LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
So is this "expansion" eating into more of the Park One lot again?
Probably - I'll post next week when I try unless someone beats me to it. It might also show in a few days on google maps - they correctly show the LAXit internal roads already but don't have satellite imagery up yet.

ETA: I just took a look at Google maps, and unless they're faster than I realized, it looks like LAXit already took and set up the area that they're going to add, but they just hadn't allocated it yet. There's a smaller sized "switchyard" of roads just east of the road where the buses let people off. I'd guess that it's that and it will be taxis and ubers to the west of the bus stop, Lyft to the east. The area to the east looks like its outlet will be back onto little Century instead of 96th, so drivers would have to then go north on Sky Way to exit (or go through the U). Adding a second exit might be as significant as adding the switchyard volume.

Last edited by chrisl137; Nov 4, 2019 at 11:55 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:19 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If you drive to LAX and you liked to use the one-lane extension of Century Blvd west of Sepulveda, change your route. It's completely jammed with Uber and Lyft cars.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nsx
If you drive to LAX and you liked to use the one-lane extension of Century Blvd west of Sepulveda, change your route. It's completely jammed with Uber and Lyft cars.
With this and the consumption of its lot, Park One is probably gonna be kaput sooner rather than later (speaking as a Park One customer who has been really badly impacted by all of this).

David
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:15 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
With this and the consumption of its lot, Park One is probably gonna be kaput sooner rather than later (speaking as a Park One customer who has been really badly impacted by all of this).
Quoted for truth. I forgot to clarify that by "jammed" I meant virtually stopped, moving at 1 mph average speed. That section of road is now essentially impassible. For the first time I can recall, the multi-lane entry ramps are faster than this former bypass into LAX.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Quoted for truth. I forgot to clarify that by "jammed" I meant virtually stopped, moving at 1 mph average speed. That section of road is now essentially impassible. For the first time I can recall, the multi-lane entry ramps are faster than this former bypass into LAX.
Understood. Last Monday, before the "official" cutover, that section of road was jammed and all I was trying to do was go from the light at westbound Little Century and Sepulveda to the Park One gate - probably 300 feet or so.

Y'all at LAX who didn't think what happens when you move multi-thousands of Uber/Lyft/taxi car trips outta the inner loop onto the roads that ring Lot A - not smart. Oh, and y'all who "warned" us about utilities digging up of roadways around LAX preparing for the great expansion - yeah, that too.

David
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:21 am

Park One is going away at some point since Concourse 0 will be on the current Park One/LAXit site.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Park One is going away at some point since Concourse 0 will be on the current Park One/LAXit site.
I understand - I just want to know when instead of, oops, LAX killed us by making it impossible operate years early.

David
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Probably - I'll post next week when I try unless someone beats me to it. It might also show in a few days on google maps - they correctly show the LAXit internal roads already but don't have satellite imagery up yet.
Please do let me know your experience! I always park at Park One. I was planning to do again soon. But, I am concerned with how difficult it is to get into and out of the lot. Also, with the severe reduction of the number of parking spaces, are they even going to honor the reservations? I am always skeptical of how they keep track of the number of reservations they have.

Any recommendations on which parking lot we should frequent now that Park One is probably not a good idea anymore?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:40 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

One benefit of the new system for me is that I can walk in from Sepulveda and take a nonstop or 1-stop bus to TBIT or Terminal 4 or 5. That should be faster than walking all the way from Sepulveda to those terminals.

Edit: My point being that the new LAX-it buses could be useful in the other direction: from the LAX-it lot to the terminal, rather than walking all the way.
ryw likes this.

Last edited by nsx; Nov 5, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:42 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

Folks,

This thread is about using rideshare services and taxis when arriving at LAX after the implementation of LAX-it.

While some natural deviation from the subject matter of the thread is perfectly acceptable, please let's keep the focus of the discussion on getting your ride after arriving at LAX.

Suggestions for alternatives to parking at Park One should be discussed in the The Consolidated LAX Parking Thread (2015 - Date) thread.

Thank you for understanding and your anticipated cooperation,

TWA884
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA
LAX-it: Curbside pickup with kids & car seats?

I live about 12 miles from LAX and fly out pretty regularly, usually American (Terminal 4). Sometimes I am doing it with family (wife, 3 year old, 1 year old). The recent changes to curbside pickup represent a huge headache and I'm trying to see if anybody knows good strategies that I am missing.

First, here were the old strategies:
  1. Shuttles: Usually paying per-seat, could install car seats and be on our way. This has started to get expensive, when you get to 3 and soon 4 people paying per-seat.
  2. Uber XL/Large Taxi: More recently, I tried Uber XL and it worked well. Most of the cars are mini-vans, so the drivers have kids, can help install a car seat, and are reasonably patient. The rates are competitive, even factoring in that I'm usually tipping at close to 40-50% of the fare for their trouble.

