Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Continuing the fun with numbers exercise, let's assume at a peak hour there is a bus arriving every 5 minutes with 40 people aboard. Add another 120 people an hour walking to the lot (from T-1 and elsewhere) and we're at a 600 person queue in an hour. With strong dispatch oversight by LAWA, I guess it could work. A couple of necessities would be near instant availability of vehicles and an equal number of riders splitting the business 50/50 between the two providers.
13,500 rides per 16 hours is 844 rides per hour - your case of 600/hr is on the lighter side and gives a leisurely 7 minutes per load, where you assume each person gets their own ride, which is reasonable for a large fraction of pickups. If the distribution were very lumpy and all the ride demand were squished into 5 hours (demand for 2700 rides/hour), then each ride has to get loaded, moved, and the next vehicle in at 1 minute 40 seconds to keep the wait at zero.

I suspect part of Uber's complaint is that there's a difference in ridership between them and Lyft, and the way the queuing will work it will encourage people to even out the selection with their ride choices.

ETA: the goal from LAWA's point of view is to design the facility so that the wait time is determined by the availability of vehicles and drivers more than the facility capacity, and I think they've done a reasonable job of that, and even at 10% growth per year til 2023 when the people mover opens, they're still doing ok at 4 minutes per ride-load to keep the wait at zero.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AKAir 75K, BestWestern PE
I heard about this and decided to change my next (8) flights to BUR.
I thought it worked well the way it was but saying that I typically arrive at 6 a.m. when there was no traffic. I would not mind a walk in the morning to the pick-up area but even a 15 min delay in the morning can mean an extra hour on the freeway. So I will let LAX figure this out without me.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:57 pm

if 600-800 rides per hour is a real number are there going to be that many Uber Lyft cars per hour around LAX and where are they going to line up ?

I think 5 minutes is too short of a time if they have luggage , and you have bottlenecks getting the cars into the lot and out again.....

then you have the shuttle buses to get in the way.......

I hope they put a time lapse camera over in the corner so they can see where the problem areas are and tweek the set-up
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
if 600-800 rides per hour is a real number are there going to be that many Uber Lyft cars per hour around LAX and where are they going to line up ?

I think 5 minutes is too short of a time if they have luggage , and you have bottlenecks getting the cars into the lot and out again.....

then you have the shuttle buses to get in the way.......

I hope they put a time lapse camera over in the corner so they can see where the problem areas are and tweek the set-up
Those are the current actual numbers of Uber/Lyft rides at LAX. It's about 100,000 cars/day through the loop and 27% of it is rideshare. If you assume half pickup/half drop off, that's the 844/hr average as the current number of rideshares coming and going.

I haven't seen many people take 5 minutes to load a rideshare car - I think the only time I've taken that long was putting a couple of bicycles in the back of one where they had to rearrange stuff a bit. When I fly with a bike in a case it's still only about a minute to get the bike into an XL.

I suspect the buses will be using different roads than the rideshares - buses will come in and out from the horseshoe, and the cars will come in and out on Skyway or 96th or something like that.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just saw a post on Facebook from LAXit that they're testing the new traffic pattern (LAWA buses on the inside, cars on the outside) from 9am to noon this morning. It's only another half hour from when I'm posting, so probably not useful to anybody, but if anyone from FT happens to have done a pickup during that time, it would be interesting to get a report.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:44 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Im curious how much luggage some folks have! Even with a roller, in my experience once an Uber/Lyft pulls up, Im in and were pulling away in less than a minute. (Obviously some folks have different needs, but I think a 5 minute loading period is way more than enough time for most passengers).

My bigger concern is less about loading time per vehicle and the potential bottleneck of getting in and out of the lot (a left turn into the lot, and just one entrance and exit?)
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:03 pm

Does anyone know if this will apply to black / lux? Otherwise going to be a boon for black car services.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbfoot
Does anyone know if this will apply to black / lux? Otherwise going to be a boon for black car services.
Those are both TCP and should be able to pick up at the lower level islands.
pbfoot likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from LAX. They've extended the islands another 4 feet or so towards the terminals - I don't recall seeing that monday morning when I left, and I looked, because there was a ton of construction work going on around the first islands as you approach T1, presumably to channel buses and cars appropriately. The extra 4 feet of sidewalk by the islands makes them *much* more tolerable. The big bollards had made it hard to move along the islands, and they've left the bollards there, and added the sidewalk outside of them on the one side. It looks like when it's done they'll have two lanes between the terminal and the islands.

The whole loop was packed with vehicles. The cars in what will soon be the bus lane seemed to be moving pretty quickly, but out in the main drag it was very slow. The Lot E bus took about 20 minutes to get from T4 to T6, and then Century was packed on the way out.
Statman, LAXlocal, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I saw the extended sidewalks outside T4 and T5 as well. There are also temporary K rails being positioned in the inner loop. I think LAWA will deploy them on the 29th to block the entrances to the inner lane.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was wondering about those K rails - it wasn't clear if they were for blocking the inner lane entrances, or because drivers have become especially bad and were jumping up onto the islands (the way things have been it wouldn't surprise me). Most of them seemed about the right length to pull into the gaps to limit vehicle exchange between the inner and outer lanes, but they were positioned to keep cars off the islands.

I had a flight planned to arrive about 10:30 pm back into LAX on the 28th, just hours before the changeover, but extended the trip so I'm coming back on the 2nd. I'll be taking a rideshare and will report on how it goes.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA
LAXit pick-up plaza design and terminal traffic pattern redesign drawings

Here are some details regarding LAWAs new setup. LAXit bus goes around the pick-up plaza.
chrisl137 and ryw like this.

Last edited by alwaysflyingLA; Oct 27, 2019 at 10:14 pm
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
What about limousine/town car pickups? There are a lot less of those. Maybe they will still be allowed?
Originally Posted by ianmanka
My guess is all TCP vehicles will have to use this system.
Originally Posted by JBD
ianmanka you seem very well informed and I thank you for your posts, but I sure hope you're wrong!
Yes, I'm wrong, I got TCP and TNC acronyms confused.

The Skift chart is the best representation of what's changing in less than 24 hours:

ryw likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I got an email from Lyft today that seems to confirm they're going with the "get a number to show to your driver" system:

We've added new features to give you a smoother and faster pickup experience during LAX construction. Our Fast Match feature helps get you to where you're going quicker — with a dedicated line and unique code.
So hopefully this does indeed the way people were talking about, where you're not matched to a specific driver, and just get in line and show the code to whichever driver happens to be next in line once you hit the front of the line.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The bus schedule plan makes absolutely no sense. Why would LAWA allocate 5 buses to T1/T2 route when projected occupancy is so low? And why have a T3/T4 bus that skips a stop (TBIT) just to confuse everyone?

The bus routes needs to be simplified and needs to be based on the airlines served and not the actual terminal location.

Bus 1 (aka the Southwest/Delta bus): T1/T2/T3 then express to LAXit
Bus 2 (aka the TBIT bus): express to TBIT then express to LAXit
Bus 3 (aka the AA bus): express to T4/T5 then express to LAXit
Bus 4 (aka the Alaska/UA bus): express to T6/T7/LAXit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.