2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yes I have GE and the PP is from CSR.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You have 3:15 between flights. Not to be blunt but you will not be needing a lounge to kill time. I generally tell people you need 3 hours to self-connect from int'l flights to Southwest with checked luggage and this is a very good example.

GE will get you thru immigration in about 10-15 min but you have checked luggage which means you will probably have to wait anywhere between 30 min to 1 hour for it to come out (with GE, for sure you will be waiting for your luggage not the other way around). Custom should be easy if you have nothing to declare so let's call it 5 min to walk to the exit, but you can't recheck luggage so you must lug it to T1 with you. For this particular connection, you can forget about taking the terminal bus. It will take much longer than walking, which is about a 15 min walk if you are an able body adult.

So if you have been doing the math, You are anywhere between 1 to 1.5 hours in at this point. Your check in with Southwest can take a while because you have checked luggage so you must get in line at T1, let say the line is only 20 people deep and you get thru in 30 min. Now you go to TSA and Precheck is open and you breeze thru. If you are lucky, you have managed to arrive at the gate in 1:40 (this probably happens once in a blue moon). On average, you will make it to the gate at T1 between 2:00 and 2:30, which gives you some time to grab a bite to eat if you want. If you are unlucky, for example the pre-check line is closed at T1 during midday hours (it happens when they are short staffed), you will barely make it to final boarding call.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Krisflyer EG, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi all, first time poster long time lurker.

Would appreciate some advice. I'll be arriving on SQ12 at 11.30am in Jan and looking to connect on UA to IAH on a separate ticket. Currently leaning towards the 3.18pm departure. Wondering if that is enough buffer time for the connection and a shower at the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT? I will have one checked luggage. If SQ is able to tag the bag through to IAH, will I be able to recheck the bag with United after clearing customs?

I will be flying PEY on SQ12, am SQ*G and have GE and Precheck.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:51 pm

Plenty of time for this connection.

If SQ check the bag thru, you can drop it off at re-check right outside TBIT custom. If the bags are not checked-thru, you can still try to get the people working at re-check to tag it to IAH, especially if you have already checked in for your flight. It's worth a try.

You can re-enter TBIT and *G should get you back in the Star lounge.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:52 am

Researching flights to/from Japan, flying domestic to LAX, then seperate ticket to Japan. Was initially planning to spend night in LA, but found

AA flight HSV - LAX 609 am - 1222 LAX with 1:15 in Charlotte, then a 1705 ANA flight to Haneda. Seperate tickets.

Is that safe to book that type connection? September timeframe, so thunderstorms in southeast still possible.

We may also be traveling with gate checked ECV/Electric Wheelchair, OR using airport assistance. One checked bag each. No GE, only TSA Pre-check for one passenger (although I've often found on domestic flights, that they put both of us in TSA Pre-Check when we book together) Also extra time at security due to hand wanding for multiple medical implants.

Also, IF this is doable, what can we expect at LAX.

On the return, the ANA lands at LAX at 1730, then found the American flight that departs LAX at 0120.

Last edited by Carol Kelley; Dec 15, 2019 at 8:57 am
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Carol Kelley
Researching flights to/from Japan, flying domestic to LAX, then seperate ticket to Japan. Was initially planning to spend night in LA, but found

AA flight HSV - LAX 609 am - 1222 LAX with 1:15 in Charlotte, then a 1705 ANA flight to Haneda. Seperate tickets.

Is that safe to book that type connection? September timeframe, so thunderstorms in southeast still possible.

We may also be traveling with gate checked ECV/Electric Wheelchair, OR using airport assistance. One checked bag each. No GE, only TSA Pre-check for one passenger (although I've often found on domestic flights, that they put both of us in TSA Pre-Check when we book together) Also extra time at security due to hand wanding for multiple medical implants.

Also, IF this is doable, what can we expect at LAX.

On the return, the ANA lands at LAX at 1730, then found the American flight that departs LAX at 0120.
Would be safer if you booked all the way through on AA, even on separate tickets, because they protect against missed flights. Also you could then check your bags through to TYO avoiding having to grab your bags at LAX and rechecking them to another airline. Of course if you did this on one ticket, with perhaps JL, not AA, you wouldn't have any issues either. On the way back, you'll need to grab you bags for customs and recheck them regardless of who you fly.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:15 pm

Since you have checked luggage and mentioned medical issues that would trigger secondary screening at TSA, I would highly recommend booking this as a single itinerary so you don't need to exit secured area to reclaim the checked luggage at LAX on outbound direction.

But otherwise, there is plenty of time both directions for transit.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:10 pm

T6 and T7 connections

I normally fly SFO but since they don't do non stop to ZIH I'm trying to fly from a smaller airport closer to home. It is my first time connecting through LAX so I'm debating if my connecting time would be sufficient.

