Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Terminal 2-3 Shuttle Bus

Old Aug 31, 20, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if I was just bleary eyed after a redeye this morning but the shuttle bus between LAX 2-3 terminals drives right through luggage cart "trains", construction vehicles, maintenance vehicles and even planes!! Yes, this morning while rolling between terminals my bus did a quick "pull over" to get out of the way of a taxi-ing jet!! There are lines all over the ground... none of which the bus drives within (I'm not even sure what the lines are for?).

I've never seen anything like this.... I felt like I was in a scene from a movie. I expected to see Bruce Willis hanging from a plane with a machine gun. Has anyone else noticed this? I just can't believe this hasn't resulted in some kind of accident.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:19 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I had a summer job at LAX many years ago and had full access to drive registered vehicles along all of the taxiways and certain ramps. There's training involved (don't drive on taxiways and runways unless you have authorization and are in radio contact with ATC, yield to taxiing aircraft or those under tow, don't speed, etc.) and the LAX Police do issue citations for unsafe driving/speeding inside the airport perimeter. One of my most surreal experiences was playing chicken with a Beech Barron that got lost and ended up turning onto a roadway instead of a taxiway between the North and South complexes outside of the TBIT.
mtofell likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 2, 20 at 7:58 am
Old Sep 10, 20, 9:47 am

LAWA bus ops tends to operate with relative impunity, so they do like to cut corners and not always follow the rigid guidelines required for driving on the airfield. That said, they are in constant radio contact with ATC, so they are granted a certain degree of leeway. To be honest, it has probably just been a long time since they had a serious incident, so they are getting careless. IIRC, the speed limit in the gate area is 10 mph, with 20-30 mph on the surrounding roads.

Back when I used to drive around the tarmac on a regular basis, I can attest to the fact that you do tend to go from ultra paranoid to carefree and complacent as you become accustomed to the controlled chaos. There is training and licensing involved in driving on the airfield, but it is not terribly difficult to gain and maintain. The scariest part of driving around LAX is when the early morning marine layer reduces visibility to a few feet. You can hear the planes well before you see them, which can be quite harrowing when you are cutting across a taxiway. I did have one close call with a cargo jet, but that is all part of the fun!
ajGoes and ryw like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: