2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by TWA884
American's standard offline domestic to international at LAX used to be 1:30 when they still interlined bags to other oneworld airlines; that probably factored in clearing security at TBIT, but not having to retrieve and check luggage.

I have never gotten checked luggage from American at LAX in less than half an hour. So, add that to the time it will take to check your luggage for your JAL, and we are probably at 2:00 - 2:15 give or take to be on the safe side. That gives you approximately a two hours cushion in case of irregular operations.

If the line for security at TBIT is long, you can clear security at the relatively new checkpoint on the arrivals level of the TBIT connector building, or, if you have PreCheck, it may yet be faster to clear security at T4; oops, JAL is not a participating airline, so forget about the PreCheck lanes.
Yeah, bummer about the lack of PreCheck, I love it. We're flying in business which will help with security some but I appreciate the tip about an arrivals-level security checkpoint.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Originally Posted by Moderator2
The three options are:
  • Enter terminal 4, and take the tunnels to 7
  • Walk on the sidewalk outside to 7
  • Take the shuttle bus

Unless your timing is perfect and you arrive at the shuttle stop when the right bus is pulling up, walking outside is probably the quickest. If you are not too burdened down with luggage, figure a 12 minute walk. The tunnels are probably an extra five minutes, but can be a bit confusing for newbies.
Thanks a lot. A follow up question: what is the best place to clear TSA? Can I do at TBIT and then follow the tunnels?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AVSA
Thanks a lot. A follow up question: what is the best place to clear TSA? Can I do at TBIT and then follow the tunnels?
Given your general unfamiliarity with LAX, I would clear TSA in T6 or T7.

T6 and T7 is connected behind security above ground in a clear and obvious way.

If you clear TSA in TBIT (or T4 for that matter), it will involve long walks above and below ground to reach T7, requiring multiple trips up and down escalators/elevators and changing from TBIT arrival up to departure level, back to arrival level at T4, then below arrival level to reach T5 tunnel, and then up to arrival level at T6, and finally up again to departure level to reach T7.

Since you are on LH-UA connection, I assume this is on one ticket and LH will tag your luggage all the way to your final destination. This is what I would do:

1. Collect your luggage at TBIT and clear custom.
2. Re-check your luggage at the re-check station just outside sterile zone but before leaving the secured area.
3. Once outside the secured zone, take elevator or stairs up to departure level and then exit TBIT.
4. Walk outside the upper departure level sidewalk to T7, it will take about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace.
5. Enjoy the sun.
6. As you walk by T6, take a look at the TSA lines. If it is short, go in there and clear TSA. If not, keep going to T7.

You can use the TBIT-T4 connector and T4-5-6 tunnels in the unlikely even of rain.

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 31, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Hello! I am flying AKL NZ x/LAX LH FRA in a couple of weeks. I will have my bags tagged through and my boarding passes on both flights. I know I need to clear US customs and immigration, drop my bag at the recheck station.

Do I follow the signs for gates and go through TSA screening before leaving the secure area, if I have my LH boarding pass? Or am I required to leave the secure area entirely, go upstairs, and join the masses upstairs queuing for TSA screening at TBIT departures level?

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jawnbc
Do I follow the signs for gates and go through TSA screening before leaving the secure area, if I have my LH boarding pass? Or am I required to leave the secure area entirely, go upstairs, and join the masses upstairs queuing for TSA screening at TBIT departures level?
You will be outside the secured area once you exit customs and immigration. All international passengers arriving in the US must clear TSA security before boarding their connecting flights (domestic or international).

After you exit the Federal inspection facility and recheck your bags, turn to your right. You will see a sign directing you to "Gates 40-159 / TSA Checkpoint." That is the relatively new checkpoint on the arrivals level of the TBIT connector building. The lines there are significantly shorter than at the TSA checkpoint on the departures level. Take a look at the photos in this post.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Thank you!

You will be outside the secured area once you exit customs and immigration. All international passengers arriving in the US must clear TSA security before boarding their connecting flights (domestic or international).

After you exit the Federal inspection facility and recheck your bags, turn to your right. You will see a sign directing you to "Gates 40-159 / TSA Checkpoint." That is the relatively new checkpoint on the arrivals level of the TBIT connector building. The lines there are significantly shorter than at the TSA checkpoint on the departures level. Take a look at the photos in this post.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Is there precheck at this checkpoint?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Is there precheck at this checkpoint?
No, but it is so much shorter it is worth going through there.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Had a boarding pass for a UA flight departing T7. Wanted to go through TSA Pre Check security at T4 since TBIT doesn't have Pre Check for the purpose of spending some time at the *G lounge in TBIT. Never had an issue before, until this time.

