think our only time in Pasadena this trip will be centered around football, but I'll keep that in mind!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:08 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
...so Friday could be a good day to swing by the beach and then hit the BH/Hollywood tourist traps quickly.
You will end up spending more time in traffic than sightseeing.
cwerdna and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
You will end up spending more time in traffic than sightseeing.
Isn't that the quintessential LA visit?
dlaue and cwerdna like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I went to a UCLA/ASU football game at the Rose Bowl in 2017. I stayed at the Westin Pasedena which I found to be really overpriced for what it was, especially with how small the room was for two people. That said, it was right next to Alexander's Steakhouse where I had an incredible meal and such amazing drinks I came back again for drinks the second night.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hey everyone, I'm looking at planning a trip to LA over Labor Day weekend for the LSU/UCLA game at the Rose Bowl. It would also be the first trip since my GF and I got engaged so I'd like to stay in a nice hotel/area. Would primarily use Uber to get around.

Thoughts, ideas and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
So now that all is said and done. how did your trip go?

David
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
So now that all is said and done. how did your trip go?

David
The trip went great (other than the actual game). You can read about it here!
DELee and chrisl137 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The trip went great (other than the actual game). You can read about it here!
I know how you feel. When I went to the Rose Bowl in 2017 I flew across the country to watch my Arizona State Sun Devils get killed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.