I am flying on two separate tickets with UA SCK-LAX on one leg arriving T7 at 7:33AM and AS LAX-ZIH on the other leg departing T6 at 9:20AM. The return trip is also separate tickets with AS ZIH-LAX one one leg arriving at T6 at 6:15PM and UA LAX-SCK leaving T7 at 8:40PM on the other leg.

My first dilemma is would United or Alaska check luggage all the way through from SCK to ZIH or from ZIH to SCK. United sells this combined UA/AS ticket but I don't know how strict they are regarding luggage on two separate tickets.

My second dilemma would occur if United or Alaska will not check baggage all the way through on separate tickets. If I ended up having to pick up luggage and recheck it at LAX, would the above layover times (1:47 departure and 2:25 return) be enough to do this? I'm under the assumption T6 has its own customs and immigration and I wouldn't have to deal with TBIT even though the return AS flight is an international flight. The only caveat to that is LAX website says any AS flights arriving after 7PM would go through TBIT instead of T6 so if the international flight was late I may have to go through TBIT. I have a US passport, TSA precheck, and GE and have no problem walking as much as needed if it's faster.

Last edited by xchpstang; Dec 25, 2019 at 3:16 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:23 pm

The answer for the first part is easy... neither airline will thru-check luggage on separate tickets. Just remember this in the future when you are booking a trip like this... either you pack light or you suck it up and book it on one ticket and pay a little extra.

On outbound, I think you have a potential issue but I think you will make it. Self-connect with two different tickets is always tricky and this one involves international flight with earlier luggage cutoff time (1 hour instead of normal 40 min for AS domestic). You have to hope that your incoming SCK-LAX flight is on time and your checked luggage make it to the belt at T7 in about 30 minutes from scheduled arrival time. SCK-LAX is operated by Skywest which usually use T8 gates ("T8" is a misnomer since it is actually not a terminal but a concourse for T7). It's a bit of a hike to get from the far end of T8 concourse to the luggage claim at T7 and then over to T6 for check in. That's normally a 15 minutes walk and you have to factor in wait time for luggage to come out. Since this is early morning flight, I like your chances but just know that anything that delays a bit will put you behind luggage cutoff with AS.

On the return flight, you should be fine. 2.5 hours is plenty to go from T6 int'l arrival to T7 domestic. T6 and T7 share the same immigration and custom facilities located in T7 so once you clear custom, you can just head upstairs to UA to check in. Looking at the flight history for AS291, it has arrived after 7pm only twice in the last 90 days - once it gated at T6 (but probably bus to TBIT) and once it gated at 410 which is remote pad. In another word, it's generally on time arriving between 5:30 and 6 pm most days. If you land on time at T6, there is almost no reason you could miss your next flight 2.5 hours later from T7 departure.

If for some reason, you arrive after 7 pm, your flight will still most likely gate at T6 (or the remote pad), and you will take a bus to TBIT to clear immigration and custom. This process will add at least 30 minutes to your connection time. So basically, if you arrive after 7 pm, you are going to miss your flight to SCK. It's almost impossible to clear TBIT custom in less than 30 minutes with checked luggage due to wait time for luggage to come out. GE will expedite immigration and custom exit but it won't speed up the luggage making to the belt. And then you have to walk or take a land side bus from TBIT to T7... I don't like the odds of doing all this in about 1 hour.

Last edited by bzcat; Dec 26, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:37 pm

I guess I'm not checking any luggage then. Thank you so much for this information bzcat
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:21 pm

If you don't check luggage, you will make both connections with time to spare, assuming incoming flights are on time.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:46 pm

I'm just wondering about options for spending a very extended connection (almost 20 hours) at LAX airport. Of course venturing out is also possible, but I may be too tired, we'll see.

Arriving international on Qatar, I am a platinum member, but since the onward connection on American Airlines is domestic US, does that give lounge access? I'm not sure that it does.

So I don't know if staying in a departure lounge is possible (or desirable), if there is a transit hotel, or if venturing outside the airport is required for a non-Abu Ghraib style experience.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by rberk
So I don't know if staying in a departure lounge is possible (or desirable), if there is a transit hotel...
No departure lounge is open overnight at LAX. The Admirals Club hours are 4 am - 12:45 am. There is no transit hotel.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
No departure lounge is open overnight at LAX. The Admirals Club hours are 4 am - 12:45 am. There is no transit hotel.
OK, many thanks. This is sounding like the opposite of fun

But, I worked a little harder, and found a fare that, while more expensive, comes at a very low hourly wage, in terms of $$$ paid per hours saved So I think I will go through Dallas instead.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:00 pm

Apologies if asked and answered, I can't figure out how to search the thread on mobile.

If you have a valid WN boarding pass flying out of T1, will WN let you on the airside bus from TBIT? If so, does anyone know what gate it leaves from (I assume next to whatever gate WN uses in that terminal).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.