Option B seems totally dead for anyone with young kids. Walking or taking the shuttle to the rideshare lot seems like a bridge too far. Having to move 2 car seats, 1 stroller, 1 large checked bag, carry-ons, and two kids in pretty much any non-enclosed environment is madness. We often just keep the kids in the terminal as long as possible while I shuffle gear to the curb. Plus, with respect to the shuttles, I have to imagine LAX has multiple accidents per day so taking an infant onto the shuttle without any car seat doesn't sound like a great idea, even if it may be legal. Finally, when you get there, you're minding the kids for an indeterminate amount of time in a busy parking lot.

Anyone know better options that are out there?
  • What can pick up on the inner curb? Is it just LAX-IT shuttles or are they having other shuttles in there too?
  • Barring that, who is able to pick up on the outer curb? Sounds like flat rate cars, Uber Black/SUV, and... ?
  • Maybe there are other options that I am missing?

Moving car seats around is nearly impossible while also wrangling small kids, so minimizing distance is important. I have to imagine these considerations are also highly relevant if you're transporting someone who is elderly and unwell (e.g., used to have to bring my grandmother places), who may well have both a wheelchair plus a bunch of gear that isn't easy to push at the same time.

I will also note that for the record I have checked their website, hit their twitter feed, and emailed the address given. <crickets> would be a charitable way to describe their response. So crowdsourcing this info is my best guess at how to game plan.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I believe private car pick-ups can still go to the curb - have you looked at Execucar? It’s an offshoot of Super Shuttle. I used them in the past before Uber/Lyft became commonplace. Or, alternatively, have you considered parking long term? Then you would have your own car. You could drop off the spouse and kids and then park. Upon return, go grab your own car, park in short term (free for 15 min) and then help spouse with kids to your own car. You’d always have your car seats in place/installed.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:49 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
One benefit of the new system for me is that I can walk in from Sepulveda and take a nonstop or 1-stop bus to TBIT or Terminal 4 or 5. That should be faster than walking all the way from Sepulveda to those terminals.

Edit: My point being that the new LAX-it buses could be useful in the other direction: from the LAX-it lot to the terminal, rather than walking all the way.
Since taxi/TNC dropoffs are allowed at the terminal (and since I haven't been to the LAX-it lot yet), is it possible to board a bus from there and take it back to the terminals?

Also, somewhat ironically for car-centric LA, I'm sure this lot is leading to the most walking traffic that these sidewalks have ever seen! (Saying this as someone who in recent years has been walking from T1/2/3 down to the Hyatt across Sepulveda to get picked up by friends & family to spare them going through the horseshoe traffic - usually it'd be a fine, but rather lonely walk. At least now I can probably get picked up/dropped off in the horseshoe a lot more easily than I used to be able to).

Based on the Google map layout, it looks like the expanded version of the lot for Lyft has its entry on Century (which maybe will ease some of the traffic into the taxi/Uber side), and has exits out to 96th & Sky Way for north-bound traffic, and out to Sepulveda for south-bound traffic. But I guess we'll find out for sure in a few days.
gpeso8 and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Uber Black shouldn't be that expensive with a 12 mile ride. I'd just use that and get curb side pick up.

Alternatively, use the bus... I'm not kidding, I think you live close enough to LAX that this should be an option. When my son was younger and still using car seats, we just walked 1/2 mile to the bus stop on Lincoln Blvd and took the Big Blue Bus to the airport and transfer to the LAX shuttle to the terminal. We must have done this 6 or 7 times and it was very easy and the most painless way to travel with very young kids. Return trip is the same, just need to time your arrival flight while bus is still running frequently. Never had to worry about car seats.

I don't know which direction you live but 12 miles will put you roughly in Westwood or North Santa Monica. If you live in the Westside, use Big Blue Bus or Culver City Bus to LAX. Both very easy to do and both runs fairly frequently throughout the day. The only time bus option wouldn't really work is early morning or late night.

We went back to using Uber once my son was in booster seats (he is 7 now) so it was much easier to install and take out of the back seat.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 5, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryw
Based on the Google map layout, it looks like the expanded version of the lot for Lyft has its entry on Century (which maybe will ease some of the traffic into the taxi/Uber side), and has exits out to 96th & Sky Way for north-bound traffic, and out to Sepulveda for south-bound traffic. But I guess we'll find out for sure in a few days.
That's what showed up in my facebook feed from LAX.
LIH Prem, ryw and Eurynom0s like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.