Walked up to the Pre-Check AA staffed (contractor?) person at the bottom of the escalator in T4 and she tried denying me entrance. Literally an interrogation and I was very polite until about the 4th question when I started getting annoyed. She tried questioning whether my boarding pass was valid (I'm ok with this), tried questioning the app I was using (still kinda ok since she probably was used to AA boarding passes...), tried questioning why I wasn't in T7 (um, sure?), tried questioning why I wasn't going to a lounge closer to T7 (ok...) tried questioning why I was traveling alone (really?), tried questioning why I didn't have more bags (was traveling very light, just small duffel). At the end of the last question, I interrupted here a little and was like, look, per airport policy, I'm allowed to go through security at any checkpoint if I have a valid boarding pass, and this is a valid boarding pass. If you disagree, please tell me now else I'd like to go see the TSA agents for screening. Her response was: "I know airport policy, I work here!" And with that she let me through.

But all in all, you're still able to get into TBIT via T4 Precheck. Just a heads up that they might try finding any reason for you reach the security checkpoint.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But all in all, you're still able to get into TBIT via T4 Precheck. Just a heads up that they might try finding any reason for you reach the security checkpoint.
Now that more non-US/Can/Etihad/Qatar carriers have joined Precheck, when is TBIT getting Precheck?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:05 pm

Tips for getting from T7 to T3 quickly?

I booked a ticket to LAX, then from LAX on two different airlines. I just realized the terminals are not connected. I need to get from T7 to T3, as fast as possible. Any tips?

I know I should've given myself more time, live and learn.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NDerin04
I booked a ticket to LAX, then from LAX on two different airlines. I just realized the terminals are not connected. I need to get from T7 to T3, as fast as possible. Any tips?

I know I should've given myself more time, live and learn.
T7 to T3 is the longest connection at LAX which means walking won't save you time vs. taking the shuttle bus. Either way, it is going to take you about 30 minutes to get from T7 to T3 from curb to curb. Add more time for T7 luggage claim (if you checked luggage on your United flight) and TSA checkpoint at T3. I wouldn't do this unless there is 90 minutes between the arrival and departure time of your two domestic flights. If one of these is an international flight, you are not making this connection under 3 hours.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:12 pm

Question

Any suggestions for which airline i should take?

I have to be in Fremont, CA by 11:30 am following an international flight. Not sure how long it'll take to get from TBIT to each of the terminals/airlines

I arrive 6:30 am on April 13th on Delta Flight 6799.

With a on time arrival and with global entry, carry-on luggage and luck, should i pick?

Base on the map, Terminals 3,4,5 are the closet. AA/Virgin/Delta

OAK
Delta 5702 - 8:10 am Depart/ 9:40 am Arrival
Southwest 1448 - 8:20 am/9:35 am
Southwest 679 - 9:10 am/ 10:25 am

Not sure if'll be able to make the delta flight, or if Terminal 1 transport is too far to make the 9:10 SW

SFO
AA 6040 - 8:00 am/ 9:28 am
Delta 4902 - 8:00 am/9:36 am
Delta 2756 - 9:00 am/ 10:43 am
Virgin 1935 - 9:05 am/ 10:25 am
SW 895 - 9:20 am/ 10:40 am

Same thing applies here, but leaving the airport to ground transportation might take longer than Oak?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
Any suggestions for which airline i should take?

I have to be in Fremont, CA by 11:30 am following an international flight. Not sure how long it'll take to get from TBIT to each of the terminals/airlines

I arrive 6:30 am on April 13th on Delta Flight 6799.

<snip>
First, it is much faster to get to Fremont from OAK than from SFO.

DL6799 is operated by Virgin Australia (VA). On average, it arrives 20-40 minutes late.

That being said, with GE and no checked luggage, it rarely takes more than 20 minutes to get from plane to curbside at LAX.

You probably can make the 8:10 am DL departure and very likely to make the 9:10 WN flight. It should take no more than 15-20 minutes to walk from TBIT to T1 (the airlines connections shuttle in not likely to save you any time).

I'd advise against taking the AA flight to SFO, as that flight leaves from the American Eagle remote terminal (involving a bus ride from T4 or T5 that can take 20 minutes factoring in the wait time).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
For Fremont, particularly towards the south side, SJC is even closer than OAK. If your ground transportation plans include renting a car, it'll also be faster at SJC (the shuttle bus to the OAK rental car center adds a substantial delay). The route is served by Delta, American, and Southwest, but with fewer options that meet your schedule. With a moderate amount of luck, the option I'd choose is DL1644, 8:10-9:32.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.