LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I watched the LAWA board presentation about the project (August 1st meeting, item #10 , https://www.lawa.org/en/lawa-governa...-boac-meetings), and there will be twelve people in the lot managing traffic, two supervisors, and one custodian on-site. The pick up area is designed for 2,000 passenger pickups/hour.

Sidewalks have been widened from 2.5 to 6-10 feet to enhance walking space in LAX.

Five BRT loops will be used:
  • Terminal 1/2: 15-minute passenger travel time via bus
  • Terminal 3/4: 14-minute (T3) and 10-minute (T4) passenger travel time via bus
  • TBIT: 11-minute passenger travel time via bus
  • Terminal 5/6 10-minute (T5) and 8-minute (T6) passenger travel time via bus
  • Terminal 7/8 7-minute passenger travel time via bus
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What about limousine/town car pickups? There are a lot less of those. Maybe they will still be allowed?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
What about limousine/town car pickups? There are a lot less of those. Maybe they will still be allowed?
Most or all of those are probably TCP vehicles and it looks like they use the lower level island pickups with private passenger vehicles.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ianmanka
LAWA has posted their press release and FAQs (PDF). Effectively, they're starting their own BRT system, with dedicated lanes for LAWA vehicles (inner curb lane of arrivals level). Enforcement will be the big question mark.

Due to the automated people mover construction, they're going to lose 30% of their inner curb space.

I'm excited for the change, it'll make for a better experience overall (though if you have tons of luggage, maybe not).
That's the only way it can work. I've been saying for years (as long as I've been on FT anyway) that LAWA needs to give buses priority lane so it doesn't get stuck in traffic. LAX has SO MUCH road space but it is badly managed. They've never tried to prioritize giving larger vehicles preferential access but looks like they've now reached the point of complete chaos so they are willing to give this proven idea a try.

What they should do is combine the bus lane implantation with congestion surcharge to further discourage empty cars circling the roadway. License plate scanners are cheap... install them at all the entry point and if a car is caught entering the loop more than twice in a given amount of time, they get a bill in the mail like the HOV toll lanes work.
OskiBear, TWA884 and chrisl137 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
What they should do is combine the bus lane implantation with congestion surcharge to further discourage empty cars circling the roadway. License plate scanners are cheap... install them at all the entry point and if a car is caught entering the loop more than twice in a given amount of time, they get a bill in the mail like the HOV toll lanes work.
The infrastructure is already there. The shuttle services (Supershuttle, Primetime) pay per lap via transponders, and there are probably charges for other commercial vehicles as well, so there are probably already license plate readers so you can't dodge by not having a transponder. I know that there are transponder readers because my expresslanes transponder beeps when I enter the loop (at least it did til the battery died, though the RF response for tolls doesn't seem to depend on the battery).

There could also be a charge for driving a personal vehicle in the loop at all, but that would probably cause too much pushback, at least for now. Maybe in 10 years when it's always faster to walk from the Sepulveda exit on the 105 than to drive. It's that bad at the holidays already.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by chrisl137
There could also be a charge for driving a personal vehicle in the loop at all, but that would probably cause too much pushback, at least for now. Maybe in 10 years when it's always faster to walk from the Sepulveda exit on the 105 than to drive. It's that bad at the holidays already.
Like at DFW and EZE. They charge you according to the parking schedule.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
My guess is all TCP vehicles will have to use this system. What I have noticed is a lot of these drivers park in the central terminal area garage for their passenger and exit the parking structure.

LAWA is conspicuously silent on what will happen once the Intermodal Transfer Facility is completed (ITF West and ITF East). Based on the LAWA board meetings I watched, they are using this as a semi-pilot program to direct changes in behavior so people get used to not having a curbside pickup from LAX. The problem is that ITF West and East will be complete a few years before the Automated People Mover, and they're busy contemplating the best way to handle it. I can't remember if the Consolidated Rental Car Facility will be completed before or after the APM is complete.

Probably the best approach is to get rid of all hotel/parking lot shuttle buses looping around the central terminal area and force them to pick up all passengers at ITF West/East. Maybe allow personal vehicles with a toll, but then dedicate 1-2 lanes for just LAWA bus traffic until the APM is complete. Keep the TNC lot until the APM is complete, then make them get picked up elsewhere. The risk, however, is that LAWA gets rent/concession fees from certain providers using the central terminal area, so they don't want to cannibalize that revenue stream. It just depends on how the timing works out, as they plan on completing major roadwork over the next 10 years and re-doing a lot of the entrances/exit on/offramps to LAX.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LA Times has an article today with a little more detail on how the pickups will work.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:37 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
LA Times has an article today with a little more detail on how the pickups will work.
Airport officials converted a parking lot just east of LAX’s Terminal 1 into a pickup plaza with bathrooms, umbrellas and phone charging stations. The area, at the intersection of Sky Way and World Way, will also have food trucks that will operate from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m.

