Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
I have no choice but to bring along a checked bag. I'm spending two days in Vancouver (starting tomorrow), immediately followed by five days in Atlanta.

I have a 3.5-hour layover at LAX. That should (perhaps) give me ample time to reclaim my luggage at the baggage claim downstairs, and then re-clear TSA security back upstairs.

The last time I connected at LAX, it was at the end of an international flight from AUK. My checked luggage was tagged to my final destination (EWR), but I had to reclaim it at the baggage claim. However, after exiting baggage claim, I merely placed my luggage onto a "transfer (conveyer) belt" before being directed to the TSA re-screening area for my domestic flight to EWR. I didn't have to re-check my bags.

Doesn't the same process apply for deplaning passengers arriving from Canada and connecting at LAX?
Since customs and immigration happen in Canada for US-bound flights, they're treated as domestic flights, so there's no transfer desk to drop bags off at.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
I have no choice but to bring along a checked bag. I'm spending two days in Vancouver (starting tomorrow), immediately followed by five days in Atlanta.

I have a 3.5-hour layover at LAX. That should (perhaps) give me ample time to reclaim my luggage at the baggage claim downstairs, and then re-clear TSA security back upstairs.

The last time I connected at LAX, it was at the end of an international flight from AUK. My checked luggage was tagged to my final destination (EWR), but I had to reclaim it at the baggage claim. However, after exiting baggage claim, I merely placed my luggage onto a "transfer (conveyer) belt" before being directed to the TSA re-screening area for my domestic flight to EWR. I didn't have to re-check my bags.

Doesn't the same process apply for deplaning passengers arriving from Canada and connecting at LAX?
No they are completely different process.

When you arrived from AKL, your luggage is already tagged to EWR because NZ and UA interline. Once you clear customs, you can just drop off your luggage. No need to take it with you to the new terminal.

When you arrive from YVR, you have already cleared custom in YVR so there is no custom. If you were flying on 2 airlines that interline (e.g. AC and UA) you don't even need to pick up your luggage. It is considered a normal domestic connection. Since in this case you are flying on two airlines that do not interline, you need to pick up your luggage and check it yourself. The good thing is both airlines operate from T2 at LAX so at least it is not a long walk with your luggage. Just go upstairs to DL counter and check in.

Also, maybe worth a shot to ask if Westjet agent if he or she can thru-check your luggage to ATL when you check in... you never know.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire
Hello folks, looking for some advice regarding whether or not this connection is doable or not:

Wednesday Nov 1st
Arr from SYD on AA @ 6:05am - TBIT
Dep for YUL on AC @ 8:15am - T6

I will have only carry on bags and be sitting fairly close to exit on the inbound flight. Not a US citizen and booked on different PNRs.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.
Regards,
Paul
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:24 pm

Interesting Experience

Arrived this morning from SYD on UA 840. Flight was a bit late and had an 840 flight to EWR on UA from Terminal 7. At the TSA checkpoint after baggage recheck (there was a decent line) the TSA agents were telling passengers that they couldn't transfer to United flights if they used the checkpoint. I told the agent that this was incorrect and she backed off but said it was "confusing" to figure out how to get to Terminal 7. It is actually well signed so no idea why they are offering up disinformation.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by paulyc
Hello folks, looking for some advice regarding whether or not this connection is doable or not:

Wednesday Nov 1st
Arr from SYD on AA @ 6:05am - TBIT
Dep for YUL on AC @ 8:15am - T6

I will have only carry on bags and be sitting fairly close to exit on the inbound flight. Not a US citizen and booked on different PNRs.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.
Regards,
Paul
3 hours is generally recommended for Int'l to Int'l connection at LAX, especially for non-US passport holders that cannot use the self-service kiosk, and on separate PRN.

However, since you don't have checked luggage, you have a shot at making this connection. The biggest delay at TBIT is custom and you will bypass that line after immigration. You can attempt this connection but you should be mentally prepared to deal with missing the connection.

Since you don't have checked luggage, try online checking with AC as soon as you land at LAX while your flight is still taxiing to gate. This way, AC knows you intend to make your flight and they may wait a little longer before giving your seat away. There is no mobile phone reception at TBIT immigration so you can't check in with AC while you wait in line to clear immigration.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:18 pm

Connection time I-D LAX - who's responsibility

Hi,

we found a flight which is much cheaper than all other offers but probably the connection time is not enough. We might be ok with missing the flight if the cost for hotel and a new flight does not fall back on us but on the airline.

Would that be the case with this fligt?
The problem is in LAX (international - domestic) with only 1.40 hours including immigration.

But it would be one booking operated by American Airlines.

Thank you
Attached Images  
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk! Our destination-specific forums are the best spot for this type of question, so I'll move this to the appropriate one.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Flyertalk
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Philippe Thiltges
Hi,

we found a flight which is much cheaper than all other offers but probably the connection time is not enough. We might be ok with missing the flight if the cost for hotel and a new flight does not fall back on us but on the airline.

The problem is in LAX (international - domestic) with only 1.40 hours including immigration.

Thank you
If the airline lets you book all the segments on one ticket, it means that the connection time does not violate the minimums they set for that airport. If you do miss the flight, they're also required to re-book you on the next available one.

That said, it does require a terminal change, and that plus the time required to go through immigration may make it fairly tight.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tmiw
That said, it does require a terminal change, and that plus the time required to go through immigration may make it fairly tight.
TBIT and T4 - from where, in my experience, all of AA's Hawaii flights depart* - are next to each other and are connected airside. It takes no more than five minutes to walk from one to the other; it takes no longer to walk from the customs hall exit to most gates at T4 than to most gates at TBIT.

I'd be concerned about clearing immigration, waiting for checked bags, if any - which at peak arrival time from Europe can take an hour - clearing customs and then going through TSA security and arriving at the gate for the LIH flight at a minimum 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time. If traveling on separate tickets, time must be factored for checking in bags at T4.

1:40 is doable for someone with Global Entry traveling with carry on luggage only. It probably can be done by ESTA passengers who can use the automated passport kiosks (that is, previously entered the US with ESTA). For anyone who has to stand in the regular immigration queue or with checked luggage, I'd recommend a minimum of 3 hours.

Please check the wiki at the wiki post at the top of the page for additional information.

*Except from some morning flights that depart from TBIT.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Philippe Thiltges
Hi,

Thank you
Very strange booking... who is selling you this itinerary? The trans atlantic and the Hawaii flights are all operated by AA but are ticketed on BA and AS respectively. I don't think AA is selling you this ticket. It must be a 3rd party and you may end up with multiple PRN and not a single ticket. If that is the case, you are not protected with a missed connection at LAX.

On separate tickets, I would recommend 2.5 to 3 hours in bound at LAX. Outbound is ok... you just need enough time to walk from one gate to another inside T4.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bzcat
... who is selling you this itinerary? The trans atlantic and the Hawaii flights are all operated by AA but are ticketed on BA and AS respectively...
Good catch. I figured out the the LAX-LIH leg was operated by American, but not the the LHR-LAX one was too.

@Philippe Thiltges, I'd add a few minutes to my estimate of the time needed for the connection between the two flights to factor in the walk from the arrival gate in T4 to the Federal Inspection Services facility in TBIT (were most arriving AA international passengers pass through immigration and customs).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Is it possible to get a VA boarding pass airside? I'm coming on DL on a separate ticket and they've already accepted the bags all the way to our final destination but couldn't/wouldn't print boarding passes.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:42 am

There are self-service kiosks behind security on the T4/TBIT side. Not sure about T3/TBIT bus depot side.

But either way, you should be able to check in at the gate to get a boarding pass.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Arrow Connecting from TBIT to other terminals

I'm coming in from LHR on a BA operated flight (lands in LAX at 1:55pm) and will buy a separate ticket from LAX-SEA. Saved a ton on this fare as opposed to routing to SEA so happy to buy 2 so I have insurance if delayed on inbound, flights are pretty cheap actually. I have GE and no luggage. I will be next to the departure door on my BA flight and could buy F on this connection, AS is the safe bet below, anyone think I could make the DL flight?

DL flight leaves at 2:45 PM (50 mins for connection)
UA flight leaves at 3:15 PM (80 min for connection, but no desire to fly UA)
AS flight leaves at 3:48 PM (113 mins, seems like the safe option)
AA flight leaves at 4:50 PM (I really dont want to hang around for this flight).
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Not much of an AA-related question to ask if TBIT->DL at LAX on separate tickets for a 50 minute connection is workable, is it?

You could on a no checked luggage/GE situation if it all goes perfectly (it's not unheard of to get in early on an international flight)- you have 20 minutes grace from original departure time before they start boarding, 35 before they can give away your seat without being at the gate. The question is what happens if you don't. I suppose if you feel fine buying two tickets anyway because you came out so far ahead, go ahead and do it?

FWIW, AS and UA are behind the same TBIT/T4-7 set of terminals, so you can use the T4 TSA checkpoint for international arrivals that often is pretty empty and fast (even though they don't have Precheck). Not so DL, you're going to be walking across to T2/T3. My experience there with T3 Precheck on AS/VX (back when both airlines used T3) is that it will take at least a few minutes to get through. Don't know about T2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.