Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Fake passengers wanted: LAX needs 500 people to test out new airport terminal

Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

In the Los Angeles Times:

Feel like going to LAX and acting like an out-of-control passenger or a parent with kids in meltdown mode? Here’s your chance. Los Angeles International Airport is looking for 500 people to come to its newest concourse and behave badly, or sickly, or feebly. It’s all part of a readiness drill to make sure the upcoming Midfield Satellite Concourse will be safe and passenger-ready when it opens this summer.

It’s also the first time the airport will be performing what’s called a full Operation Readiness and Transition trial. People who volunteer will be asked to do what fliers do every day at LAX: Catch a flight. Sounds easy, right? Except you’ll be heading to a satellite terminal with 12 new gates that have never been used — and you may be part of planned obstacles along the way.

Anyone who signs up will have a chance to be first to set foot inside the new concourse, kind of like being the first car to drive on the 405 Freeway or the first Expo Line passenger. You start by filling out the MSC Trials Volunteer Survey, which asks for a bunch of information, including your driver’s license and U.S. passport numbers.

People selected for the test will be emailed scenarios the day before they are due to appear. On the day of their assignment, fake passengers will meet at an assembly point, put on a distinctive uniform (think something in unflattering orange, so they can be easily identified) and then mix in with other passengers to play their given role. Volunteers can expect to be on-site for about half a day, and will be provided with beverages and a meal.

LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I signed up last night - hoping I get picked!
I did do a tour of TBIT a few years back when it was opening - forgot how I signed up for that, but it was loads of fun.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:01 pm

I wonder if you can act up, like saying "I HAVE A BOMB!". Probably not.
How about a fake heart attack?
marjiep likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
This popped up in my Facebook feed last night. Read the first line and signed up immediately (though I did pause for a second when they asked for driver’s license and passport number in SurveyMonkey). But finished the questions and then told my two sons I found the job they were born for!
marjiep likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by A318neo
I wonder if you can act up, like saying "I HAVE A BOMB!". Probably not.
How about a fake heart attack?
It says they will give you the scenarios. But my guess is the community here has better ones from real experience.

For example my 9 year old got very sick towards the end of our LAX-HKG flight in December (some sort of vestibular issue that took a couple weeks to resolve). He walked off the flight, but then refused to walk once we reached the main hallway and then vomited . Whole flight walked past us and left for immigration - and we were just standing at the bridge/terminal door with our 9 year old sitting on the ground and our 3 year old in a stroller but making lots of noise asking why we were not going — with just a single trailing airport/airline official left in the area. it was great!

They had to scramble to get a wheelchair there since it was unplanned - took about 15 minutes - and I am sure we held up securing part of the airport and various folks’ schedules. Staff at HKG was great - a supervisor came back immediately when called and kept us updated, and once he was in the wheelchair had lots of folks assisting. Definitely a great scenario to test dealing with an unplanned medical issue/assistance need.
marjiep likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
I know the survey is closed, but did anyone capture it is some form? Am curious about what questions were asked.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmd001
I know the survey is closed, but did anyone capture it is some form? Am curious about what questions were asked.
Didn't save it, however, it was mostly demographics and travel patterns/frequency.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:15 am

YES, or other passengers pushing you onto the baggage carousel. OR other passengers wearing backpacks turning around and hitting you broadside because they are not 'aware' of the backpack as they turn. Oh my, then there's the drunk who came down the baggage claim trolley. Or the passenger that is nervous so flips a deck of cards loudly the entire flight from LAX to Lihue and worse the FA that says 'he has the right to do anything he wants,, this is a public place'.... FORGET being the passenger, I want to write the scripts. Hmmm... might this be a new tv series?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:27 am
Suspended

What, I didn't get chosen for this?
Don't they know who I am?
randkinca likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Update.

Received the following email from LAWA:

As you are a valued stakeholder, LAWA wanted to take a moment to provide you with an update on the status of the Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) Trials.

COVID-19 has had an unprecedented and devastating impact on the aviation industry. At LAX, we have seen a reduction of over 90% in our passenger traffic compared to the same period last year. In order to practice social distancing and keep everyone as safe as possible, our plans for conducting the MSC facility trials are currently on hold until further notice. As our plans for opening this amazing new facility change, we will communicate them.

Again, Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) would like to thank you for interest in participating in the Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) facility trials. Be safe and take care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.