Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX-based Staff: Need Your Lost Baggage Advice & Insider Info

Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Employees of LAX airport, Norwegian Air, or the contractor(s) either of these businesses use for baggage/check-in services: I need your insider perspectives, and I’m even offering a hefty reward if you can find and secure the return of my checked bag.

So here’s the story.

On my direct flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Stockholm (ARN), Norwegian Airlines straight up LOST my checked bag.

When I reported the bag lost at ARN and gave their clerk my baggage receipt, he said there was no record of it ever being scanned into the system.

During check-in, I presented it to the clerk at LAX and placed it on the scale, as usual. Baggage tag was securely fastened. The clerk checked my passport and ticket and sent me on my way. But the airport was busy af that day and all the staff seemed super stressed and overburdened.

I’ve reported it lost in every way possible - with ARN airport immediately upon landing, where I received an IPR case number, etc; with Aviator (Norwegian’s 3rd party baggage service at ARN); with LAX Lost and Found through their online form; and of course with Norwegian Air through their email claim form plus multiple phone calls and case escalations.

Based on the information I’ve been given, it seems all identifying tags must have been ripped off somewhere along the line, or otherwise it should have been scanned somewhere along the line and identified (right?!?).

Also based on the above facts, I have a suspicion the bag never left LAX.

Norwegian customer service has been a joke. I ran all around ARN to their Lost And Found and the Aviator baggage service desk. I’ve been checking the LAX Lost and Found website with the updates lost bag photos.

Its been over 21 days now, but I’m not giving up and calling it a loss.

So my questions to folks with some behind-the-scenes knowledge are:

What happens to bags in this situation, per current airport standards? Is my bag just sitting somewhere, uncategorized and without a tag, at LAX airport? What possibly could have happened to it - totally stolen, seized by TSA without any report back to me, put on the wrong plane, etc? HOW was it never even scanned into the system?!

How can I get my bag back if it has NO identifying info on/inside it?

And most importantly, what person/company/airport department/etc at LAX can I contact to actually care about finding my bag while I’m out of the country?

I’m not kidding about the reward. If you can find my bag and have it flown to me by Norwegian to Stockholm, I will pay you. My entire LIFE was in that bag - 90% of my wardrobe, all of my shoes, all of my make-up/cosmetics, gifts for friends, and my motorcycle leather gear and boots.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if this helpful, but perhaps worth a try. It says contact your airline "FIRST" but not "ONLY" so I don't see them as completely shutting the door on you.
https://www.flylax.com/en/lax-baggage-lost-and-found
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Not sure if this helpful, but perhaps worth a try. It says contact your airline "FIRST" but not "ONLY" so I don't see them as completely shutting the door on you.
Thanks for your advice! I’ve already filed a report with Lost and Found just in case, though I don’t believe they are the department that handles luggage lost behind-the-scenes. They only deal with items lost by travelers themselves in the consumer-accessible parts of the airport.

I’ve recently made contact with Menzies, Norwegian’s 3rd party baggage handler, and they seem much more willing to help. Hopefully I’ll make some headway with them!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.