FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Camarillo/Ventura in January (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1995946-camarillo-ventura-january.html)

Mats Nov 18, 2019 7:03 am

Camarillo/Ventura in January

Hello everyone.
I have to go to Camarillo, California for a wedding in January. It will probably be just a one-night stay (Saturday).

Where to Stay
Reviews here and elsewhere on the internet are bleak.
There are a variety of Courtyard, Garden Inn, etc. options. In addition, there is the Marriott and a Four Points in Ventura.
Nothing looks particularly tempting.

I have low-level status with all of the chains (Silver or equivalent). And I was planning to pay with dollars rather than points since the hotels are quite inexpensive.

Getting There
I'm guessing that Burbank will be an easier airport in this case. I can fly there and rent a car. It seems like less hassle than LAX. But I've never been there.
The fares are the same. (Southwest or AAmerican).

I'll have my dog with me, but I always travel with him. So that shouldn't change anything.

I sincerely appreciate your suggestions.

TWA884 Nov 18, 2019 9:20 am

Have you considered the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort? I haven't stayed there in years - was there for a convention - but it has a great location on the beach in Oxnard, right between Camarillo and Ventura.

As far as BUR, it is a small airport with an old and outdated terminal, but it very easy to access, has a Metrolink and Amtrak station on the line going to Camarillo, Oxnard and Ventura, convenient to the San Fernando and Conejo Valleys and points west and you get to avoid the 405; well, you can take PCH from LAX to Camarillo.

Mats Nov 19, 2019 1:25 pm

The Embassy Suites requires a minimum two-night stay, and I'll probably only be there for one night. But I'm grateful for the recommendation @TWA884. Maybe I'll turn it into a two-night adventure.

Eastbay1K Nov 20, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Mats (Post 31755132)
The Embassy Suites requires a minimum two-night stay, and I'll probably only be there for one night. But I'm grateful for the recommendation @TWA884. Maybe I'll turn it into a two-night adventure.

For someone who grew up in Southern California a long time ago, one would never want to hear "I'm going to Camarillo for a two-night adventure." :o

FlyinHawaiian Nov 20, 2019 11:17 am

Don't forget to check out the airfares to SBA as an alternative to BUR.

I've stayed at the Marriott in Ventura and it was unremarkable. We stayed at the Residence Inn in Oxnard (built on top of a landfill that's now a golf course) a few years ago and it was perfectly fine.

DELee Nov 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mats (Post 31755132)

One quick note about the ES Mandalay Bay - check the resort fee.

David

Need Nov 21, 2019 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31757856)
For someone who grew up in Southern California a long time ago, one would never want to hear "I'm going to Camarillo for a two-night adventure." :o

LOL probably more like "I'm going to Camarillo for a 2 hours shopping spree at the outlet." But seriously I have stayed at the Embassy Suite at Oxnard for 2 nights. From there, it is a short day trip up to Santa Barbara. Also that Embassy Suite is the only Hilton property ON the beach in SoCal. All the other ones, like Hilton Huntington Beach, Doubletree Santa Barbara, etc..., are across the road from the beach. But beware of $32/day parking fee... and resort fee. I didn't have to pay resort fee because I was staying on points but with cash you have to I think. Also there is a $75 pet deposit.

For OP, I think if you are not planning to visit LA or Santa Barbara, just rent a room anywhere in Camarillo close to the reception.

bzcat Nov 22, 2019 11:58 pm

If OP is renting a car, expand the hotel search to include Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks area. It’s a short drive to Camarillo but there are a few more hotel options including a Four Seasons! Treat yourself... makes up for having to spend any extended time in Camarillo by staying at a Four Seasons.

KathyWdrf Nov 27, 2019 1:40 am

Not to spoil an inside joke, but Camarillo used to be known for... the state (mental) hospital there. :eek:

But it closed in the 1990s and is now the site of California State University Channel Islands.

chillymac Dec 21, 2019 4:55 pm

I commute to Thousand Oaks area once a month and have stayed in quite a few hotels in the area. Much of what I have to offer has been covered by others.

LAX is a pain depending upon when you arrive, if you arrive at 6AM and jump in a rideshare and get the heck out of dodge you will probably beat traffic and it will take about 40 min to get to Camarillo area. If you are an hour later it can take 2 hours to get there. If you are renting a car plan on about 1 hour to get it and get out. Rideshare is about 70$ from LAX. You live by traffic patterns in LA

Burbank is easier and rideshare is a bit cheaper than LAX $60, traffic much easier to deal with. I choose BUR often but almost always LAX is cheaper to fly into.

SBA is my favorite airport but flight options are limited rideshare about $70

Hotels...I like the BW Thousand Oaks inn. Its reasonable and everything you could want is within walking distance, Noahs bagels is my go to in the morning. Ask for a quiet room on back of hotel. I have stayed at 4 seasons also in Westlake. It is a very nice hotel but expensive and nothing really within walking distance.

Everything in Camarillo is pretty much the same type of hotel right off the 101. They are good for a crash pad but nothing to really be excited about. It might be worth looking for an Air BNB in Oxnard Shores. Ventura / Oxnard / Camarillo can have fog into the afternoon in January. The fog usually stays out of Thousand Oaks.

Make a trip to SB and Ojai when you are there. Take the Backroads and have lunch / dinner at Boccalis restaurant. Its a nice day trip.

Cheers

Have fun