LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Do you suppose the author of this video found the LAX Hyatt trick in this thread?
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/uber-price-gouging/
It seems the Hyatt-loophole has been closed! Tried a trip from lax to Anaheim a few times over the last days, and the price is always the same for Lax-it and Hyatt. Even further for the Sheraton or for the city bus station and economy lot…from the Hilton further away the price drops.
if you want to save some bucks, it seems you now have to walk a lot (maybe going to the In n‘ out) or take the shuttle to the green line station.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shinji4u
It seems the Hyatt-loophole has been closed! Tried a trip from lax to Anaheim a few times over the last days, and the price is always the same for Lax-it and Hyatt. Even further for the Sheraton or for the city bus station and economy lot…from the Hilton further away the price drops.
if you want to save some bucks, it seems you now have to walk a lot (maybe going to the In n‘ out) or take the shuttle to the green line station.
I don't mind a little walking since I will be flying in and out of T1 this time but has anyone found out at what point is it worth it to keep walking down Century Blvd vs just giving up and using the LAX-IT lot?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
I don't mind a little walking since I will be flying in and out of T1 this time but has anyone found out at what point is it worth it to keep walking down Century Blvd vs just giving up and using the LAX-IT lot?
You might need to do the experiment and report back.

I stopped using Uber/Lyft about a year into the apocalypse when ride costs up to Pasadena got very expensive and it started to be a crap shoot whether you'd get a driver from here in a finite amount of time.

Around that time I tried the trick of walking out to the curb near the bus stop on Sepulveda, but my driver went to the LAXit lot anyway (despite both the location of my dot and a text message) so it ended up being more hassle than it was worth.
corky likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
l’ve seen normal non airport prices at the southwest corner of Sepulveda and Century. I don’t think the boundary has changed. There is also the $1 metro mini service if you are going a short distance. Not that I have ever been able to get a ride with that app…
corky likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
You might need to do the experiment and report back.

I stopped using Uber/Lyft about a year into the apocalypse when ride costs up to Pasadena got very expensive and it started to be a crap shoot whether you'd get a driver from here in a finite amount of time.

Around that time I tried the trick of walking out to the curb near the bus stop on Sepulveda, but my driver went to the LAXit lot anyway (despite both the location of my dot and a text message) so it ended up being more hassle than it was worth.
Maybe I will take a stroll over to one of the hotels and call and uber or lyft. Last time I took a cab from Lax-It was crazy expensive.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I flew into the JSX terminal last week and called Lyft from the parking lot which is on the grounds of LAX but there was no LAX surcharge. The Lyft driver even came from the LAX Lyft lot. So the geofence doesn't cover the entire airport, just the area near the horseshoe.

For those that are not familiar, JSX is next to the cargo terminal east of Sepulveda. If you are coming off I-105 into the tunnel, it is the building to the right of the freeway offramp.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Today I tried requesting Lyft on Sepulveda. It refused my current location and insisted that I walk to LAX-it. No problem because I was taking the bus anyway.

I also tried Uber and it quoted me $30 to go 2 miles, which is nuts.

It's possible that the geofence has moved.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by nsx
Today I tried requesting Lyft on Sepulveda. It refused my current location and insisted that I walk to LAX-it. No problem because I was taking the bus anyway.

I also tried Uber and it quoted me $30 to go 2 miles, which is nuts.

It's possible that the geofence has moved.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that it's legal to stop your car on Sepulveda around the airport. For sure this would be illegal at the bus stop. I suspect an Uber driver was cited and Uber disallows pickups now.

As an aside, Beach Cities Transit (busses to Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo beaches) began collecting fares as of October 1. Bus #109 serves the LAX City Bus center, but not the bus stop at Sepulveda and Century.
nsx likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I will take a stroll over to one of the hotels and call and uber or lyft. Last time I took a cab from Lax-It was crazy expensive.
I forgot that I was going to be a test dummy for this. My flight was delayed and I just wanted to get home and forgot.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:14 am

LAX-It and tons of luggage

Does anyone know if you can bring the free carts out to the LAX-it and the airport will return them?
I don't know how tom bradley international flyers use LAX-it with tons of luggage. I saw a shuttle van pass by and it was full of people with only one rack for luggage.

