LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBD
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but do we know if that detailed pdf stating a firm 3:00 am October 29 start time, and mentioning TCPs specifically, was created by LAWA or created by Skift? It's just that I've looked, hard, for this pdf on an official website to no avail, and its firm start time differs from LAWA's current info.
I'm suspicious of the start time, too. I haven't seen that flyer anywhere but skift, and just about every other article and press release I've seen focuses on Uber/Lyft and ignores the other moves, other than the FAX mentioning that they're turning the space between the island and the curb into an express lane.

I have a flight that arrives back into LAX around 11pm on the 28th and I'll have to take some sort of cab home (I'm originating out of Burbank), so depending on their timing and my flight, I might be ending up right before it or right in the middle of it. I'll be sure to post any new info when I get home (and maybe will see them unveiling some new signage).
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Food trucks in Pickup lot

https://la.eater.com/2019/10/9/20906...cks-pickup-lot
Smart. Having food trucks in pickup lot.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
https://la.eater.com/2019/10/9/20906...cks-pickup-lot
Smart. Having food trucks in pickup lot.
I'll schedule my travel around when the kogi truck will be there...
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Renderings of the LAX rideshare pickup lot from Eater LA:

Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I was parked Wednesday and Thursday at Park One ("ParkNFly"), which is adjacent to the new Ride Share lot. While walking by the new Uber/Lyft lot, I could see the animated images are pretty close to what it actually looks like.

A few data points. My flight came in last night to Terminal 8, and exited at the ground level east end of the United baggage area. I was able to use the traffic signal directly outside and walk on the east side of the T-7 parking lot in a relatively straight line to the traffic signal at the southwest corner where the Ride Share lot is built. There are sidewalks now everywhere and new signage pointing toward Terminal 1. While I had to wait at three red lights to avoid jay-walking, it took 7 minutes to walk to what I believe was the Ride Share pedestrian entrance.

The second note is for those still parking at Park One, there is no longer shuttle service. If you park there you must walk to any terminal (although I suppose you could walk to T-1 in a few minutes then hop on one of the City shuttles that rotates from terminal to terminal).
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I was at LAX on Wednesday 10/9. I didn't walk from T5 to the rideshare lot like Craig6z but I have done the T5 to T1 walk many times before and it does take only about 5 or 6 minutes if you walk fast. The thing I noticed is that LAWA has painted the red "bus only" lane all around the road ways leading into and out of the ride share lot and the entrance to the lower level inner curb lane around the terminals. So they seem pretty serious this time about giving buses priority... we'll see about enforcement.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Renderings of the LAX rideshare pickup lot from Eater LA:

Nowhere near enough shelter. It's gonna be miserable if you land during the day during summer, or if it's raining.
ryw likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Nowhere near enough shelter. It's gonna be miserable if you land during the day during summer, or if it's raining.
LAX is basically at the beach and it doesn't get nearly as hot there as up here in Pasadena. When I worked down near there I kept a sweatshirt at work because it could be warm in the morning at home and cold down in Manhattan Beach all day.

And what's this "rain" stuff you're talking about?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Los Angeles Times:
Uber says LAX’s new pickup system could cause long waits and traffic jams

In a letter to the city agency that runs LAX, Uber’s security team said it was concerned that the system would not have a test run before the formal launch date. Similar changes this summer at the San Francisco airport sparked weeks of chaos.

The pickup lot will have 37 assigned spaces for Uber, which is not enough to satisfy rider demand, the company said in the Oct. 2 letter. Drivers for Uber pick up an average of 500 riders per hour at LAX, and during the busiest parts of the week, that number more than doubles, the company said. “Without a significant expansion of the lot, we expect the level of service to be poor,” the Uber letter said. The expansion would need to include at least twice as much space, the company said, with more space for pickups, more curb area for passengers to wait, and more road capacity for cars to enter and exit. The five loading bays where drivers will pick up riders will narrow to two exit lanes, which could “cause a bottleneck, risking gridlock during peak periods,” Uber wrote. That problem could be “further compounded” by shuttle buses to the terminals that will pass by every 45 seconds or so, the company said.

