Reload this Page >

Destinations

America - USA

Los Angeles

LAX-it: Starting Oct 29, 19, no more Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

LAX-it: Starting Oct 29, 19, no more Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 16, 22, 10:05 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: downinit
Wiki Link
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 29, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel View Post
My wife’s flight to Burbank on SWA was delayed this afternoon so she switched it at the gate to LAX. When she saw the signs for LAX-it by Term 1, someone said it would be about an hour wait. She decided to walk across Sepulveda to the Hyatt and request her Uber there. Driver showed up in 3 minutes.
I mostly fly Alaska, so I figure what I'll do is take the shuttle to LAX-it and then walk to the Hyatt.
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
I've often wondered how many arriving tourists considered going back into the terminal to catch a flight home, their hearts sinking as their first experience of Los Angeles was a stinky, noisy, seemingly interminable wait for a shuttle in the claustrophobic arrivals cave.
My first thought on arrival into LAX for a job interview and getting outside on the lower level was "Blade Runner". Way back in the mid 90s they had regular PA announcements there, too, and it was a lot like the beginning of the movie, minus the flying cars.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 7:37 am

The posts appearing about this on /r/losangeles make it sound really not good so far. :/

It sounds like one big problem is that Uber and Lyft are supposed to give you a PIN that you show to the first available driver, but that for whatever reason the apps are still matching you with specific drivers who you then have to wait a super long time for as they crawl into the pickup area.
Old Oct 30, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
It sounds like one big problem is that Uber and Lyft are supposed to give you a PIN that you show to the first available driver, but that for whatever reason the apps are still matching you with specific drivers who you then have to wait a super long time for as they crawl into the pickup area.
Wow. Sounds like the services both managed to drop the ball on this one. How much advance notice did LAWA give?

Although to be fair, LAWA seems to have demanded they make a significant change to their model and take away the drivers' ability to choose their fares.
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
I landed at LAX last night at Terminal 6 at 10:00pm. After getting my luggage, there was a lot of signage in the terminal and by baggage claim stating that you had to take a shuttle to the new lot. Went to the pick up point and waited … one shuttle completely empty goes by without stopping; another appeared to be fully loaded also goes by. Finally a half filled shuttle picks us up and proceeds to the lot. Problem is that there were a large amount of Uber and Lyft vehicles going to the lot as well and there was no special lane for the bus to travel in to enter the lot, so we were waiting in the same line as the uber and lyft vehicles trying to pick up passengers. Once in the lot, there were a lot of uber/lyft/cab/LAX employees directing people to different areas but their directions were not very clear. We were pointed to the uberx area and told that a PIN would be issued to us and we were to give it to the driver before entering. The line of uberx cars seemed to slow and with everyone lined up awaiting a car, it seemed to take forever. Finally at midnight a Uber employee tells everyone that the PIN system is discontinued at midnight and to cancel that reservation. We were told to make a new request the usual uber process. That did not sit well with everyone who had been waiting in line and now had to cancel the first reservation and reschedule a new one. As uber cars were coming into the pick up area, uber employees would ask the driver who had requested the ride; then yell out the first name of the requester trying to speed things up by matching the car and requester. This also was chaotic since the line of cars stretched over 50 yards and people were going back and forth looking for their ride. After reaching the lot via the shuttle at 10:30, we were picked up at 12:20 am. Not a very good start for the new system. It may ultimately work out but there was a huge traffic jam of cars, cabs and shuttle buses trying to enter the lot last night and this was after most of the incoming flights had arrived.
LIH Prem, Need, Statman and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
SoCalTravel summed it up perfectly. I arrived last night at TBIT at 9 P.M.. I just had a carry-on so decided to walk to the lot. The walk took 12 minutes for me, but then I waited for about another 45-minutes for a driver. I'm using a car service next time I land at LAX.
Need, Statman, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by SoCaltravel View Post
I landed at LAX last night at Terminal 6 at 10:00pm. After getting my luggage, there was a lot of signage in the terminal and by baggage claim stating that you had to take a shuttle to the new lot. Went to the pick up point and waited … one shuttle completely empty goes by without stopping; another appeared to be fully loaded also goes by. Finally a half filled shuttle picks us up and proceeds to the lot. Problem is that there were a large amount of Uber and Lyft vehicles going to the lot as well and there was no special lane for the bus to travel in to enter the lot, so we were waiting in the same line as the uber and lyft vehicles trying to pick up passengers. Once in the lot, there were a lot of uber/lyft/cab/LAX employees directing people to different areas but their directions were not very clear. We were pointed to the uberx area and told that a PIN would be issued to us and we were to give it to the driver before entering. The line of uberx cars seemed to slow and with everyone lined up awaiting a car, it seemed to take forever. Finally at midnight a Uber employee tells everyone that the PIN system is discontinued at midnight and to cancel that reservation. We were told to make a new request the usual uber process. That did not sit well with everyone who had been waiting in line and now had to cancel the first reservation and reschedule a new one. As uber cars were coming into the pick up area, uber employees would ask the driver who had requested the ride; then yell out the first name of the requester trying to speed things up by matching the car and requester. This also was chaotic since the line of cars stretched over 50 yards and people were going back and forth looking for their ride. After reaching the lot via the shuttle at 10:30, we were picked up at 12:20 am. Not a very good start for the new system. It may ultimately work out but there was a huge traffic jam of cars, cabs and shuttle buses trying to enter the lot last night and this was after most of the incoming flights had arrived.
jfc, why would they discontinue the PIN system at midnight? That's mind-numbingly stupid, the airport authority knows full well that they have plenty of late-night arrivals.
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:41 am

My parents flew into LAX yesterday with an ~3:45pm arrival (Delta) and reported a long line with 50 minute wait for Lyft. Said the Uber wait didn't look as bad and it looked like they were using a different system.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
jfc, why would they discontinue the PIN system at midnight? That's mind-numbingly stupid, the airport authority knows full well that they have plenty of late-night arrivals.
There is no reason to stop the PIN system at anytime. I think they probably ran into a glitch or a bug or something.

