LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All LAWA operated buses pick up at the inner curb and use the bus-only lanes. That includes the FlyAway bus, Airline Connections, LA City Bus Center, Lot E bus, and bus to the green line. The pickup locations for everything are listed in the Wiki at the top of the LAXit thread. The lot E bus also goes to the off-airport rental car center as its first stop before Lot E.

Outer curb (islands) lower level is personal vehicles, TCP vehicles (including Uber Black and Lyft Lux), and rental car shuttles, and various limo services.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: AKAir 75K, BestWestern PE
In the short term I would just use the LUX options of rideshare if you must use LAX. LAX will eventually figure this out and it will be better, I hope.

Saying that I changed my next 8 flights to BUR because of this issue. If your 12 miles away is closer to BUR another option might be just using BUR for the next few months until this gets sorted.

Cheers, I did lots of traveling with kids. Its hard but worth it.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
A quick follow up + why LAWA still won't be able to get this right

Originally Posted by DELee
I understand - I just want to know when instead of, oops, LAX killed us by making it impossible operate years early.

David
Uh, told ya:

Yup, no more LAX PNF/Park One...

David

p.s. And, why LAX/LAWA still can't get this set up for Uber/Lyft/taxis to work right: They didn't take into account the impact of re-routing all of the traffic onto even smaller LAX side streets.. They will need to a) breach fences, cut new driveway curbs, etc., b) widen the small stretch of World Way North where the vehicles are turning in/trying to drive straight just south of the lot, c) potentially add light(s) onto Sepulveda south and north bound, d) put some of this traffic back onto other roads.

Good luck! We're all going to need it as they sort this out. And they won't want to admit that they goofed.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I arrived at LAX a few minutes ago. Not sure if this was the intent (probably was), but this is a huge gift to taxis. I took the shuttle and arrived at “Laxit” to a line of dozens of taxis. Uber and Lyft were both 15 minutes away in various parking lots. In a taxi to downtown LA now. If they allow Uber / Lyft to also wait in the lot, it would work way better

More details - it took me about 10 minutes to find a shuttle, and another 10 minute ride. My biggest issue is that Uber doesn’t get seem to know how to let you request a ride from the LAXIT lot right when you leave the airport terminal. I much prefer Uber when traveling for business due to ease of record keeping
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I arrived at LAX a few minutes ago. Not sure if this was the intent (probably was), but this is a huge gift to taxis. I took the shuttle and arrived at “Laxit” to a line of dozens of taxis. Uber and Lyft were both 15 minutes away in various parking lots. In a taxi to downtown LA now. If they allow Uber / Lyft to also wait in the lot, it would work way better

More details - it took me about 10 minutes to find a shuttle, and another 10 minute ride. My biggest issue is that Uber doesn’t get seem to know how to let you request a ride from the LAXIT lot right when you leave the airport terminal. I much prefer Uber when traveling for business due to ease of record keeping
Were you trying to do an Uber Pool/Lyft Line?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
No - I was trying to do Uber Black. Maybe I made a mistake in my request and should have done Uber X
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
No - I was trying to do Uber Black. Maybe I made a mistake in my request and should have done Uber X
If you do Uber Black you can still get picked up curbside downstairs. Same as it used to be, no getting on any shuttles. If you tried to get the Uber Black from the LAX-it lot, that was probably why they were all showing as 15 minutes away.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
when I did a shared lyft the first week it let me order at the terminal and arrived within 5 min after I did at the pickup lot. I got a bus from T7 as soon as I walked out of the terminal.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:33 pm
JBD

So, if one was arriving at T4 and planning on a taking a cab or an uber to leave LAX, could the quickest way now be to go to the arrivals level, grab the very first hotel shuttle that comes along, then either arrange an uber from that hotel, or grab a taxi from there? You'd avoid LAXit, and airport fees...

Does anyone see a problem with this method?

In all the hotel shuttles I've taken around the world, I've never been asked to show reservation details...

Edited after my post was moved from a thread about Hotel Shuttles to this one, and after the post I quoted and was replying to was deleted:

I had initially quoted a post that said the traffic on the upper level was now very light, and it was that data point that led me to consider the use of hotel shuttles

Last edited by JBD; Nov 13, 2019 at 7:08 pm Reason: To add context
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I live in LA so I don’t take hotel shuttles, but people have been reporting that they’re asking for reservation information. You might have better lucK with a rental car shuttle.

There are also numerous LAWA shuttles that get exclusive use of the inside curb on the lower level. Taking one to the city transit center or lot E would get you off airport and also out of the traffic on Century.
JBD likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM etc
Arrived at T1 yesterday, Tuesday afternoon, and walked to the LAXIT lot. From gate to getting in a car, it was a total of a 10 minute walk. Much more efficient than waiting for cars to fight traffic into the loop. Tradeoff is a lot more walking, even if one was to take a terminal shuttle because the curb queues require a fair amount of ground be covered.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by mrcool1122
Arrived at T1 yesterday, Tuesday afternoon, and walked to the LAXIT lot. From gate to getting in a car, it was a total of a 10 minute walk. Much more efficient than waiting for cars to fight traffic into the loop. Tradeoff is a lot more walking, even if one was to take a terminal shuttle because the curb queues require a fair amount of ground be covered.
LAX-it shuttle effectively does not stop at T1. The combined T1-T2 stop is much closer to T2, according to the waiting area map.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by JBD
So, if one was arriving at T4 and planning on a taking a cab or an uber to leave LAX, could the quickest way now be to go to the arrivals level, grab the very first hotel shuttle that comes along, then either arrange an uber from that hotel, or grab a taxi from there? You'd avoid LAXit, and airport fees...
The LAXit bus would take you nonstop to where you can walk 2 minutes to Sepulveda and Century. From there you can summon Uber or take a city bus. This should be slightly faster than your method.
JBD likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by nsx
The LAXit bus would take you nonstop to where you can walk 2 minutes to Sepulveda and Century. From there you can summon Uber or take a city bus. This should be slightly faster than your method.
How far do you have to be to NOT use the number system for Uber or Lyft I wonder.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by Need
How far do you have to be to NOT use the number system for Uber or Lyft I wonder.
I think there's a geofence whose eastern border is at Sepulveda Blvd. Anything inside the geofence is charged the LAWA fee and subject to the LAWA rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.