And how does LAX figure out uber drivers who pick up curbside? Uber black can pick up curbside. How do they ticket the other uber drivers?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Does anyone know if you can bring the free carts out to the LAX-it and the airport will return them?
I don't know how tom bradley international flyers use LAX-it with tons of luggage. I saw a shuttle van pass by and it was full of people with only one rack for luggage.

And how does LAX figure out uber drivers who pick up curbside? Uber black can pick up curbside. How do they ticket the other uber drivers?
You can roll the luggage cart to LAX-It if you want to walk. If you want to use the shuttle, you need to leave the cart behind at the terminal.

There is no way to request an UberX to pickup curbside so there is no need to enforce anything. The Uber app tells you to take the shuttle and the pickup location is LAX-It no matter where you make the request inside the terminal loop. If you need curbside service, you need to request Uber Black... but my experience is that unless you are going a long way, no Uber Black drivers will accept your ride request. Try Lyft Black instead.

Additional clarification: the difference between the "Black" and "Lux" or "XL" service on Uber and Lyft is "Black" driver is licensed livery operator. So their vehicle are clearly marked with TPC number on the outside (at least it is the case in California). It's easy to tell them apart.

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 17, 2022 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I've been on LAX-it shuttles where part of the bus is dedicated to luggage. It's been awhile, but I remember a number of times where the driver very efficiently helped people pile luggage in the center portion of the bus and passengers sat at the very front or the very rear, but the center was dedicated to luggage.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 5:40 pm

Aren’t there new Uber drivers like first time picking someone up at lax and they talk to the customer over the phone and say let’s meet at curbside? Only way out of lax-it? Low chance of getting ticketed. Car might not have Uber signs….
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:10 pm

Aren’t there new Uber drivers like first time picking someone up at lax and they talk to the customer over the phone and say let’s meet at curbside? Only way out of lax-it? Low chance of getting ticketed. Car might not have Uber signs….
I don't understand what you are trying to do. Every single thing you mentioned is either illegal or against Uber policy and also doesn't work for the Uber driver. Rideshare vehicles are required to display a sign in Los Angeles when operating. The pickup location is geofence restricted by LAX to prevent traffic congestion. Uber will suspend the driver for policy vioation such as ignoring pickup location.

It could be up to 40 min roundtrip inside the loop for Uber driver to pick you up at the curb. So you are asking them to risk an Uber violation and take 20 min of their time to venture into the loop that they are not getting compensated, and there is no guarantee you will be where you say you would be? What makes you think this will work?

Uber policy Los Angeles

You can try but I suspect if you call the Uber driver that you have been matched with and ask them to come into the loop, they will just report you and cancel your ride.
Need and TWA884 like this.

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 21, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by bzcat
I don't understand what you are trying to do. Every single thing you mentioned is either illegal or against Uber policy and also doesn't work for the Uber driver. Rideshare vehicles are required to display a sign in Los Angeles when operating. The pickup location is geofence restricted by LAX to prevent traffic congestion. Uber will suspend the driver for policy vioation such as ignoring pickup location.

It could be up to 40 min roundtrip inside the loop for Uber driver to pick you up at the curb. So you are asking them to risk an Uber violation and take 20 min of their time to venture into the loop that they are not getting compensated, and there is no guarantee you will be where you say you would be? What makes you think this will work?

Uber policy Los Angeles

You can try but I suspect if you call the Uber driver that you have been matched with and ask them to come into the loop, they will just report you and cancel your ride.
And, there is NO more heavily policed area than LAX airport. NONE.

If you really want to cheat the LAExit system, take the free shuttle to the Aviation/LAX metro station and call Uber for pickup from there. You will ride a bus for 15-20 minutes. I don't know what it would save you? $5 maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.