Uber officials toured the waiting area last month and came away concerned that the design provided “insufficient covering from sunlight, heat and rain” for hundreds of people who could be waiting for rides, they said. The changes could lead to “unintended consequences,” Uber said, including passengers circumventing the pickup lot by walking to nearby streets or hotels to call rides. The sidewalks out of the airport aren’t wide enough to accommodate a “large volume of riders seeking alternate pickup points,” the letter said.

Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137
LAX is basically at the beach and it doesn't get nearly as hot there as up here in Pasadena. When I worked down near there I kept a sweatshirt at work because it could be warm in the morning at home and cold down in Manhattan Beach all day.

And what's this "rain" stuff you're talking about?
You're standing in the middle of a bunch of exposed asphalt. It's going to be hot when it's the middle of summer and the sun's been beating down on that asphalt.

And yes, it DOES rain here. Have you somehow already forgotten how damp it was until, like, September this year?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:29 pm

I really think LAX wants to get rid of UBER etc or put them out in a lot like the Taxis and only let a set number in per hour depending on demand ,

And LA is now talking about $30 an hour for the UBER "wage"

This is not going to go well,
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:16 pm

The rendering of the lot doesn't look big enough to handle all the uber/lyft/etc needed at the same time.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

-David
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:55 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The rendering of the lot doesn't look big enough to handle all the uber/lyft/etc needed at the same time.
Uber was quoted in the LA Times recently that they believe they need twice as many slots at the new lot then what has been allocated. There are something like 74 Ride Share spots available in the lot, and Uber has half. Lyft up to now hasn't publicly commented, but by association probably has been allocated 37 spots too.

This is going to be ugly without serious dispatch oversight. Many times I've been waiting for a car at the pickup between TBIT and AA, and there has been probably over 50 people loitering around waiting for their car to arrive. Add the other five existing pickup locations (which anecdotally seem less crowded) and at peak times there might be ~175 people waiting for cars at a given moment.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Uber was quoted in the LA Times recently that they believe they need twice as many slots at the new lot then what has been allocated. There are something like 74 Ride Share spots available in the lot, and Uber has half. Lyft up to now hasn't publicly commented, but by association probably has been allocated 37 spots too.

This is going to be ugly without serious dispatch oversight. Many times I've been waiting for a car at the pickup between TBIT and AA, and there has been probably over 50 people loitering around waiting for their car to arrive. Add the other five existing pickup locations (which anecdotally seem less crowded) and at peak times there might be ~175 people waiting for cars at a given moment.
If you do the simplest possible estimate and assume that the need for rides (13,500/day) is distributed uniformly over 16 hours of the day and that the rate limiting step is the ability to load the passengers into an Uber, get that Uber out of the space, and get a new Uber into the space, then there's about 5.5 minutes for those activities per ride. At PDX it takes much less than that to move a vehicle in, load it, and get it out, though it's just a straight line queue rather than slots. There will obviously be spikes and lulls, but the rough estimate says it shouldn't be disastrous. It would be interesting to see a discrete model using real data all the way back to aircraft arrivals to estimate the likelihood of choke periods when the system gets completely overloaded due to multiple banks of flights arriving at once and things like that.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137
If you do the simplest possible estimate and assume that the need for rides (13,500/day) is distributed uniformly over 16 hours of the day and that the rate limiting step is the ability to load the passengers into an Uber, get that Uber out of the space, and get a new Uber into the space, then there's about 5.5 minutes for those activities per ride. At PDX it takes much less than that to move a vehicle in, load it, and get it out, though it's just a straight line queue rather than slots. There will obviously be spikes and lulls, but the rough estimate says it shouldn't be disastrous. It would be interesting to see a discrete model using real data all the way back to aircraft arrivals to estimate the likelihood of choke periods when the system gets completely overloaded due to multiple banks of flights arriving at once and things like that.
Continuing the fun with numbers exercise, let's assume at a peak hour there is a bus arriving every 5 minutes with 40 people aboard. Add another 120 people an hour walking to the lot (from T-1 and elsewhere) and we're at a 600 person queue in an hour. With strong dispatch oversight by LAWA, I guess it could work. A couple of necessities would be near instant availability of vehicles and an equal number of riders splitting the business 50/50 between the two providers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.