The pickup area will have one entrance and exit for drivers, and a separate entrance for shuttles. Uber and Lyft drivers will approach from the north, on Sky Way, and make a left turn across the roadway to enter the lot. The intersection will be staffed 24 hours a day by a traffic officer, Wilschetz said.

The pickup lot will have a series of queues where up to 93 Uber and Lyft cars can load passengers simultaneously. An area nearby has space for 40 taxis. Attendants inside the lot will be able to answer questions, officials said.

Travelers will reach the area by boarding bright green shuttles at the terminals, or by walking. The shuttles are supposed to arrive every three to five minutes, and will make a maximum of two stops before going to the pickup lot.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:34 pm
JBD

Most or all of those are probably TCP vehicles and it looks like they use the lower level island pickups with private passenger vehicles.
I find it a pretty glaring ommission that LAWA's news release and FAQs page (the latter appears to have been recently revised), and the new LA Times article posted above, make no specific mention of traditional car services. This is LAX afterall....

Originally Posted by ianmanka
My guess is all TCP vehicles will have to use this system...
ianmanka you seem very well informed and I thank you for your posts, but I sure hope you're wrong!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:35 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
As a person who using the Parking Spot, this makes me very happy. Can’t stand the mess upon Shuttle pickup/drop off that has developed over the past few years. Many rideshare customers are simply too dumb and not paying attention..”dude where’s my Uber brah?”. I said many, but not all, before anyone gets their spanks in a bunch
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBD
I find it a pretty glaring ommission that LAWA's news release and FAQs page (the latter appears to have been recently revised), and the new LA Times article posted above, make no specific mention of traditional car services. This is LAX afterall....
TCP vehicles/car services (licensed car services should be TCP, but I know there are also neigborhood airport drivers who do dropoff/pickup who may not be TCP) are covered in the last group on page 2 of the LAWA pdf in the skift link posted in the first post. They pick up at the islands at the lower level, same place as your friends and family.

(ETA: it was posted in the equivalent of being "...on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.'", but it was there)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:43 pm
JBD

TCP vehicles/car services (licensed car services should be TCP, but I know there are also neigborhood airport drivers who do dropoff/pickup who may not be TCP) are covered in the last group on page 2 of the LAWA pdf in the skift link posted in the first post...
Thanks for the news, and for the chuckle.

I'm happy to hear you saw this matter in print, but the OP's first post no longer contains any link. (I hazily recall it originally contained a link to someone's twitter account or to a blog?)

And when I've looked over the press release directly on LAWA's site, and its linked FAQs page, I continue to see nothing re licensed car services:
https://www.lawa.org/en/news-release...ws-release-110

Does anyone still have the link to the publication where it mentions car services? Or is it mentioned in my link above and I'm just missing it?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBD
I'm happy to hear you saw this matter in print, but the OP's first post no longer contains any link. (I hazily recall it originally contained a link to someone's twitter account or to a blog?)
Weird. The tweet in the first post still displays for me, and the link is in the twitter post (just above the picture and behind the sign about the leopard).

I made a wikipost and put the link there - I didn't want to deep link to the pdf in case they block that, but I might try that on an edit.

I think "licensed car services" fall under TCP. As a passenger I'd never think of "TCP" as a category of transport, but I do notice all the vehicles with the numbers on them.

(ETA: looks like the PDF is stored on google so it didn't complain when I linked straight to it)
(edited again to add: I googled up a presentation about types of ground transport, and it sounds like all licensed car services for hire should fall under the TCP category.

Last edited by chrisl137; Oct 9, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:45 am
JBD

Weird. The tweet in the first post still displays for me, and the link is in the twitter post (just above the picture and behind the sign about the leopard)...
After reading this, I tried something and figured out what was going on. On my laptop I use Firefox in Private Mode, and that's where the first post's link and image is completely missing. But when I go into a regular window on FF I see everything. And I now remember I read this thread initially on my phone via Safari. All obviously off topic, but posting this in the effort to be helpful to others.

...I made a wikipost and put the link there - I didn't want to deep link to the pdf in case they block that, but I might try that on an edit.

I think "licensed car services" fall under TCP. As a passenger I'd never think of "TCP" as a category of transport, but I do notice all the vehicles with the numbers on them...
Thanks for going to this trouble and for starting the wiki!

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but do we know if that detailed pdf stating a firm 3:00 am October 29 start time, and mentioning TCPs specifically, was created by LAWA or created by Skift? It's just that I've looked, hard, for this pdf on an official website to no avail, and its firm start time differs from LAWA's current info.

But bottomline, it would seem that the FTer on this thread who guessed that the TCPs would be lumped together with the Ubers/Taxis is most likely wrong. So I'll stop clogging up this thread and will look forward to reading FTer's anecdotal reports.

Thanks again chrisl137 for the replies. ^

Edited to add:
Just posted the official links in the wiki
KathyWdrf likes this.

Last edited by JBD; Oct 10, 2019 at 1:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.