Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Mandatory quarantine for LA County arrivals

Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:33 am
Original Poster

The county issued a required 10 day quarantine for everyone who arrived from outside the county. This is mainly interesting as the language clearly states must, as opposed to any earlier recommended quarantines.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I can tell there's no tracking or enforcement mechanism, but there might be penalties if you're traced to a spread of covid while you're supposed to be in quarantine. There are a lot of people who live in neighboring counties and work in LA, and vice versa, and are still having to work - I doubt they'll be restricted. They've also not made it easy to find the details of the order from the front page of the county or public health web site - it was popping up on Facebook around when the press release came out, but there was nothing obvious on the web pages when you go to look for more information.

This is about preventing spread from anybody who picks it up out of town during the holidays at a time when the hospital system is maxed out..
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not aware of any meaningful implementation or enforcement.

Numerous kids who train together with mine were gone around Xmas and now back practicing. Based on parents Facebook pages many are currently out of state and plan to be back in school next week.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 4, 2021 at 1:06 pm Reason: Removed content that is off-topic for this forum and thread
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
L.A. County’s new mandatory quarantine order for travelers is now official. Here’s how it works
Who it affects: Anyone traveling for leisure or recreation, or to visit a family member for a nonessential reason, who enters L.A. County from anywhere outside the Southern California region, which is defined as the counties of Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura.

What they need to do: Quarantine themselves for 10 days. That means they need to stay at home or find other lodging and avoid contact with others, meaning they should not go out to grocery stores or restaurants but instead have food delivered to them.

Who is exempted: Licensed healthcare professionals, those working for essential government or infrastructure reasons, people transiting through L.A. County and not staying overnight, people who are members of professional or collegiate sports teams and personnel of a film or media production operating within the county, among others.

Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It's good to have exemptions.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note

This is an informational forum and thread!

Please limit your posts here to factual discussion the implementation and enforcement of the quarantine.

If you wish to debate the wisdom or effectiveness of quarantines and mask mandates or argue about how COVID-19 spreads, please do so in OMNI/PR (access to the OMNI forums in restricted to members who have been registered for 180 days and posted 180 messages).

Any messages that deviate from this directive will be summarily deleted.

Thank you for understanding and your anticipated cooperation,

TWA884
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
So folks who work in LA County but live in adjacent counties and are not "essential" must quarantine?

David
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
So folks who work in LA County but live in adjacent counties and are not "essential" must quarantine?

David
According to the post above, it does not affect people who travel to work in LA county. It also does not affect people who live in other counties of SoCal who travel to LA county to visit friends/relatives or go to a party...

Who it affects:
Anyone traveling for leisure or recreation, or to visit a family member for a nonessential reason, who enters L.A. County from anywhere outside the Southern California region, which is defined as the counties of Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
According to the post above, it does not affect people who travel to work in LA county. It also does not affect people who live in other counties of SoCal who travel to LA county to visit friends/relatives or go to a party..

Why not be explicitly clear about that in the directive/notice?

David
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Why not be explicitly clear about that in the directive/notice?

David
It's pretty clear.

This order does not affect people entering Los Angeles County from the Southern California region. The region includes Imperial, Inyo, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

Here is a link to a PDF of the directive.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
It's pretty clear.

This order does not affect people entering Los Angeles County from the Southern California region. The region includes Imperial, Inyo, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

Here is a link to a PDF of the directive.
I read the PDF from your initial post and interpreted to mean that there were no exceptions for work (as defined in list 3a. through 3k.) as well as the specific quarantine requirements (2a. Except as otherwise provided in this Directive, all persons traveling into Los Angeles County, whether by air, car, train, or any other means, directly or indirectly from a point of origin outside the Southern California Region, defined as the counties of Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura, must quarantine for at least 10 days after arrival.) did not pick up how the directive was defining the region (i.e. Southern California Region) instead of only Los Angeles County.

Ah well.

David
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Could I fly into LAX and drive to Palm Springs (Riverside County)? They have no quarantine...
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyztozag
Could I fly into LAX and drive to Palm Springs (Riverside County)? They have no quarantine...
nobody has any quarantine in california (or afaik any restrictions anywhere in us 49) - you can do anything you want
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by azepine00
nobody has any quarantine in california (or afaik any restrictions anywhere in us 49) - you can do anything you want
Travel Advisory and Guidance - LA County Department of Public Health

Yes, I hear it's not enforced or even really punishable, and the LAX quarantine form is a joke, but I don't want to break any rules, regardless of their enforcement.
LETTERBOY and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyztozag
Travel Advisory and Guidance - LA County Department of Public Health

Yes, I hear it's not enforced or even really punishable, and the LAX quarantine form is a joke, but I don't want to break any rules, regardless of their enforcement.
It's really just an acknowledgement that you've read the guidance on covid for LA and CA. It's pretty trivial to fill out, and there's nothing about time frame within which you're supposed to fill it out before or after arrival. I suspect it will disappear some time around April 15 or some time after when someone realizes it's still up and vaccine availability outstrips demand for a week or two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.