LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I think there's a geofence whose eastern border is at Sepulveda Blvd. Anything inside the geofence is charged the LAWA fee and subject to the LAWA rules.
I have taken Ubers to and from Sepulveda and Century with no $4 fee. It’s about 150 yards from the LAXit lot. LAX gives you free rides to and from a point almost at the edge of their $4 domain.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
I have taken Ubers to and from Sepulveda and Century with no $4 fee. It’s about 150 yards from the LAXit lot. LAX gives you free rides to and from a point almost at the edge of their $4 domain.
given the hotel locations they pretty much have to make the border at sepulveda.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did my first regular Lyft ride from the LAXit lot. I've done a shared Lyft once and parked in lot E once since LAXit opened. I stepped off the jetway at 9:30 on a Wednesday night.

I arrived in T8 and walked from the east end of the horseshoe along the end of P7 and P1 (there was no shuttle at the curb when I got there). It took about 10 minutes total from stepping off the curb at the terminal to getting into a Lyft in the LAXit lot. It was about the maximal walking distance from where I started, since Lyft is further than Uber and they put the head of the line of cars at the north end of their island. I got into a car that was in the third slot. I had requested my Lyft before I even stepped off the curb at the terminal and had a PIN long before I got to the lot.

Random observations:
  • I was in a Lyft 15 minutes after stepping off the jetway. Pre-LAXit it was easily 15 to 40 minutes from getting to the pickup spot.
  • The biggest speed limiting factor is the traffic lights, there are four lights you have to wait for: World Way (crossing north), Center Way (crossing north), Sky Way (crossing East), and then World Way again (crossing north). An elevated walkway (as used to exist between P1 and P7) could cut the time in half.
  • They cut into the parking lot just east of P7 to make a very nice wide and inviting walkway for that stretch.
  • They improved the sidewalk east of P1, but not as much as the one by P7.
  • There's still a really narrow stretch of sidewalk on the north side of Center Way that needs to be widened.
  • I was stepping onto my walkway at home 59 minutes after I stepped off the jetway at LAX, which is probably record time for recent years, except maybe when I had a really short turnaround and parked in P7 overnight.
  • The rate of people posting nasty complaints about LAXit to the LAX facebook page dropped off rapidly after they extended LAXit and moved Lyft over to its own area, adding another pair of entrance and exit driveways in the process.
LIH Prem, Need, Statman and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:53 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by chrisl137
The biggest speed limiting factor is the traffic lights, there are four lights you have to wait for: World Way (crossing north), Center Way (crossing north), Sky Way (crossing East), and then World Way again (crossing north).
From T7 it's a quick 5-minute walk to Sepulveda. I have done it many times. Head east, not north. Pass the police station and carefully cross the 2 lanes of southbound traffic leaving the airport. Continue on the south side of the onramp from southbound Sepulveda to eastbound Century. Then walk north to the center of the lighted pylons. That's where you can catch a city bus or Uber southbound. Save time and save $4

This walking route has no traffic lights to slow you down, unless you need to cross Sepulveda at Century to catch an Uber northbound.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll try that next time. I've been experimenting with different ways to/from LAX since they closed Lot C and even more now with LAXit there.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:56 am

An elevated walkway (as used to exist between P1 and P7) could cut the time in half.
that won’t happen In the near term since this is all temporary. The area in the middle will very soon become a major construction zone for the people mover. When that opens you will get there by bridge.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dancefreak
that won’t happen In the near term since this is all temporary. The area in the middle will very soon become a major construction zone for the people mover. When that opens you will get there by bridge.
When the LAX Automated People Mover becomes operational, arriving passengers will take the APM to the Intermodal Transportation Facility which will be the airport's pick-up and
drop-off location.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:12 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TWA884
When the LAX Automated People Mover becomes operational, arriving passengers will take the APM to the Intermodal Transportation Facility which will be the airport's pick-up and
drop-off location.
... after which the alternative of simply walking to Sepulveda will become even more attractive as a time saver.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dancefreak
I'm unfortunately all too aware of all of the above. I was really mostly lamenting the loss of that bridge - it was a huge timesaver when cutting things close.

The lot where the TNC pickup happens will also become Concourse 0, and work is already in progress on that.
dancefreak likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
given the hotel locations they pretty much have to make the border at sepulveda.
When LAWA first allowed TNCs to pick up from the airport a few years ago, this particular geofence made much more sense because at the time, it would make enforcement difficult if it extended beyond Sepulveda, as the fee would have been triggered even by drivers crossing through on Sepulveda. So to avoid that scenario, LAWA adjusted their geofence accordingly.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
drop-off location.
Yes...and you'll get to the people mover from the terminal via a bridge.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:06 am

Read through this whole thread and still confused. Landing at peak at LAX (9.30pm Tues, Delta), what should I do? Sounds like walk about 12 minutes to Hyatt and then Uber from there (to the AC South Bay which I’m sure the driver will love)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Read through this whole thread and still confused. Landing at peak at LAX (9.30pm Tues, Delta), what should I do? Sounds like walk about 12 minutes to Hyatt and then Uber from there (to the AC South Bay which I’m sure the driver will love)
If it were the first week of the transition I'd say you should just walk to your hotel, but the major bugs seem to be worked out so you can use any option. If you walk out to the Hyatt you might be doing your driver a favor because it probably won't be someone who had to wait in the airport pickup waiting lot for an hour to get a 2 mile fare. If you walk out to Sepulveda you'll have a decent chance of being someone's rematch.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
From T7 it's a quick 5-minute walk to Sepulveda. I have done it many times. Head east, not north. Pass the police station and carefully cross the 2 lanes of southbound traffic leaving the airport. Continue on the south side of the onramp from southbound Sepulveda to eastbound Century. Then walk north to the center of the lighted pylons. That's where you can catch a city bus or Uber southbound. Save time and save $4

This walking route has no traffic lights to slow you down, unless you need to cross Sepulveda at Century to catch an Uber northbound.
I was just looking at the street view to see where you get picked up - it looks like you go to the bus stop on southbound Sepulveda right in front of one of the pylons? Have you ever tried getting picked up a bit further south? There's a little landscaped island due east of T8 that looks like it has a couple paths worn from the sidewalk to the street for similar purposes, with the possible risk of having a sprinkler spraying where you want to walk.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried the Sepulveda pickup today - it ended up being a wash for time because the first driver went to the LAXit lot instead of going to where I was (and I included a note to the driver, should have called, too). I ended up cancelling that ride and getting another one and calling. He made it in about 3 minutes. The walk to the spot on sepulveda is definitely faster than to the LAXit lot, and it's easier on the driver if they know what they're doing, but it also ended up being the slowest pickup I've had since the LAXit lot opened (I've flown into LAX 4 times since it opened, did Uber/Lyft for 3 of them, parked in lot E for the 4th).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.