I'm walking to LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm walking to LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Inspired to try this on my next stop in LA. I always wondered how hard this was from the nearby hotels.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Except when In-N-Out is at stake
Del Taco is my personal SoCal vice

When I lived in Palo Alto, I used to drive to Campbell for Del, but it wasn't quite the same as the Los Angeles version.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:54 pm

I have walked from LAX to In and Out twice now, its easy, and there are sidewalks the entire way.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
This morning. It will be quicker than taking the shuttle van which can take an hour to swing around to 4.

I don't know how pedestrian friendly it is but I'm going to find out soon. I'm close--right at the entrance on Century Blvd (Homewood Suites).

Here goes nothing.
The only time that I have *not* walked from Homewood Suites/Curio"H" is when the shuttle turned up exactly as I was leaving the hotel, and even then I was tempted to make the walk anyway. It is very pedestrian-friendly - footpath (sidewalk) all the way.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Herrick
Nobody walks in LA
Except on treadmills like mice on a wheel!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
How did you do it? All along main roads or did you cut through parking lots or something?
you cycle along the footpath
I cycled from santa monica beach then folded the cycle ($100 fold up cycle) put it in the cycle bag and checked it in as luggage (flew to Brisbane)
(I really enjoyed the shower in the lounge :-) )
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Do the hotels/shuttles south of the airport (El Segundo) have less of a problem than those coming west on Century? (trying to pick a hotel for a 10 am flight).
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I tried to walk a few months ago from the Marriott to the runway close to the Radisson for some plane spotting, and was approached by some 2,05m tall guy who described himself as 'ex army' and wanted to force me to give him 5 bucks. I have kindly refused and the guy came very close shouting at me; whishing me and my family cancer etc. Before I got beaten up, I decided to run towards the lobby of the Ren and he luckily gave up.

Given that, I am hesitant to do any walks in the LAX area (not even to the terminals where I see normally plenty of cops).

Random question: I think the surroundings of LAX are generally not regarded as very safe, or am I wrong?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Do the hotels/shuttles south of the airport (El Segundo) have less of a problem than those coming west on Century? (trying to pick a hotel for a 10 am flight).
Take a look at this thread:
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably not. If you're south of the airport you have to either come up Sepulveda and go through the tunnel (probably fewer cycles of the light than coming off the freeway, but I don't do it much, so it might be comparable) or up Aviation and enter via Century anyway. The hotels outside on Century are an easy walk if you're a walking type - I checked back at where I stayed a few weeks ago and it was the Courtyard right next to where Ian stayed.

There's really no good way right now to move the enormous volume of people through the little road bottleneck into and out of LAX.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:11 am

Thanks for the link and info, I think we'll just stick with our hotel on Century. If I'm going to be stuck in traffic I'd rather be in the open air than in a tunnel. And we're headed for a cruise so will have way too many bags to walk. We'll just leave on a very early shuttle.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Duck1981
2,05m tall guy
The oddly-specific post of the day.

6 foot 8.71 inches tall. Was it Anthony Davis perhaps? He's new in town...maybe just lost and needed five bucks. Can happen to the best of us, although being on an NBA max deal should help your cashflow situation out a tad.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:30 pm

I was in a Jack in the Box recently (not near LAX) and I never noticed before that by the doors they have measurement notches - so you can tell how tall a thief or whatever is when they come in for ID purposes later. Never noticed that before and Duck's experience made me think of it (although he would have to convert from metric).
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was in a Jack in the Box recently (not near LAX) and I never noticed before that by the doors they have measurement notches - so you can tell how tall a thief or whatever is when they come in for ID purposes later. Never noticed that before and Duck's experience made me think of it (although he would have to convert from metric).
Most convenience stores, liquor stores, fast food joints, etc. have them.

Basically anyplace somebody'd want to rob. A well-positioned security camera should be able to help peg how tall the robber is to help identify suspects.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
They’ve had those since the 90’s, at least, and probably earlier.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.