Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 29, no more Uber or Lyft pick ups at terminals

Starting Oct 29, no more Uber or Lyft pick ups at terminals

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: chrisl137
Wiki Link
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 14, 19, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by dancefreak View Post
that won’t happen In the near term since this is all temporary. The area in the middle will very soon become a major construction zone for the people mover. When that opens you will get there by bridge.
I'm unfortunately all too aware of all of the above. I was really mostly lamenting the loss of that bridge - it was a huge timesaver when cutting things close.

The lot where the TNC pickup happens will also become Concourse 0, and work is already in progress on that.
dancefreak likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, DL Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
given the hotel locations they pretty much have to make the border at sepulveda.
When LAWA first allowed TNCs to pick up from the airport a few years ago, this particular geofence made much more sense because at the time, it would make enforcement difficult if it extended beyond Sepulveda, as the fee would have been triggered even by drivers crossing through on Sepulveda. So to avoid that scenario, LAWA adjusted their geofence accordingly.
Old Nov 15, 19, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
When the LAX Automated People Mover becomes operational, arriving passengers will take the APM to the Intermodal Transportation Facility which will be the airport's pick-up and
drop-off location.
Yes...and you'll get to the people mover from the terminal via a bridge.
Old Nov 17, 19, 11:06 am

Read through this whole thread and still confused. Landing at peak at LAX (9.30pm Tues, Delta), what should I do? Sounds like walk about 12 minutes to Hyatt and then Uber from there (to the AC South Bay which Iím sure the driver will love)
Old Nov 17, 19, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mabramovich View Post
Read through this whole thread and still confused. Landing at peak at LAX (9.30pm Tues, Delta), what should I do? Sounds like walk about 12 minutes to Hyatt and then Uber from there (to the AC South Bay which I’m sure the driver will love)
If it were the first week of the transition I'd say you should just walk to your hotel, but the major bugs seem to be worked out so you can use any option. If you walk out to the Hyatt you might be doing your driver a favor because it probably won't be someone who had to wait in the airport pickup waiting lot for an hour to get a 2 mile fare. If you walk out to Sepulveda you'll have a decent chance of being someone's rematch.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
From T7 it's a quick 5-minute walk to Sepulveda. I have done it many times. Head east, not north. Pass the police station and carefully cross the 2 lanes of southbound traffic leaving the airport. Continue on the south side of the onramp from southbound Sepulveda to eastbound Century. Then walk north to the center of the lighted pylons. That's where you can catch a city bus or Uber southbound. Save time and save $4

This walking route has no traffic lights to slow you down, unless you need to cross Sepulveda at Century to catch an Uber northbound.
I was just looking at the street view to see where you get picked up - it looks like you go to the bus stop on southbound Sepulveda right in front of one of the pylons? Have you ever tried getting picked up a bit further south? There's a little landscaped island due east of T8 that looks like it has a couple paths worn from the sidewalk to the street for similar purposes, with the possible risk of having a sprinkler spraying where you want to walk.
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:23 am

I tried the Sepulveda pickup today - it ended up being a wash for time because the first driver went to the LAXit lot instead of going to where I was (and I included a note to the driver, should have called, too). I ended up cancelling that ride and getting another one and calling. He made it in about 3 minutes. The walk to the spot on sepulveda is definitely faster than to the LAXit lot, and it's easier on the driver if they know what they're doing, but it also ended up being the slowest pickup I've had since the LAXit lot opened (I've flown into LAX 4 times since it opened, did Uber/Lyft for 3 of them, parked in lot E for the 4th).
Old Nov 29, 19, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Yes it is necessary. But the big question (for me at least) is what about Hertz Platinum curbside service?

I might head out there for Thanksgiving to find out.
For the few people who care, Hertz still does curbside deliver for Plat's. But yesterday was such a zoo at LAX that they parked my car in the center garage and walked me over there. Even without the Uber's and taxis traffic was crazy mid-day on Thanksgiving day. It probably would have been much worse otherwise.

But on the other hand, since no cars can use the inside lane anymore, maybe that it was made the traffic seem worse?
Old Dec 1, 19, 10:32 pm

FYI, landed LAX at 2:00 PM today (Thanksgiving Sunday). Took LAXit to ride share lot, and Uber home. While the airport was packed, and the departures level had a decent backup of cars, arrivals was quite a bit lighter, including cars. All told, it took max 20 minutes from gate exit to entering our Uber. 5 minute walk from gate to curb, 5 minute wait for 2nd LAXit bus to arrive / fill, 7 minute bus ride to ride share lot, and 3 minutes to exit bus / walk to waiting car.

while slower than us typically getting a cab at the terminal, everything went quite smoothly and pretty quickly.
SanDiego1K and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'll be arriving at LAX around 4pm next Sunday. I plan to take the green bus to the LAXit lot, take a look at taxi/uber lines and then decide whether or not to walk on to the Hyatt to get an uber. My question is this: is there free accessible wifi at the LAXit lot and at the Hyatt? (I don't want to use mobile data in the US which is cripplingly expensive on my cheapskate plan!)
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by hectorb View Post
I'll be arriving at LAX around 4pm next Sunday. I plan to take the green bus to the LAXit lot, take a look at taxi/uber lines and then decide whether or not to walk on to the Hyatt to get an uber. My question is this: is there free accessible wifi at the LAXit lot and at the Hyatt? (I don't want to use mobile data in the US which is cripplingly expensive on my cheapskate plan!)
I don't think you will have usable Wifi at LAXit unless it was added during construction. I will try to remember to check it Friday.
Old Dec 2, 19, 2:39 pm

Is there a sub-page here about towncar services pickup? I'm arriving Christmas day on a tight schedule and won't have an extra hour to wait to get into a taxi or Uber. Never ordered a towncar before and just wondering if you meet them in the parking lot or you call when you land and they are allowed to be at curb waiting?
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Is there a sub-page here about towncar services pickup? I'm arriving Christmas day on a tight schedule and won't have an extra hour to wait to get into a taxi or Uber. Never ordered a towncar before and just wondering if you meet them in the parking lot or you call when you land and they are allowed to be at curb waiting?
Can anyone recommend a good limo/car service in LA?
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by hectorb View Post
According to the LAXit site, there is free WiFi at LAXit: https://www.flylax.com/lax-it

Is there free Wi-Fi at the lot and on the LAX-it Shuttles?

There is free Wi-Fi on the LAX-it Shuttle and free Wi-Fi at LAX-it.
writerguyfl likes this.

Search this Thread