Does the traffic inside the airport circle look any better? But it is late night so probably light normally anyway. Big test would be Thanksgiving.... last year it took me like 1 hours to get to the terminal to drop off someone.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Big test would be Thanksgiving.... last year it took me like 1 hours to get to the terminal to drop off someone.
If the person is mobile with minimal luggage, you can drop off at Century and Sepulveda. It's up to a 15 minute walk to the International Terminal, but that's faster than a traffic jam. Terminal 1 is less than a 5 minute walk. Or walk 2 minutes to the LAX-it lot and take the bus.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
Last night was the first full night the new parking lot was in operation. Not sure why the pin system was discontinued at midnight but the Uber employee who announced it gave no warning before midnight that the pin system was ending. I have the misfortune to return to LAX this morning. There doesn’t seem to be as much a backlog of ride share cars lined up to enter the lot. This was at 10 am today.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Does the traffic inside the airport circle look any better? But it is late night so probably light normally anyway. Big test would be Thanksgiving.... last year it took me like 1 hours to get to the terminal to drop off someone.
I picked up my wife at TBIT last night around 8 and the traffic on the arrivals level was a disaster.

However, I attribute this to the learning curve because there were shuttle buses that didn't even know they could go in the inner loop. I am hoping that once people figure out the new flow, then traffic will improve.

FYI - I got good looks at the inner ring where the buses are supposed to be and there was no traffic at all. I saw the FlyAway bus just picking up passengers right outside to terminal and then breezing through the inside loop. Will have to consider that option the next time I fly out of LAX. At a minimum, I can just easily Uber from where they FlyAway bus drops me off.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
Wow. Sounds like the services both managed to drop the ball on this one. How much advance notice did LAWA give?

Although to be fair, LAWA seems to have demanded they make a significant change to their model and take away the drivers' ability to choose their fares.
There were months of warning, and the PIN method is already in use at other airports. I've been using it for months at PDX. If Uber and Lyft failed to implement it at LAX it's on them. They may want to keep the curbside pickups, but that's just not reasonable given the traffic volume in the loop. I was already waiting half an hour to get a ride around 10:30-11pm on non-holiday weeknights. Uber and Lyft did a poor job of communicating with their drivers, as well. My Uber to BUR on thursday hadn't heard anything about the PIN system, and almost nothing about the LAX rearrangement.

LAX may be the second busiest airport in the US, but it's the busiest O/D airport in the US (and probably the world). That means it has more people arriving and departing by ground than any other airport in the world. It's unworkable in the near term (and probably long term) that every party should have a dedicated vehicle driving into the loop to get them.
writerguyfl and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem is that there were a large amount of Uber and Lyft vehicles going to the lot as well and there was no special lane for the bus to travel in to enter the lot, so we were waiting in the same line as the uber and lyft vehicles trying to pick up passengers.
Someone really messed up getting out the information on that - if you look at all the various public information, the buses and the TNC drivers should be using entirely different entrances, with no shared routes between them (but a few places where they cross at intersections). Probably a lot of TNC drivers drove in on Century and got redirected into the bus lane. They should just get sent through the East Way turnaround and go back out the airport and go into the lot from the north.

Finally at midnight a Uber employee tells everyone that the PIN system is discontinued at midnight and to cancel that reservation. We were told to make a new request the usual uber process.
There is no reason to stop the PIN system at anytime. I think they probably ran into a glitch or a bug or something.
I hope that was an accident - turning off the PIN system at midnight is stupid and unnecessary.

Originally Posted by Statman View Post
FYI - I got good looks at the inner ring where the buses are supposed to be and there was no traffic at all. I saw the FlyAway bus just picking up passengers right outside to terminal and then breezing through the inside loop. Will have to consider that option the next time I fly out of LAX. At a minimum, I can just easily Uber from where they FlyAway bus drops me off.
The Flyaway is generally excellent, and you can buy a ticket on your phone after boarding and get it scanned when you get off. With the dedicated LAWA bus lane it makes the Flyaway to Union Station + train or Uber/Lyft from Union Station a lot more appealing. If the TNC lot is still a mess on saturday night when I fly back into LAX, I might head back to T1 and get the flyaway.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
After reaching the lot via the shuttle at 10:30, we were picked up at 12:20 am. Not a very good start for the new system. It may ultimately work out but there was a huge traffic jam of cars, cabs and shuttle buses trying to enter the lot last night and this was after most of the incoming flights had arrived.
Could you not just grab an ordinary taxi? I prefer Uber, but I prefer much more to not wait two hours.

Search this Thread