LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:37 am

We arrived at LAX around 11:30 am or so. We took Lyft in a white bus that looked like any old shuttle bus. From terminal to our Lyft took about 10-12 minutes. I thought it was more efficient than the old way of having to fight through traffic to find our driver. Granted, the lot wasn't very crowded but there seemed to be a lot of people there directing us on where to go.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Just chiming in - the new PIN system works very well (looks like both Uber and Lyft have it). The difference between November and January was night and day
writerguyfl and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I was at LAX last Tuesday afternoon and Thursday evening. I didn't see any green bus. All the LAX-it buses were the white ones. Some with the new CA temporary license plates.
I flew out of LAX yesterday and saw the same thing. Looks like the Green buses are temporarily pulled from service.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Just chiming in - the new PIN system works very well (looks like both Uber and Lyft have it). The difference between November and January was night and day
They keep improving it.

LAX is home base for me (and unfortunately they went and took my usual parking lot to do this) and the system for riders is unquestionably better than when I took rideshares (my split was 3 days parking 4 days away ride share when I was not getting reimbursed) but the drivers pretty much all hate it.

The queues for them are ugly and there was mass hysteria the first few weeks for people getting in late when the attendants weren’t around.

Now it seems fairly functional but drivers spent more time on clock before. On the flip side I generally walk to the lot and walk right up to a ride, is great for me.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:09 pm

I've noticed the Lyft drivers line are considerably shorter than Uber. I usually Uber (get PIN while on the bus) but I decided to try Lyft a few days ago to take advantage of the Chase Freedom 5% rebate this quarter. To my surprise, I was matched with an actual Lyft driver rather than PIN.

Got to the lot and there was no Lyft car waiting in line (Uber lines had about 30 or so cars) and there was a crowd of about 15 people waiting for their Lyft car to show up. My driver was on Century Blvd so he showed up in about 2 minutes after I arrived.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
I've noticed the Lyft drivers line are considerably shorter than Uber. I usually Uber (get PIN while on the bus) but I decided to try Lyft a few days ago to take advantage of the Chase Freedom 5% rebate this quarter. To my surprise, I was matched with an actual Lyft driver rather than PIN.
Did you do a shared ride or XL or something? When I did a shared ride they connected me to a particular driver and had me wait in a different spot rather than the PIN line. I usually do the PIN thing with Lyft and have never had to wait.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:14 am

I did regular Lyft. I think I got matched with an actual driver because there was no Lyft cars waiting in line (the Lyft side of the lot was entirely empty of cars). If there were cars waiting, I think I would have got PIN instead. I think that's the explanation, at least it makes sense to me.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:52 pm

I did regular Lyft. I think I got matched with an actual driver because there was no Lyft cars waiting in line (the Lyft side of the lot was entirely empty of cars). If there were cars waiting, I think I would have got PIN instead. I think that's the explanation, at least it makes sense to me.
What day / time was it? At least originally they were stopping the PIN service at midnight PST but I think that changed after mass confusion.

Also OT but I think both Sapphire and most Inks blow away the Freedom this quarter for Lyft... CSR is literally 10x right now and I have to admit I'm abusing that for all it's worth. Unless that's your only Chase card, I'd look to a different payment option.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Revelate
What day / time was it? At least originally they were stopping the PIN service at midnight PST but I think that changed after mass confusion.
About 6 weeks ago I got caught in a bit of a cluster where I obtained a PIN at 23:20, and when I went got the front of the Lyft line about 12 minutes later, the driver indicated he was in a match mode. Walked to the second car and driver said the same thing.

Had to close out the Lyft app and start from scratch. At about 23:40 I was matched with a car, that actually was on the rideshare lot, but about a dozen cars back in the queue. Interestingly the cost of the ride ended up about 10% lower than the initial PIN rate.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Revelate

Also OT but I think both Sapphire and most Inks blow away the Freedom this quarter for Lyft... CSR is literally 10x right now and I have to admit I'm abusing that for all it's worth. Unless that's your only Chase card, I'd look to a different payment option.
It was mid morning on Monday.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:51 pm

Any updates on the return of the "green Busses"? Will be Uber/lyfting out late April to a cruise sailing from San Pedro, amusing the virus doesn't cancel all cruises!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:22 pm

Green buses are still out of commission but there is no shortage of leased buses that are generally retired low-floor municipal buses with wheel chair access ramp. The last 3 times I arrived at LAX, the LAXit bus was waiting for me at curb side pickup point so there is generally no wait for the bus to arrive. LAWA also hired luggage handlers to help expedite loading at the terminals so you can just leave the bag at the curb for the handler to load it in the luggage area (on the leased bus, they are using the wheelchair loading area in front of the bus for luggage). You may have to sit for a minute or two before they depart but it's all very pleasant and efficient since the buses run in the exclusive bus lane.

The lack of LAX free wifi on the leased bus is a bit of problem for foreign visitors that don't want to use mobile data but there is free wifi inside the terminal and also at LAXit lot.
JB in AZ, TWA884 and chrisl137 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:59 pm

Green buses are still out of commission but there is no shortage of leased buses that are generally retired low-floor municipal buses with wheel chair access ramp. The last 3 times I arrived at LAX, the LAXit bus was waiting for me at curb side pickup point so there is generally no wait for the bus to arrive. LAWA also hired luggage handlers to help expedite loading at the terminals so you can just leave the bag at the curb for the handler to load it in the luggage area (on the leased bus, they are using the wheelchair loading area in front of the bus for luggage). You may have to sit for a minute or two before they depart but it's all very pleasant and efficient since the buses run in the exclusive bus lane.

The lack of LAX free wifi on the leased bus is a bit of problem for foreign visitors that don't want to use mobile data but there is free wifi inside the terminal and also at LAXit lot.
thank you
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More Taxi Pickup Locations in the Terminal Area

Starting March 10 - a 90 day trial of more taxi (not Uber/Lyft) pickup locations around the airport. LAX had this press release on their facebook, but I didn't see it on the LAX official site (it's probably buried somewhere):
Starting tomorrow, Tuesday, March 10 at 8:00 a.m., we will begin a 90-day pilot program that provides new taxi cab pickup locations for guests in addition to taxi pickups at LAX-it. The two new pilot locations are:

- Parking Structure 3 for guests arriving at Tom Bradley International Terminal and Terminals 3.

- Terminal 7 / 8 for guests arriving at Terminals 7 and 8

Parking Structure 3 Taxi Pickup will be the lane closest to Tom Bradley International Terminal on the ground floor of Parking Structure 3.

A taxi stand will also be brought back to the previous location on the Lower/Arrivals level of the Central Terminal Area (CTA), past the last entrance to Terminal 7/8. Queuing will be on the curb by the taxi stand This location is past where buses and shuttles exit the inner lanes and provides a separate entrance for vehicles.

Signage will be placed to direct guests arriving at Tom Bradley International Terminal and Terminals 3, 7 and 8 on how to reach the additional taxi pickup locations. Signage for LAX-it shuttles and LAX-it by foot will remain up as well.

LAX staff will be curbside to answer questions and direct guests to the new locations. Information on the new taxi pickup locations can also be found at FlyLAX.com/LAX-Traffic-and-Ground-Transportation
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:10 pm

I'm glad they are trying to work with the taxi drivers to find a solution. The T7 location really makes sense because it is currently basically not being used by the buses so why not let the taxi queue there - the key of course is capacity control... LAWA should only let enough taxi in the loop to fill the queue and not beyond where they may start to block the buses. I have to see how the T3 parking garage taxi stand works before I pass judgement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.